PDA

View Full Version : LItte bit of gas in the diesel container?

Tom Fischer
04-18-2013, 11:57 AM
I had gasoline in the diesel container not long ago.
Thought it was empty.
But saw there was a very tiny amount left, just as the guy was putting diesel in again.
Maybe a 1/2 ounce of gasoline 87 octane, mixed in with 5 gals of diesel.
Does that make any difference?

Didn't put it into the machine yet.

Thanks!

Mark Bolton
04-18-2013, 12:04 PM
Nope, not an issue. I drove tractor trailer for a very short time and an old trucker who taught me a lot use to talk about drivers spiking their tanks with a couple gallons of gas for extra power. I can only imagine it wouldnt work very well with modern engines today.

I have it happen all the time where I have to use my diesel cans for gas and vice versa. Youll be fine.

ray hampton
04-18-2013, 6:31 PM
I will guess that diesel fuel weigh more than gasoline so the gasoline will be on top of the diesel

Mark Bolton
04-18-2013, 6:39 PM
I will guess that diesel fuel weigh more than gasoline so the gasoline will be on top of the diesel

They are the same product at different stages of refinement. They will mix instantly. Some older diesel engines even stated that up to a 30% mix is was acceptable. Kerosene, is commonly mixed with diesel to reduce gel'ing in the cold. None of them will float ontop of one or the other.

Steve Rozmiarek
04-18-2013, 8:13 PM
I work with a guy who put a 1/4 tank of gas in his diesel pickup. It worked fine, but we still give him grief about it.

Mike Henderson
04-18-2013, 9:06 PM
That small amount of gas will not cause any problems. The difference between diesel and gas is that gas doesn't have any lubrication properties so if you put all gas in a diesel engine the injector pump will probably die because it's lubricated by the diesel.

But a small amount of gas in diesel will not cause any problems.

Mike

ray hampton
04-18-2013, 9:22 PM
They are the same product at different stages of refinement. They will mix instantly. Some older diesel engines even stated that up to a 30% mix is was acceptable. Kerosene, is commonly mixed with diesel to reduce gelling in the cold. None of them will float on top of one or the other.

Since diesel weigh more than gasoline , why won't it float on top of diesel , water weigh more than the fuel, If you add water to your gasoline or diesel tank , will it mix or go to the bottom of the tank ?

Mark Bolton
04-18-2013, 9:33 PM
Water and petroleum are not soluable by each other. You know the old phrase "oil and water don't mix". However oil and oil do.

Bill Cunningham
04-18-2013, 9:34 PM
We used to use a spray bottle of gas sprayed into the turbine to flash up the diesels when ether wasn't available..Yes gas will mix with diesel, and No, water won't mix with diesel because it's an entirely different composition.

Tom Fischer
04-18-2013, 10:37 PM
Thanks for all the replies. Don't know much about the water/fuel thing, but I was told to always put diesel Stabil in the tank over the winter, which has a desiccant in it.

Charles Wiggins
04-19-2013, 9:46 AM
You may want to read through this to help you decide what to do. http://www.turbodieselregister.com/mixing_gasoline_and_diesel.htm

ray hampton
04-19-2013, 1:56 PM
We used to use a spray bottle of gas sprayed into the turbine to flash up the diesels when ether wasn't available..Yes gas will mix with diesel, and No, water won't mix with diesel because it's an entirely different composition.

I never own a diesel engine BUT IF the FUEL station add water to the fuel tank the way that water are pump into your gas tank,, I bought gas at a certain station that got caught adding water to your gasoline and after I hung the nozzle back up, the water kept on running out of the hose connection , must been a double hose setup

Mark Bolton
04-19-2013, 2:26 PM
You may want to read through this to help you decide what to do. http://www.turbodieselregister.com/mixing_gasoline_and_diesel.htm

Very interesting read. Probably should have asked Tom what he was using the diesel for. I assumed a small piece of equipment given the 5 gallon can. I highly doubt anyone is considering adding gas to the tank of their 60K cummins pickup :) A couple ounces in the bottom of a 5 gallon can is a different story.

The above read of course is pertaining to large percentages of gasoline and its additives going into the motor, likely turbo, of a vehicle similar to the upper left corner.

As an aside, with the money they lay out for a diesel and its overwhelming operating costs over its lifetime, I know several locals who wont even put blended bio in the tank for fear of problems. Sure glad I dont own one.

Tom Fischer
04-20-2013, 2:36 AM
Yes,. it's a Kubota turbo diesel, Lastec 3696 ZTR.
Pretty loud, but pretty fast.
Got it used a few years ago, 500 hours on the clock.
I told my wife I was having a mid-life crisis.
She said, go ahead, get it. :cool:

Mark Bolton
04-20-2013, 7:09 AM
Wow, I'll bet you can knock it down with that. See guys around with similar mowers and looks like they can mow at about 30mph

Tom Fischer
04-20-2013, 7:38 AM
Well, it doesn't go 30, but the book says it can mow at 9 MPH, which is a pretty fast run.
I can't go that fast, because 9 MPH is for a lawn that is like a billiard top, and I haven't gotten mine rolled anywhere near that.
But it is an 8' cut, with hinged decks, no scalping.
And I said loud too.
Sticker on the back says 105 db.

When this machine was new (2005) it was the largest Zero Turn made in America.
(... some pithy saying about the age of the boys and size of the toys)

Steve Losing
04-20-2013, 6:15 PM
Had a construction crew at my place last summer and they ran there diesel skidsteer out of fuel. They asked if I had any starting fluid and I did not have any. They then asked if I had any unleaded gas. They put fuel in the tank but could not get the fuel pump to prime so the unit could be started. He then took and opened the air cleaner took a piece of an old rag towel soaked it with gas laid it on the air cleaner, the minute they started to crank the engine if fired and away it went. So I learned a new and very useful trick if I ever run my truck or tractor out of diesel.

Craig Matheny
04-20-2013, 9:14 PM
Yes,. it's a Kubota turbo diesel, Lastec 3696 ZTR.
Pretty loud, but pretty fast.
Got it used a few years ago, 500 hours on the clock.
I told my wife I was having a mid-life crisis.
She said, go ahead, get it. :cool:

Tom I have about 1000 sq feet of grass at my house would yo have that done in 1 or 2 passes?