PDA

View Full Version : Running a lasercutter on high power & slow speed

Henri Sallinen
04-17-2013, 7:54 AM
Hi everyone!

This is my first new thread on Sawmill creek and I want to thank each and everyone here for loads of useful information!

There is something that has worried me awhile. I am a bit protective about my laser and currently I am running a job where I have to cut through quite a lot of plastic (safe for laser). The problem is that the settings I use tend to heat the laser quite fast. I have a Epilog Helix24 @ 60watts and the current settings I use are 15 speed, 85 power and 5000 frequency. I have to run each piece twice to get the cut through. I am a bit worried since my lasers cooling fans run at a high RPM just after few cut shapes. I know I'm a bit over protective when it comes to my investment and even the company I bought my machine from said it would be good not to run the machine at 100% power.

Is it OK to run the machine even though the fans are probably maxed out on their RPM? Is this somehow harmful for the laser tube and will it shorten it's life drastically?

Thank you in advance!

Sincerely, Henri from Finland

Scott Shepherd
04-17-2013, 8:58 AM
The machine doesn't care about the speed. 100%P at 15 speed isn't any different than 100% power at 30 speed, from the laser point of view. Your machine is built to run, don't worry about it. If something does go wrong, it won't because you ran it too hard.

John Salitsky
04-17-2013, 9:05 AM
Hi Henri, I'm new here as well so welcome.

I'm not familiar with that brand of laser, the Universal I have is 30 watt. When I cut plastic on mine, 1/16" and masked, I run the speed at 1.3% - power at 60% and PPI at 150 and I have cut a ton of plastic even a few times where it was something thicker and needed two passes. In my experience it will definitely cut down on the life of the laser tube, at least on mine, and it gets smelly and dirty but otherwise I was never had a concern of overheating. The fans run at an even speed the entire time the machine is on wether I am cutting plastic or engraving an award although the difference there may have something to do with your machine being a higher wattage and needing to cool down more than my 30 and that could be the reason for the fans being able the change speeds to accomodate. My main concern would be keeping the lense clean, once the plastic builds up and sits on the lens it's harder to get off.

Mike Null
04-17-2013, 9:52 AM
Henri

Welcome to SMC. You should be just fine. Be sure your air assist is on and as mentioned check your lens often.

Chuck Stone
04-17-2013, 12:24 PM
and if you're really worried about the fans (I wouldn't be) you can
check the air intake fans and/or filters and make sure they're clean.
That helps the airflow.

Rodne Gold
04-17-2013, 1:08 PM
I have not found that running a RF laser at 100% duty cycle shortens its life. Most lasers will shut down if they get overheated anyway.

Michael Kowalczyk
04-17-2013, 6:36 PM
I run mine at 100% most of the time and still on the original tube from 2003. In the summer when the exhaust CFM out does the AC CFM, I run a fan behind the laser to keep the air circulating. Make sure you keep the power supply and fans CLEAN.

Henri Sallinen
04-18-2013, 11:44 AM
Thank you for all the insights on the power matter! I feel much more comfortable running my machine now!

Bill Cunningham
04-18-2013, 8:51 PM
I run mine at 100% power all the time as well, and adjust the speed to the job. The only over heat I ever had was when I first got the laser, I had the blower on my second floor, sucking the air from the laser. Being a bit dumb, I was using that aluminized flexable hose type exhaust, and the inner liner collapsed from the suction, stopping all ventilation to the laser. The TT needs the blower vent to cool the tube. The tube got very hot and shut down..Freaked me out!!. It started right up again when it cooled down, but that tube only lasted 4 years. The one I have in now, is a much stronger tube than the first one ever was, and it's been going strong now for over 5 years... I hope I just haven't jinxed myself!!:eek: