PDA

View Full Version : Grizzly 1023RLX vs 0691

john parrish
04-17-2013, 3:54 PM
I've narrowed my search for an affordable cabinet saw to these two and have read almost every thread on them(most are several years old) and remain as undecided(confused) as ever. Any comments (bad and good) would be appreciated. Thanks!

Jeremy Killingbeck
04-17-2013, 5:50 PM
I can tell you that I had the same debate for some time & I just purchased the G0691. I received it about a week ago and so far have no regrets. Below are the reasons that I decided on the 0691: From what I have read I don't think that you will go wrong with either saw, but for me the 1023 did not offer anything that was worth more $$

1. Proven design
2. Quick release riving knife design (works very nice by the way)
3. More efficient motor (I can use a 20A outlet vs 30A, which kept me from rewiring)
4. I hear mixed reviews on the dust shroud on the 1023RLX (some said that it clogged up & did not improve dust collection)
5. $120 cheaper

Harry Simms
04-17-2013, 6:46 PM
I went through the same decision in March. I drove to Springfield to Grizzly thinking I would buy the 1023, but wanting to compare. After looking at both and talking to a very knowledgeable salesman, I decided on the 691. Two reasons - First, the release for the riving knife/blade guard is accessible from the top on the 691, and you have to access the release on the 1023 from a side hatch. Second, some of the adjustments on the fence are easier on the 691. Other than that, I did not find any significant differences that mattered to me. I liked the idea of the single belt on the 1023, but that was not a deciding factor for me. The more efficient motor that John mentioned was also a factor. I already had a dedicated 20 amp circuit for my table saw, so it was fairly simple to convert it to a 20 amp 240 volt circuit,

I'm very happy with the saw I have. It is powerful and smooth, a big step up from the Craftsman contractor saw I was using. However, if I had decided on the 1023, I think I would have been just as happy with it. I don't think there is a huge difference in the saws.

Cary Falk
04-17-2013, 7:13 PM
I have the 1023RL and need to clear up a couple of incorrect statements in this thread. The 1023 does not require a 30A circuit. The motor plate states only one more amp than the 690/91. I run mine on a 20A circuit all the time without any issues. If I recall the 690 states 13A and the 1023 is rated at 14A. You do not have to release the riving knife from the side door. I remove mine all of the time from the top. My dust shroud only gets clogged up when I don't turn on the DC. Both appear both great saws. I don't regret going with the 1023 instead of the 690. Carry on.

john parrish
04-17-2013, 7:25 PM
Thanks Jeremy and Harry. I was leaning toward the 691 and your comments have pushed me further in that direction. What do you think of the miter gauge and fence system (accuracy, ease-of use, etc)?

Travis Kriza
04-17-2013, 9:00 PM
I have the 1023RL and need to clear up a couple of incorrect statements in this thread. The 1023 does not require a 30A circuit. The motor plate states only one more amp than the 690/91. I run mine on a 20A circuit all the time without any issues. If I recall the 690 states 13A and the 1023 is rated at 14A. You do not have to release the riving knife from the side door. I remove mine all of the time from the top. My dust shroud only gets clogged up when I don't turn on the DC. Both appear both great saws. I don't regret going with the 1023 instead of the 690. Carry on.

Just curious, as I have a 1023rlx, how do you do the riving knife from the top? Did you just loosen the quick release so it can be pulled straight out? Mine is tight to the point of requiring using the side door.

im personally happy with my 1023. The only time the dust collector clogs is if I'm doing thin rips and the cutoffs fall in. Otherwise it works fine. I have been thinking of modifying it so its less likely to clog but may just start using a ZCI since that would also eliminate the problem.

Cary Falk
04-17-2013, 9:12 PM
Just curious, as I have a 1023rlx, how do you do the riving knife from the top? Did you just loosen the quick release so it can be pulled straight out? Mine is tight to the point of requiring using the side door.

I just flip the lever and pull it out. I have to wiggle the lever and the knife a little bit to get it back in but I don't see how using the side door would help out.

Mark W Pugh
04-17-2013, 9:57 PM

Removing the blade also helps.

scott spencer
04-17-2013, 10:07 PM
The G1023RL uses a vertical height adjust mechanism that has dovetail ways, as opposed to an older style swing arm of the G0690. It also has a wide serpentine belt vs the standard 3 v-belt drive system on the G0690. The G0690 has an Asian made Leeson motor. The G1023RL uses the well proven Shop Fox Classic fence. The 1023 is made in Taiwan, the G0690 in China. Both have large happy followings, and neither saw any significant chinks in the armor that I'm aware of. I'd be inclined to pick the 1023RL for the improved height mechanism and the updated drive system.