PDA

View Full Version : New MM bandsaw?

Jim O'Dell
05-13-2005, 1:24 PM
I just read on another forum that Mini Max has come out, or is coming out, with a new 16" bandsaw. Model E16. Regular price to be 1600.oo, intro price of $995.00!! I've emailed MM about this, to see if there is any information, but untill I get that back, have any of you heard anything about this? Jim.

Jeff Sudmeier
05-13-2005, 1:39 PM
Wow! There is going to be a feeding frenzy over this one! The Rikons and Grizzlys of the world may be hurting if they keep the price that low!

Jim O'Dell
05-13-2005, 1:48 PM
Yeah, you're right about that, Jeff. The other tidbits were 2.5 hp motor, 12" resaw, made in Italy. I don't want to get excited about it if it's not true. Maybe I'll get some info when I get to my e-mail when at home for lunch in about 25 minutes. I'll repost if and when I get anything. Jim.

Brad Schmid
05-13-2005, 1:57 PM
The details mentioned make it sound like an S16. Maybe there's going to be a rebadge or re-release of that model... Certainly can't find any info about it on the SCM Group or MM web pages. If it is anything like an S16, it would be an excellent bargain at $995.

Brad

Carlo Petrilli
05-13-2005, 2:04 PM
Jim,

I recieved the following email on that bandsaw:

Dear Carlo,

We have good news, better news, and great news!

We have just unveiled our new Mini Max USA E16 Bandsaw; it's designed for the serious home-hobbyist - please check the specs: they're attached. also please take a look at the pictures I've attached.

It's made in the same factory in Italy as our highly-rated MM series of Bandsaws!

It's special priced at an introductory $995.00!

It comes standard with a magnetic-start, high-torque-wound, continuous-duty, 2.5HP 220 volt motor, and a mobility-kit, rack-and-pinion adjust, foot-brake and safety switches for ultimate safety.

This is a great package that even includes a couple of blades!

E16 BANDSAW
The Italian-Made Bandsaw Solution
For the Serious Home Hobbies

A full 12” Resaw Capacity
A 15 _” Throat Capacity
Standard 16” x 19 _” Cast Iron Table
A powerful 2.5 HP, 220 volt, continuous duty motor
Easy to adjust, sturdy Euro-guides
Rack and Pinion height adjustment
Mobility Kit standard
Cast iron wheels
Cast iron fence (easily adjustable for drift)
Footbrake with micro-switch for added safety
Micro-switch on the doors for added safety
Welded-Steel frame construction with double beam construction on the machine’s spine
Handy Tool kit
143” standard blade length
_” to 1” Blade Capacity on standard guides, and optional cool-blocks will accept 1/16” and 1/8” blades
Tongue and Groove Snap-on Tires
Telescoping Blade Guard
Tension Gauge
Sturdy Steel Trunion
Made in the same factory with our World-Class MM series Bandsaws

Carl Hultquist
Mini Max USA
1-866-343-6868
chultquist@minimax-usa.com?????

?

Jim O'Dell
05-13-2005, 2:17 PM
WOW! What's there not to like?? My only question is how close to the table are the lower guides? Can't get email to load at this moment. Thanks for the heads up! Jim.

Michael Ballent
05-13-2005, 2:22 PM
Wow! There is going to be a feeding frenzy over this one! The Rikons and Grizzlys of the world may be hurting if they keep the price that low!

Oh my :eek: it's going to be that Bessey clamp Sears bargain. Their credit card machine is going to melt down from the orders.

Alan Tolchinsky
05-13-2005, 2:25 PM
That looks very similar to my MM16 BS except the 16 has more solid cast iron wheels and mine came with a 3.5 h.p. motor. Mine has a 105" blade so even that's close. The 16 has the brake, switches, and the Euro guides. It seems like a clone of the MM16.

Now the question is: does it come with the warped table that I have on mine? :( Hopefully MM is getting their quality better now on that. But at this price it seems like a steal.

