PDA

View Full Version : trying to identify old tools

chris ormsby
04-17-2013, 9:30 PM
Not sure what these are for but would like to know what these tools are for. Also any interesting ino would be great! Thanks in advance. Chris260266

Kim Gibbens
04-17-2013, 9:45 PM
Corkscrews and bottle opener?

Jim Matthews
04-17-2013, 9:51 PM
I'm guessing Chris likes his wine from a box, and only owned a can opener with a motor.

- OR -

We're on the receiving end of a chain-pulling session.

I'm still laughing about some of the cutting-edge Bond greebles that look so dated today.
Cell phones the size of a lunchpail come to mind.

So do lunchpails, for that matter.

Bill Houghton
04-17-2013, 10:50 PM
So do lunchpails, for that matter.

Hey, hey! I carried a lunchpail for most of my career, including 22 years as a manager in Human Resources. I preferred the metal kind, although I had to find them at garage sales. Not obsolete at all; they protect the food a lot better than a paper bag, AND they don't use up trees!

Classics are never dated. Geez. It's like saying a Stanley plane is dated.

Mike Cogswell
04-17-2013, 11:52 PM
Two gimlets and a bottle opener?

Rick Whitehead
04-18-2013, 10:24 AM
Two corkscrews and a bottle opener.
Great tools for use AFTER woodworking!
Rick

Jim Koepke
04-18-2013, 11:59 AM
I bought my last lunchpail at Restoration Hardware in 1996. Still have it and it is used for a place to keep tools in the house.

The OP's items do look to be a couple of corkscrews and a cap lifter. The all metal corkscrew is the only item that looks to have some value to a collector. Not sure about the cap lifter, my brother sells them all the time on that auction site.

jtk

Bill Houghton
04-18-2013, 3:45 PM
Not sure about the cap lifter, my brother sells them all the time on that auction site.

jtk

Does it have to be all metal and have the end to open an old-style beer can to qualify as a church key?

Jim Matthews
04-18-2013, 3:49 PM
Does it have to be all metal and have the end to open an old-style beer can to qualify as a church key?

Depends on your religious persuasion.
As a Charter member of the Church of Bob (scientist), we naturally cut people slack.

Anybody remember the folder issued with dogtags to open cans?
Those were great, until the rust set in.

I had a buddy, kept his lubed with whatever oil came outen der can.
He was easy to find, in a crowd, after dark, when the tents warmed up from the inside...

harry strasil
04-18-2013, 9:04 PM
They came in boxes of "C" rations and we called them P38's.

steven c newman
04-18-2013, 9:47 PM
The P38s were nice, except when that pointy thing started to dig into the chest hairs. Knew a time when i nad about a dozen of them.

Corkscrews? or, Gimlets? Bottle opener, or a tool to bevel an edge with?

Jim Koepke
04-19-2013, 12:08 AM
They came in boxes of "C" rations and we called them P38's.

This one has been on my key ring since the late 1960s.

Somewhere around here there is a larger one. Can't recall if they were called P42s or P45s.

jtk

David Paulsen
04-19-2013, 2:37 AM
Wow Jim, I hope you don't put your keys in your pocket, or you might open a can of something, well, you do not want to open!?

Tom Vanzant
04-19-2013, 11:02 AM
My P38 dates from 1961. The parkerized finish has worn off from 50-odd years in my pocket attached to my fingernail clippers. When TSA decided to confiscate nailclippers as "dangerous items", the P38 was retired to my cufflinks box.

daniel lane
04-19-2013, 12:50 PM
I quit carrying my P38 years ago, but keep it in with the hiking/camping stuff. Some day, the kids will be old enough that camping will be fun, and I can let my boy spend an hour trying to open a can with it. :)

daniel

Ken Fitzgerald
04-19-2013, 1:13 PM
Like Jim, I have a P-38 on my key chain. It's been there since the late 60's.

You'd be surprised how many other uses thing has experienced beyond it's original purpose!

Jim Koepke
04-19-2013, 2:14 PM
Like Jim, I have a P-38 on my key chain. It's been there since the late 60's.

You'd be surprised how many other uses thing has experienced beyond it's original purpose!

Mine is kept between keys which hold it closed in my pocket and can be used to add leverage when it is in use.

Like Ken, mine has been used served other purposes including as a screwdriver when the other one on my key ring is too small. A friend showed me how to wrap a rubber band around it so it can be used to open bottles. Since then my brother gave me a bottle opener from one of my favorite brewers that now resides on my key chain.

It is also good for breaking tape on packages.

jtk