PDA

View Full Version : How match existing stain color?

Jerry Olexa
05-13-2005, 2:43 PM
By mistake, this was posted on support forum...Sorry

<HR style="COLOR: #d1d1e1" SIZE=1><!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->Age old question but I'm sure you guys can help. I have a +15 yr old home w doors and trim (prob pine/fir) topped with what I believe is a one coat wipe on finish. (I suspect its Duraseal). It does not have a topcoat of varnish or lacquer, etc. which gives it a nice, natural look. I have a few areas that either have dog scratches or sun damage,etc and I want to sand/refinish those few areas and "blend in". My goal is to have the new wipe on stain (that I'd mix/make) basically nearly matching the old.. I'm aware of 2 methods: 1) Mix up various stains in small quantity until u achieve desired look on scraps or 2) Get artists color and mix/blend in BLO until u get the right color.

What are your ideas on the best approach? What has worked for you? Thanks
<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->__________________

Ray Thompson
05-14-2005, 9:47 PM
I've struggled with the same questions for years and what I finally did is to go to Sherwin-Williams and get the stain closest to the color you want, making sure it is lighter. Then using their color system begin adding color until I match my existing piece. Then I can print from their compter a label spelling out exactly how we arrived at the desired shade. Next time just go back with the label and you have an exact match. Once used to their system you can dial in pretty quickly.

Ray

Matt Meiser
05-14-2005, 10:13 PM
I matched stain by experimentation. I started with something close, then added other colors to get what I needed. Ray's way sounds much easier.

However you do it, make sure you do it in the same lighting conditions as what you are matching. Lighting can dramatically change the color and things that match in one light can be totally different in another.