Jim O'Dell
05-13-2005, 2:44 PM
I just sent the salesman I've been working with some an e-mail. One thing I forgot to ask was what size and how many dust ports. Guess I have something else to ask when Nick emails me. Jim

Scott Coffelt
05-13-2005, 2:59 PM
Wow, would have loved to have had that. Still like my Grizzly G0513, but holy cow what a nice unit for a great price. I will say there will be some frenzy action going on....

I must say one thing, it sure looks like Grizzly is helping the market introduce some nice price points and quality products.

Maurice Ungaro
05-13-2005, 3:10 PM
WOW! What's there not to like??
I'll tell you what's not to like: Me just having bought a lowly 14" Delta BS!!!

Scott Coffelt
05-13-2005, 3:17 PM
So when is it available to buy or order?

Frank Pellow
05-13-2005, 3:21 PM
It looks like agreat saw at a great price.

For some of us, the fact that they don't sell the saw in Canada is another thing not to like.

And, a more specific thing for me not to like is that I recently bought a very similar 16" ACM Star 400 bandsaw at about twice the price.

David Fried
05-13-2005, 3:27 PM

I bought my Delta 14" not too long ago also. If we were in the market now we could chose between the E16 or a used Delta from the flood that will hit the market!

Jim O'Dell
05-13-2005, 3:40 PM
I think I actually made a good choice this time by getting the Cyclone first. But I'll have to borrow money from the wife to make this happen anytime soon. The tool fund is just over 250 smackers at the moment. But this really does look sweet. I still have some questions that need to be answered. I have seen one poster on another forum that ordered one that should be delivered next week. He will do a write up on it when available. Hopefully my emails to MM will answer the questions. Jim.

Jeff Sudmeier
05-13-2005, 3:55 PM
David,

That is what I am hoping for! I have the large resaw master, but I could really use a 14" bandsaw. Hopefully a bunch of people will replace theirs and I can pick one up for a good price :)

Bruce Page
05-13-2005, 4:58 PM
I just sent the salesman I've been working with some an e-mail. One thing I forgot to ask was what size and how many dust ports. Guess I have something else to ask when Nick emails me. Jim
Jim, That sure is a sweet looking saw!

It looks like the dust port setup is the same as the regular MM16. I installed an American sized port on mine to allow me to use my quick connect hose.
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=10090

thomas prevost
05-13-2005, 5:16 PM
Perhaps you guys can help me out. I have a Delta 14" with riser and will keep. But I am doing more resaw. I am looking to purchase a bandsaw strictly for resaw. Rikon $999, New Shopfox 19"@$875, or the new MinMax16" @$999. The question is how much do I gain with being able to use 1 1/2" blades? Would sacrifacing some of the quality of the Laguna to be able to use 1/1/2 blades be worth the trade off?

Frank Pellow
05-13-2005, 5:46 PM
Perhaps you guys can help me out. I have a Delta 14" with riser and will keep. But I am doing more resaw. I am looking to purchase a bandsaw strictly for resaw. Rikon $999, New Shopfox 19"@$875, or the new MinMax16" @$999. The question is how much do I gain with being able to use 1 1/2" blades? Would sacrifacing some of the quality of the Laguna to be able to use 1/1/2 blades be worth the trade off?
What makes you think that the new MM16 would have less quality than the Laguna?

Richard Wolf
05-13-2005, 8:25 PM
For some of us, the fact that they don't sell the saw in Canada is another thing not to like.

Frank, I'm just curious, how come you can't get a MM shipped into Canada? Couldn't I send you one if I wanted?

Richard

thomas prevost
05-13-2005, 8:27 PM
Frank,

MY ERROR!!! I meant the MiniMax> Mentally, I was comparing the three I listed. The fine workmanship of the Mini Max to the Rikon which appears to be more of a workhorse and the Shopfox in the middle.

Again sorry for the error in my corro.

Frank Pellow
05-13-2005, 8:41 PM
Frank, I'm just curious, how come you can't get a MM shipped into Canada? Couldn't I send you one if I wanted?

