PDA

View Full Version : PM66 Riving knife question

Lud martinson
04-17-2013, 1:36 PM
Hey Guys,
First time poster...I'm in the process of rebuilding a 1976 PM66. I've been over to the Delta / Biesemeyer site and looked at several of their quick change riving knife models. I'm having trouble visualizing how it would attach to the bearing arm so that it travels up and down with blade depth changes.
Any help and maybe the specific model # would be greatly appreciated.

Michael Lutz
04-17-2013, 6:06 PM
It won't travel up and down with the blade. The Biesmeyer mounts where your splitter is and is effectively a splitter. It does not change elevation with the blade and the distance between the splitter and the blade will vary based on the depth of the blade. I had a Biesmeyer for a later model PM66.

Nelson Howe
04-17-2013, 6:29 PM
I have a Shark guard on my PM66. It works great. Comes off and on easily , which means I use it.

Nelson

Lud martinson
04-18-2013, 12:18 PM
Michael - I think you are correct. I wish I had thought about this when the trunnion was sitting on my bench.

Nelson - thanks for that. Never heard of Shark Guard. Interesting site but I think it's basically the same in that it does not remain consistant with the blade height.
At this point I believe I'm too far along in this project to do another tear down.

Bill Wyko
04-18-2013, 12:23 PM
I have that same saw for sale. I'll look at it today & see what you are talking about. In the mean time, welcome to SMC.

Michael Lutz
04-18-2013, 12:38 PM
I had the Shark Guard also and it was similar to the biesmeyer in respect to not remaining consistant with blade height. The arbor would need to be redesigned or at least severly modified in order to have a riving knife function with the PM66. It may not be practical to do it.

Steve Peterson
04-18-2013, 2:29 PM
I also have the Shark Guard with a 2005 PM66. It works great but is only a splitter. A true riving knife would probably require a new trunion design (as in a PM2000).

I think the Shark Guard is the best option. It can be ordered with a 4" dust port and also comes with 2 different height simple splitters. I use those most of the time and usually put in the complete guard when I am cutting plywood.

Steve

glenn bradley
04-18-2013, 3:24 PM
Welcome Lud. To your question, the PM66 does not have the mechanism to attach a riving knife. Maybe a look around the **** site (http://www.the****store.com/) could give you some ideas as to how to make your own. Other than their offering, I am not aware of any non-engineered in riving knife options.