PDA

View Full Version : Grizzly platen on a Delta sander And why do I get this error?

Anthony Diodati
04-17-2013, 8:51 AM
Old thread, but do you happen to have a part number, and what did it cost you?Is it Cast iron, or stamped steel?
Thanks,
Tony

Here it is...

Like it?? Here's the story.
Awhile ago I picked up an older model Rockwell/Delta stationary sander. I have no idea how old it is since the identification plate fell off, but it works fine. Still, it couldn't get longer pieces very flat. After removing the belt and inspecting the platen, it was clear why:

Quite a dent. These sanders are very top-heavy, so I could only conclude it took a tumble at some point in its prior life. :eek:
As you might expect, no one sells a replacement for this platen.
I spent awhile trying to figure out how to build one, but couldn't come up with any good ideas. Then I decided to start looking through parts diagrams of modern stationary sanders to see if any current models have a similar part. Lo and behold, one of Grizzly's sanders looked quite similar.

Despite hearing great things about Grizzly's customer service, my expectations weren't very high. After all, I don't think they're staying in business selling parts to be used on other manufacturers' products. I figured they'd just laugh. Instead, Vince C. in tech support had me send him the measurements of my old platen which he compared to the Grizzly platen and let me know the differences. Since it still seemed like it would work, I went ahead and ordered it.

After drilling a few new holes, my sander now has a nice shade of green:

Thanks, Grizzly..

---Mike

The following errors occurred with your submission

Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please reload the window
Reloading the window does no good!

Anthony Diodati
04-30-2013, 6:48 PM
Thanks for the overwhelming response.
Especially from the OP.

Bill ThompsonNM
05-01-2013, 5:36 AM
Especially from the OP.
A bit sarcastic, you think? The original poster has posted anything since last September so probably hasn't been around. As I the error, I think you need to provide more details and post in the support forum

David C. Roseman
05-01-2013, 10:00 AM
Especially from the OP.

Anthony, your bump of the old thread was directed specifically to the OP, who may not even have seen it. Not sure why you expected others to reply.

I'm pretty sure Vince is still at Grizzly. Parts lists and diagrams for their bench tools are on their website as pdfs. Should be pretty easy to retrace the OP's path to a fix.

David

Ken Fitzgerald
05-01-2013, 10:19 AM
Anthony,

You might try providing a description, manufacturer and a model number. Some members have been known to spend time helping others look for parts, part numbers, hardware etc.