Richard
I investigated getting Mini Max bandsaw about 6 months ago and found that the US company does not sell into Canada nor is there suport in Canada. Yes, I could have had an American friend purchase one for me, then had it shipped to Canada but the border-crossing brokerage fees and shipping were prohibative.

Tim Morton
05-13-2005, 9:17 PM

Ditto.....I think that the starter of this thread should have put a disclaimer in the title....those who bought a bandsaw in the past month should NOT read this./.......:eek:

Jim O'Dell
05-13-2005, 10:35 PM
Ditto.....I think that the starter of this thread should have put a disclaimer in the title....those who bought a bandsaw in the past month should NOT read this./.......:eek:
I'll remember that for future reference ;-)))) Jim.

Jim O'Dell
05-15-2005, 9:09 PM
Still nothing on the Mini Max web site. I have emailed MM twice about this saw, one generic, one to the salesman I've talked to off and on...so far no answer. Has anyone asked them how long the intro offer is good for? I'm no where near ready to have a bandsaw in the shop yet (in the middle of the shop rehab), but I don't want to let this thing get away. I broke the news to the LOML last evening and asked her to watch for a VISA/MC application that was 0% so I could pay the tool off with my spiff money from work over the next 8 to 10 months. She didn't even look up over the book she was reading. I'll take that as a YES!!
If anyone has any info on the intro time, please let me know. THANKS!! Jim.

Nick Mitchell
05-15-2005, 9:56 PM
Cooper and Horton in Toronto handle MiniMax machines up here. I spent some time at their showroom. They also are the SCM dealer. I got the distinct impression that they only carried MM because they had to. In fact , while SCM comes with full professional level support from C and H if you buy a MM, you're basically on your own once you step out the door with the machine. I would consider buying SCM up here but never MiniMax. I did get the impression that MM USA would be glad to help out over the phone for a Canadian customer, although this does get them in tricky territory.

I investigated getting Mini Max bandsaw about 6 months ago and found that the US company does not sell into Canada nor is there suport in Canada. Yes, I could have had an American friend purchase one for me, then had it shipped to Canada but the border-crossing brokerage fees and shipping were prohibative.

Howie French
05-15-2005, 10:07 PM
Still nothing on the Mini Max web site. I have emailed MM twice about this saw, one generic, one to the salesman I've talked to off and on...so far no answer. Has anyone asked them how long the intro offer is good for? I'm no where near ready to have a bandsaw in the shop yet (in the middle of the shop rehab), but I don't want to let this thing get away. I broke the news to the LOML last evening and asked her to watch for a VISA/MC application that was 0% so I could pay the tool off with my spiff money from work over the next 8 to 10 months. She didn't even look up over the book she was reading. I'll take that as a YES!!
If anyone has any info on the intro time, please let me know. THANKS!! Jim.

Jim,

I recieved the following response from MM today.....

The weight of the E16 is a touch under 300 pounds; the 2-1/2 HP motor
is from the same company (in Italy) who supplies our motors for the
MM16, MM20, MM24 etc.; the shipping costs to zip 01571 would be $186.00
FOB, or $243.00 if a liftgate delivery is required; the free blades
included would be a 1/4" and a 3/4" steel.

We are just about out of the promo machines, so you may have to wait
for the next shipments to arrive; by then the units will be on the
website in the $1,395 to $1,595 price range

Howie

Jim O'Dell
05-15-2005, 11:07 PM
Thanks Howie!

Kelly C. Hanna
05-15-2005, 11:36 PM
That is a sweet deal for sure. I just nabbed me a 12" Delta in the box new for $150, so it might be awhile before I can get another one....:rolleyes:

Jim O'Dell
05-16-2005, 10:00 AM
Well, I did it!!! Had to dodge a few customers and call back. Come to find out, the sales rep I had e-mailed with some last December is no longer with MM. Spoke to Michael, and he was very helpful. Said mine should show up in about.........1 day!! I was going to go after it Saturday, but found out that shipping with liftgate was only $120.00. It would have cost me $70.00 or so in gas to go myself, plus losing the day working on the shop doors.
Michael was very up front that this is not a MM16. He made it sound like it is very similar to the S16. The guides are about 3" below the table, with some movement for adjustment. It is not as heavily built as the MM16, which we all knew already. But for $995.00, I can live with that. The S16 at 1400 last December wasn't that far off the 1995.00 price of the MM16. Now that difference is more like 1500.00.
Now I've got to figure out a place to park this puppy until I get my shop finished!!!! No, your ship is not close enough! Jim.

Tim Morton
05-16-2005, 10:08 AM
Well, I did it!!! Had to dodge a few customers and call back. Come to find out, the sales rep I had e-mailed with some last December is no longer with MM. Spoke to Michael, and he was very helpful. Said mine should show up in about.........1 day!! I was going to go after it Saturday, but found out that shipping with liftgate was only $120.00. It would have cost me $70.00 or so in gas to go myself, plus losing the day working on the shop doors.
Michael was very up front that this is not a MM16. He made it sound like it is very similar to the S16. The guides are about 3" below the table, with some movement for adjustment. It is not as heavily built as the MM16, which we all knew already. But for $995.00, I can live with that. The S16 at 1400 last December wasn't that far off the 1995.00 price of the MM16. Now that difference is more like 1500.00.
Now I've got to figure out a place to park this puppy until I get my shop finished!!!! No, your ship is not close enough! Jim.

Nice Job jim..glad you got one!! Obvious pictures to follow I'm sure!!!:D As to where to put it...I think it would look nice in the living room for awhile...call it "art"...(picture mikey from OCC..with the fingers making "quotation marks").

Jim Becker
05-16-2005, 10:47 AM
Good deal, Jim. And Michael is an excellent guy...he's been my rep since 2003 and sold me both my FS350 and MM16.

Jim O'Dell
05-16-2005, 12:23 PM
Thanks guys. I've got to go clean out a path to get it in the shop. Lots of wood and trash in the opening. (notice I didn't say door way? Have to have doors to say that don't you?)
Your right Jim, Michael was very helpful. Nick was ok as well. Turns out that Michael is who I talked to at the local show last Dec. Nick wasn't at the show and Michael is who greeted me. I thought the S16 at the 1400 sale price last year was too close to not just save for the MM16 when at the show, and that I might get an S14 at the end of this year to get me going. Micheal remembered that!! Wish my brain worked that way.
Tim, I'll take pictures when it gets here. But it will probably be pictures of it in it's crate. I will open it up enough to look for damage, but until I get the doors done, and wiring in, I'll just have to hug it every once in a while as I walk past. Jim.

Brian Triplett
05-16-2005, 12:47 PM
I call them this morning ~10:30 they said they sold the last 3 this morning. :( (5/16)

Frank Pellow
05-16-2005, 1:42 PM
Cooper and Horton in Toronto handle MiniMax machines up here. I spent some time at their showroom. They also are the SCM dealer. I got the distinct impression that they only carried MM because they had to. In fact , while SCM comes with full professional level support from C and H if you buy a MM, you're basically on your own once you step out the door with the machine. I would consider buying SCM up here but never MiniMax. I did get the impression that MM USA would be glad to help out over the phone for a Canadian customer, although this does get them in tricky territory.
Yes, I checked out Cooper and Horton and decided that they really did not want to sell Mini Max.

Kurt Loup
05-16-2005, 2:03 PM
I called around 8 am this morning and ordered one of the last ones. It may be delivered on Friday. After seeing this post, I deliberated all weekend on whether or not to order it. I had been considering upgrading my current Jet 12" bandsaw for a couple months. After extensive online comparisons, I couldn't find a comparable saw with as much hp for the same price. I justified the purchase since I would spend about the same amount on a Grizzly, Rikon or Jet.

Kurt

Nick Mitchell
05-16-2005, 4:24 PM
The weight of the E16 is a touch under 300 pounds

I wonder what they consider to be "a touch" under? Check out the Centauro site if you want the specs on this machine. It would be the SP400 model.

Tim Morton
05-16-2005, 4:38 PM
I wonder what they consider to be "a touch" under? Check out the Centauro site if you want the specs on this machine. It would be the SP400 model.

Looks like 264 lbs if that is in fact the same saw...

http://www.centauro.info/COMUNI/PDF/01_SEGHE%20A%20NASTRO/SP.zip

Jim O'Dell
05-16-2005, 10:37 PM
I call them this morning ~10:30 they said they sold the last 3 this morning. :( (5/16)

What's really ironic about this whole deal is I read about this promo price on another forum, then posted here about it. The guy that started the post there didn't get one, either. Now that's just not right, and I told him so...then thanked him for the heads up! ;-))
You just never know what life is going to dish out. Jim

Tim Morton
05-17-2005, 8:16 AM
What's really ironic about this whole deal is I read about this promo price on another forum, then posted here about it. The guy that started the post there didn't get one, either. Now that's just not right, and I told him so...then thanked him for the heads up! ;-))
You just never know what life is going to dish out. Jim

I think he should mention to MM that he may have been responsible for more than a dozen sales with his thread....might get him some kind of a deal.

Craig Zettle
05-17-2005, 8:52 AM
Just a heads up on the weight of the e16, when my uncrated shrinkwrapped E16 arrived it weighed 326 lbs with small pallet. so figure 300 roughly. I have had the machine since february if you have any questions that you want a REAL answer and not a guess.

Jim Becker
05-17-2005, 8:56 AM
Just a heads up on the weight of the e16, when my uncrated shrinkwrapped E16 arrived it weighed 326 lbs with small pallet. so figure 300 roughly. I have had the machine since february if you have any questions that you want a REAL answer and not a guess.

Craig, welcome to the 'Creek!!! Now, where are those pictures of the E16?? 'Kind of a house rule, if you know what I mean!! ;)

John Renzetti
05-17-2005, 9:11 AM
Hi Craig, From the original posts on the E16 from this thread it looked like that this saw was an entirely new introduction into the USA. How come you have yours since February. Is this the S16 or the E16. The S16 I think is made by Meber, and that weight was close to 300lbs. The E16 is made by Centauro. I looked at the Centauro website and it looks like the E16 is the SP400 which they've had for a couple of years in Europe.
take care,
John

Craig Zettle
05-17-2005, 9:26 AM
You will probably not believe this, but the pictures of my machine are the ones posted by the minimax rep on this thread! You see, when I bought the machine it was considered a prototype and those pics are my machine. I know this because the machine had a info sticker on the column that was peeling off in the pics you see here (same pics they sent me back in feb) and when I received the machine I noticed the sticker was roughed up in the same spot. Also the handle on the fence is not correct as it is a knob that gets in the way of the lumber and needed replaced. Note this also in those pics.
Now the weight minimax states as a tick under 300 would be correct as the mobility kit handle is probably 20 or so lbs as well as the pallet, so trim those 2 items from the truckers weight of 326.
I have been debugging the machine for a couple of months now and it is running well. I will try to keep you guys posted if you have any specifics (but I am at
work !)
Oh, and one other thing, I'm sure you guys will be interested in. I paid 1100 + 200 shipping, so I am NOT HAPPY!!! Once I saw this so called introductory price (you know, the one I should have got ) I banged a couple of emails to my guys at MM. I'll let you all know how they treat me as that, in my opinion, is a window to the soul of a company.

Greg Narozniak
05-17-2005, 9:37 AM

Ditto to that and my Grizzly G0555 :(

Very nice looking unit

Greg Torok
05-17-2005, 9:45 AM
Hi, Just found this site after spending time over at Woodnet (Two-rocks). Just what I need, another forum :rolleyes:

Anyway, Craig... why did you keep this quiet for a few months? Did MM ask that? If so, did they give you that machine ;) Also, how rigid is the blade guard? Mine will be here later this week, but who can wait for such things.

Or are you just being quiet because the saw is a POS?

edit: just saw you posted the price, and IMO they should make VERY good on an adjustment - and then some.... because you purchased a prototype, and having worked with prototypes, they get a workout by most who care to at the company. Not a bad thing, as you know all will be correct, but just a point of bargaining.

