PDA

View Full Version : Finish for inside steam box that can withstand steam

Alan Lightstone
04-16-2013, 11:12 AM
I'm building a quick steam box out of pine. I've seen several people mention that the inside of the box should be coated.

What's a good quick finish (preferably spray able as I've already put it together) that can withstand prolonged exposure to steam?

johnny means
04-16-2013, 6:35 PM
Nothing short of porcelain enamel, powder coat, or some similarly difficult finish. Why would you coat the inside of a steam box?

Brian Libby
04-16-2013, 6:45 PM
No purpose in finishing the inside! Steam will take it all off.

Dave Richards
04-16-2013, 7:18 PM
I think I'd finish the inside with pine.

A steam box ought to be a fairly quick knock together thing. They will last quite awhile but not forever so you don't need to invest a lot into building it. If you want more than just a pine box, put some foil faced insulation foam on the outside of it.

Rod Sheridan
04-16-2013, 8:12 PM
Mine is unfinished, why would you finish the inside of the steam box?????

Regards, Rod.

ian maybury
04-16-2013, 8:38 PM
The chances are that polyurethane can handle the temperature Alan. (it probably goes to about 150 deg C) The problem is that it seems likely that the movement in the wood caused by the temperature and humidity would flake it off fairly quickly. It's damn difficult to keep a film creating finish of any sort on e.g. outdoor furniture for more than say a year, and that's without the steam and extra heat.....

ian

Alan Lightstone
04-16-2013, 9:08 PM
Just read a few posts that it would warp if not finished. Initially seemed far fetched to me, but I started to wonder.

Nice to know I'm worrying about nothing.

Kevin Bourque
04-16-2013, 9:24 PM
I can't imagine any coating lasting very long inside a steam box, so I made my steam box out of HVAC ducting I took from a remodeling job. It's heavy gauge stuff so the heat and moisture don't affect it much.

Sam Murdoch
04-16-2013, 10:32 PM
Fiberglass? Just make a rugged internal frame with an external frame to match and commence to steaming.

ray hampton
04-17-2013, 6:24 PM
if you seal the wood , what effect will it have on the wood holding the heat/steam in

Tim Janssen
04-17-2013, 8:15 PM
I used 1-1/2" foam to make a box, screwed it together with deck screws. Worked fine. Depends of course on how long you need to use it.

Alan Lightstone
04-17-2013, 9:56 PM
Made mine out of pine. I'll see later this week if it's OK with the steam. Hopefully should be fine. If not, have to think about finding some coating that will work. Hoping I'm worrying about nothing.