PDA

View Full Version : Mousemat/pad material?

Balsanu Gabi
04-16-2013, 10:54 AM
Hi to all,

Few questions about mousepad/mat material:
- what kind of material is (rubber,foam,...?
- source (Europe, UK awesome)?
- can be cut with a laser?
- adehesive for bonding fabric (polyester) to it?

Thank you
Gabi

Martin Boekers
04-16-2013, 11:37 AM
Are you trying to make these? They ones for dye sub are pretty cheap (under a buck at JDS) I never tried to cut one.
(my co-workers would kill me if I tried!)

John Salitsky
04-16-2013, 11:56 AM
(my co-workers would kill me if I tried!)

LOL! If I cut too much plastic the whole place stinks to the high heavens.

Balsanu Gabi
04-16-2013, 3:07 PM
Hi Martin,

You get it right, I am trying to make that pads myself for sublimation. I will try to find another method for cutting (not by laser). In the UK things are not that cheap like in US. Still no answer to my questions...

Thank you
Gabi

Dan Hintz
04-16-2013, 3:11 PM
Lots of materials... I prefer neoprene.

Martin Boekers
04-16-2013, 5:46 PM
Does it have to be a rubber type item? many mouse pads are made of hardboard stock. How about something like polystyrene, cork.
is there an industrial/commercial foam supplier there? That's what I would first check out.

It could really be any subtrate as long as it will with hold the heat of sublimation, if you laminate the cloth afterwards even the heat doesn't matter.

Jesse Anderson
04-16-2013, 6:21 PM
Modern mousepads are typically made of lesser density rubber composites (open cell styrene, butadiene rubber or open cell SBR) with fabric bonded to the upper surface. However, many other types of material have been used, including fabric, plastics, recycled rubber tires, neoprene, silicone rubber,leather, glass, cork, wood, aluminum,stone and even stainless steel. High-quality gaming mats are usually made from plastic, glass, aluminum or high-tech fibers

Early types of optical mice have the problem of not working well on transparent or reflective surfaces such as glass or highly polished wood. These surfaces, which often include desk and table surfaces, cause jitter and loss of tracking on the display pointer as the mouse moves over these reflective spots. The use of mousepads with precision surfaces eliminates spot jitter effects of older and/or low-quality optical mice. Its better to use dark non reflective surfaces.. Most mice will be optical..

Also take into consideration Some mousepads increase ergonomics by providing a padded wrist rest for support of the wrist. ""What is that medical condition called Carpeltunel ? "Spelling"

You could make a mouse pad out of Beaver skins, Ivory, Endangered Albino Rhino Pelts...

Remember when using a laser to cut the mousepad ""If you do"" Use non PVC based materials ""At least for my Epilogs"

Bill Cunningham
04-16-2013, 8:39 PM
All the mouse pads I have cut, were chem blown closed cell neoprene. I wasn't cutting the material for mousepads, I ws cutting up old mouse pads to make cushions for the base of my pistol mags. I hated just dropping a mag on the concrete floor of our range during ipsc matches.

Bruce Volden
04-16-2013, 8:47 PM
Really, what's a "mouse pad"? Haven't used one in years.

Bruce

Richard Rumancik
04-16-2013, 9:19 PM
Jesse, maybe you should reference the source of your info even if it is just Wikipedia . . .

Dan Hintz
04-17-2013, 6:13 AM
Jesse, maybe you should reference the source of your info even if it is just Wikipedia . . .

Seconded... Wikipedia has gotten it wrong (in the past, not here) too often for my comfort.

Frank barry
04-17-2013, 8:19 AM
Hi I just had a look you can buy them from China for as little as $0.8 with free shipping

you have to buy 10

just an option

Steve Busey
04-17-2013, 9:05 AM
Seconded... Wikipedia has gotten it wrong (in the past, not here) too often for my comfort.

But Dan, if it's on the Internet, it's got to be true! Bonjour... :p

Dan Hintz
04-17-2013, 12:07 PM
But Dan, if it's on the Internet, it's got to be true! Bonjour... :p

Absolutely... I'll just step out now to my 10-car garage filled with Ferrari's, Bugatti's, etc. :)

Jesse Anderson
04-17-2013, 12:10 PM
I do not need to reference a source .. U already did.....Nothing wrong with using Wikipedia... Wait i mean using ""Just Wikipedia"...

Appreciate it... Richard...

Balsanu Gabi
04-17-2013, 2:19 PM
Hi,

Digging on Internet I found a product which they say is the material used in mouse mats/pads - Plastazote. It appears to be a flexible closed-cell polyethylene foam which can be cut by laser safely. Yes I know source from China but making and controlling myself everything I think is the most important key to me.
Next move is to find a adhesive for the piece of polyester which will be sublimated and attached to the Plastazote.
Any help here?

Gabi

Dan Hintz
04-17-2013, 7:40 PM
Digging on Internet I found a product which they say is a material used in mouse mats/pads - Plastazote.

Fixed that for you...

George M. Perzel
04-19-2013, 6:05 PM
Try EVA foam-cheap-different colors and thickness-printable
Search Ebay