Anyway, there has been reference to the SP400... and thought I should point out a few things. The E16 has the bottom wheel located lower then the SP400 with an extra 15" of blade as well. Guide post and fence are different as well... so it's a very similar machine (same frame) with a few modifications.

Craig Zettle
05-17-2005, 10:16 AM
Hi Greg,
I am new to this forum, but I did post a review on another WW website a little while ago. If i only knew you guys were interested, as the guys on that other site didn't seem interested at all.
I have extensively used\tested this machine for a couple of months now, from resawing maple logs to cutting dovetails and it works great. Plenty of power (2.5 italian centauro horses) , blade changes are easy, big tension spring, lower guide access is a bit difficult but once you get on to it it goes ok.
Yes, they wanted me to keep the price a SECRET until they got it up and running, but since I saw this post, I guess the gag order is off.
I had to rework the guidepost in a machine shop, but your machine should see the benefit of MY debugging (at my cost, I might add) My salesman said they took my suggestions and appplied them. For your sake, I hope so.
But, please I assure you, I like this machine. Anything I bring up here is very powerful info, because it is the TRUTH. a very powerful tool to have in your arsenal.

Jim O'Dell
05-17-2005, 12:15 PM
Hi Greg. I'm the one that brought the post over here (Coolmeadow Kid). I haven't gotten my tracking numbers yet, but if they shipped out yesterday, mine should be here today. If it didn't ship until today, I'll see it tomorrow. The LOML is supposed to be watching the e-mail for me. I've already notified my boss that I may need to leave work for a little while when it's delivered.
Glad to have you and Craig at the Creek. This is my favorite forum, even though I pop into and read a few others. Much more civil here. Much like a tight knit family atmosphere. Jim.

Craig Zettle
05-17-2005, 12:19 PM
My salesman (Eric) just emailed and they are going to give me a tool credit so my purchase price is in line with the current sale price.
This, in my opinion, is how you do business.
I truly like my saw and think that if Minimax can keep the price down on the E16, they will absolutely turn that price point (around a grand) on its ear.
Oh, by the way, did I tell you my saw has a foot break? If you ever had a saw that doesn't have one and go to a saw that does (me), you will wonder how you ever got along without one.

Jules Dominguez
05-18-2005, 12:20 AM
After spending a couple hours today with my 20-some year old Delta 14" bandsaw, and expriencing quite a bit of irritation with the blade-changing process, I read this thread and then went to the MiniMax USA website. I see that the 16" MiniMax is listed for about $2500. This gives me serious doubts about the comparable quality of a bandsaw sold by the same company for $1000. What am I missing? How could the quality even be close to the same?

Tim Morton
05-18-2005, 6:17 AM
After spending a couple hours today with my 20-some year old Delta 14" bandsaw, and expriencing quite a bit of irritation with the blade-changing process, I read this thread and then went to the MiniMax USA website. I see that the 16" MiniMax is listed for about $2500. This gives me serious doubts about the comparable quality of a bandsaw sold by the same company for $1000. What am I missing? How could the quality even be close to the same?

I think we are looking at it from the other side of that coin. I like the idea of a company that has a reputation as building the best bandsaw on the market is now offering up a product that is affordable to alot more people. That makes it the possibly the best bandsaw on the market in the under $1500 range. I haven't heard anyone say they expect it to be a full on MM16, but rather a very attractive option for a 16 inch bandsaw.

Brad Schmid
05-18-2005, 7:59 AM

I totally agree with Tim. I don't think anyone has the illusion this is even close to the MM series. After all, there's ~200 lb weight differential between the 2 not to mention the visible differences. However, given their service reputation, and the fact that this saw still appears well built with great features, it looks like an excellent value.

Brad

Chris Rosenberger
05-18-2005, 9:39 AM

Cadillac / Chevrolet Both made by GM & thousands of dollars difference in price.

Jim O'Dell
05-18-2005, 10:58 AM
Well, after tracking my E16 since yesterday, saying it would be delivered yesterday, I called just now to check on it. Evidently with Roadway you have to call in to SCHEDULE delivery. I wish the guy I talked to yesterday would have mentioned that!! Now it will be Wed. 10:30
So, a word to others with Roadway Express delivery....call THEM to schedule, don't wait for them to call you. Jim

Tim Morton
05-18-2005, 11:09 AM
So that should be any minute now? Can't wait to hear about it.:D

Rich Konopka
05-18-2005, 11:26 AM

Jules makes a valid point. If the machine is made by Centauro, How can they sell it at such an inexpensive price of $1000? Keep in mind that the Euro ( Italty is a EU member nation) has appreciated 40% over the past 5 years. You would expect the price to be higher as with the rest of the MM line. IIRC, they boosted prices several times over the past years because of material costs and also because of the value of the dollar vs. the Euro. This price was a one time offer and those who snagged it should be gloating. The only way they can offer the machine at that price again without them dumping it would be if it was manufactured in China.

BTW, I an envious ;););) that I paid $2200 for my MM16

Jim O'Dell
05-18-2005, 11:58 AM
So that should be any minute now? Can't wait to hear about it.:D

Sorry. My BAD. It should have been today from the tracking. I should have typed Thursday at 10:30. Jim.

Tim Morton
05-18-2005, 12:20 PM
Sorry. My BAD. It should have been today from the tracking. I should have typed Thursday at 10:30. Jim.

Alright everyone Stand Down till further notice:cool::cool:

Craig Zettle
05-18-2005, 12:27 PM
Hey Jim,
Just to give you a heads up, your machine will need wired for 220. It comes with about 1 foot of wire out the side of the machine with no plug. You might want to run to Lowes and get some electrical supplies (unless you already ran the recepticle and have wire and plug ready).

And about the "deal"...

The E16 is a Centauro, made in Italy. The table is smaller than the MM16, and the E16 has a 12" resaw height compared to 14.5" with the MM16, so the MM16 is most assuredly a larger machine, hence the 200 lb. difference in weight.
And I truely believe the price will go up to be more in line with the rest of the lineup.

A interesting little story about Minimax. They offered a 14 inch saw VERY briefly, the S14, which they still refer to on the website in their writeup of the S16. This saw was made in the far east and they dropped it with blinding speed, because as my salesman said, "that's just not what we are about here." It even got good reviews, but they didn't want to get into that end of the market.

Jim O'Dell
05-18-2005, 1:33 PM
Craig, that's interesting to know about the S14. Since I decided I would get my cyclone before getting the bandsaw, I had pretty much decided to get an S14 at the end of the year, then add an MM16 a few years in the future. Got the cyclone in a few weeks ago, then this deal came up. I'll have to pay my wife back on this one!!
Don't get in a big hurry to hear how mine is working. I'm in the middle of rehabbing what will soon be my shop http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=14427&highlight=coolmeadow+creations
I'm to the point of building the doors for the shop now. Once this is done, then I'll start running electrical. The shop has it's own service, and I'll put in a 200 amp box. So this could be a couple months before I have this thing running. Jim.

John Callahan
05-18-2005, 2:58 PM
Probrably too many headaches for MM in the low end of the market for the return they get. Still kind of a shame about discontinuing the S14.......... been pleased with mine. Nice fit and finish, runs smooth, rigid frame, blades track well, and plenty of power especially for a 120v machine- no problems resawing 8" red oak. Saving my pennies for an MM16 for resawing and will keep the S14 for the rest.

Craig Zettle
05-18-2005, 8:36 PM
American Woodworker magazine did a bandsaw review in October of 2004, and gave the S14 a glowing review for a price listed at $650. I called Minimax immediately, and they had just sold the last one. I'm now glad I dragged my feet after that because I then went for the Laguna LT14SE, and from there to the Minimax E16. I just can't imagine being happy with a smaller saw than the E16.

Funny how Mini doesn't push the S16 or the S45 at all.

