PDA

View Full Version : Gettin Ready to Pull the Trigger - Unisaw

Kevin Herber
05-13-2005, 12:53 PM
I've been drooling over a cabinet saw for years. Just sold my Delta contractor saw and am getting ready to pull the trigger on the unisaw from Woodworker's Supply.

Unisaw, 50 Beis, mobile base and no freight for $1499. Anyone know of a better deal? This is NOT the X5.

-- Kevin

Tim Morton
05-13-2005, 12:58 PM
redmunds has the X5 factory reconditoned with the 3HP and 50 beis, 2 cast irons wings and the extension table for $1350...but shipping will put it over the $1499 unless you can drive:D

John Shuk
05-13-2005, 6:32 PM
I got an X5 for about that price in December. Look into the rebates available as well. I bought mine at a show. I like the idea of the 5 year warranty. That is because of my luck. If the price is close I'd go for the X5. Just my opinion.

Ted Shrader
05-13-2005, 7:10 PM
Kevin -

Also no tax $$$. You will be very pleased with difference between a contractor saw (even a good one) and the Unisaw.

Ted

Dev Emch
05-13-2005, 9:04 PM
Kevin...
That is a pretty good deal. I remember I paid about $1700 or so dollars for a similar machine in 1996 at the woodworkers show. Then luck being what it is, I discovered general and began kicking myself.

What I would be concerned about is warpage of the table. Does anyone know if warped tables fall into the 5 year warrenty of the X5 deal?

Personally, I would do what ever I could to get my hands on a general 350 or 650 (if you like left tilt). Baring strange events, you and this saw will be together for a long time. So choose wisely my friend!

Kevin Herber
05-14-2005, 3:48 PM
I looked at an X5 at Woodcraft and it would have been 2k plus I would have to deliver it myself. I'm pretty tickled with this deal. I looked at the General T650 on the net. I must say it is probably a fine saw, but I cannot stretch another $500. The best price I saw was $1899 and it did not have a mobile base.

I'm sure it is a terrific saw but I'm sure the Delta will do everything I ever ask of it. If not, I'll be doing stuff that will pay for it!!

Thanks everyone for the input.

-- Kevin

Jeff Sudmeier
05-14-2005, 9:50 PM
Kevin,

Sounds like you have found a great deal! If you can find a new X5 Unisaw for cheaper than Amazon they will price match it. They will still give you free shipping and any other deals on top of the match.