Jim O'Dell
05-19-2005, 12:05 PM
My E16 was scheduled for a 10:30 delivery. I got home about 10:25. Driver was here at 10:37. Everything appears to be in great shape. One little scratch or maybe a scuff mark on the very bottom part of the stand at the front left corner. It'll get plenty more of those along the way, but I might see if I can get some touch up paint to keep it from rusting, if it is indeed a scratch. It's a beaut! Maybe having this thing will get me out in the shop more in the evenings, maybe starting on the electrical runs...Jim.

Edit: I know, I know, no picture, didn't happen. I forgot to attach it!

Craig Zettle
05-19-2005, 12:13 PM
Jim,

Did you get all the stuff with it? Like the instrustion manual, blades, tool kit, mobility bar, etc???
I had to request some of these items (the instruction manual was one of the most needed- I ended up with a MM16 manual - I guess they didn't print the E16 manual yet).
It's a real beast, isn't it!

Edit: I just looked at your picture (it just popped up) and it looks like you do not have a mobility kit on yours. But I see paperwork and some other stuff under the shrinkwrap. Have fun!

Tim Morton
05-19-2005, 12:52 PM
My E16 was scheduled for a 10:30 delivery. I got home about 10:25. Driver was here at 10:37. Everything appears to be in great shape. One little scratch or maybe a scuff mark on the very bottom part of the stand at the front left corner. It'll get plenty more of those along the way, but I might see if I can get some touch up paint to keep it from rusting, if it is indeed a scratch. It's a beaut! Maybe having this thing will get me out in the shop more in the evenings, maybe starting on the electrical runs...Jim.

Edit: I know, I know, no picture, didn't happen. I forgot to attach it!

Looks like they shook it up pretty good on the way to your house...its all FUZZY!!! I'm not sure blurry pictures will satisfy the guys around here:D:D

Cool Beans!!!!

Jim Becker
05-19-2005, 1:09 PM
Looks like they shook it up pretty good on the way to your house...its all FUZZY!!! I'm not sure blurry pictures will satisfy the guys around here

I think that Jim was just really excited and couldn't stand still long enough for the shutter to compensate... :D

Jim O'Dell
05-19-2005, 2:27 PM
I think that Jim was just really excited and couldn't stand still long enough for the shutter to compensate... :D

Yeah,....that's what it is, excitement!!! Not sure why, but I seem to have that a lot. Guess I need to break out the tripod!! Seems to be worse when I use the flash. Not sure why that would make a difference. Thanks!! Jim

edit: come to think of it, it shut off after the first picture I took. Could be the batteries are in need of recharging.

Jim O'Dell
05-19-2005, 10:22 PM
Ok, Tim, is this one better? ;-))) I took the shrink wrap off after work, took it off the large pallet, and played with positioning in the shop. Moved it several times, moved the electrical boxes for it several times, took a roll around table left by the previous owners, and played like it was my contractor saw, moved the BS and electrical again, and I have it positioned where I think it will work best, but not where I had thought on paper I would put it. It really makes a difference having the equipment in there for positioning. Now I see what everyone says about how you rearrange things as new equipment is purchased. I think I need to pull the drill press and the table saw out from the garage and see what it is like with the actual equipment in there before I start running wire.
I am missing the mobility kit that is supposed to be part of the saw. I may ask Michael if they will send the coolblocks instead. I really would like this to be at the same height as my table saw, and to do so would mean placing the BS on a 2 1/2" platform, thus negating the mobility kit, unless I can rig it to the platform. I'll see what Michael says.
I have another problem that I will start a new thread for. Thanks for the encouragement. It's not the perfect saw, but I think it will be a good one. If I decide to upgrade to the MM16 in a few years, based on what was paid for this, I think I'll be able to retain a lot of the $s. I may decide that this is all I need, we'll see. Jim

I keep hitting submit before I attach the picture. GEEZ.

Tim Morton
05-19-2005, 11:28 PM
Looks good to me!!!:D I tried fixing your picture in the other post...let me know if it looks better. I have a Flat panel iMac, and sometimes i find my monitor adjustments make the pictures look to dark.