PDA

View Full Version : Pen blank size

Brian Kent
04-16-2013, 10:12 AM
Quick question.

I am cutting some pen blanks for my cousin out of eucalyptus and avocado. Is 5" x 7/8" x 7/8" the standard size? I have never turned a pen and would have thought they were longer than that.

Thanks.

Dan Hintz
04-16-2013, 10:51 AM
Typically, 5-1/4" is the best length... that takes care of pretty much any pen currently on the market, leaving 1/4" for blowout scrap (which amounts to 1/16" scrap at the ends of a two-piece blank). But 5" will work for the majority of kits. 7/8" is plenty thick enough for the large pens if you drill accurately enough, but quite often stuff is offered in 3/4". 1/2" is only good for slimlines and such. If I know something is going to warp as it dries, I'll cut it to 1".

Brian Kent
04-16-2013, 11:14 AM
Thanks Dan.

Jim Burr
04-16-2013, 11:28 AM
Depends on the kit Brian. Sierra styles are good at 3" where Jr Gent's are best at about 6". I always leave more on the blank so I don't blow the end when drilling. If you are doing closed end...that's a whole different ballgame!

Brian Kent
04-16-2013, 11:32 AM
They are about 7" right now. Is there any advantage to trimming them?

Jeremy Hamaker
04-16-2013, 11:49 AM
If you had a couple big chunks of wood and you were looking to maximize pen blank yield while not going 'too' small, I would go with 5 1/4 x1 x1. But, if your pieces are 7 inches long, I'd leave them that way unless they're too long to fit in your chosen shipping method, or cutting the extra weight would result in good weight savings on the shipping cost (assuming you're even shipping them of course).
When turning pens, I'd like to have the full 7" so that I could choose which part of the grain is most "Ideal" for my vision of the pen I'm making.
Alternatively, depending on the pen, I could cut a piece off the 7", make a pen, and then make another pen with the rest...
Of course, if you wanna ship me some free wood, I'd certainly not complain if they were only 5" long... :D

Marvin Hasenak
04-16-2013, 12:31 PM
Cut them long, cutting them at 5" or 6" leaves a lot of little cut offs. If you cut them long there is only one cut off for the entire length. I cut mine in 3 to 4 foot lengths, I land up losing maybe 2" when it I use it all. With the short blanks I have any were from 1" to almost 2" cut offs for each one.

Dan Hintz
04-16-2013, 2:42 PM
Cut them long, cutting them at 5" or 6" leaves a lot of little cut offs. If you cut them long there is only one cut off for the entire length. I cut mine in 3 to 4 foot lengths, I land up losing maybe 2" when it I use it all. With the short blanks I have any were from 1" to almost 2" cut offs for each one.

When I have the option, I usually leave them in (roughly) 2' lengths... most of the time, though, you can only purchase in 5" lengths. I stash all of the short cutoffs in a small box... when I have a blowout, want to replace a centerband with wood, or just add in some color with segmenting, I grab the box and rummage through it.

Jeremy Hamaker
04-16-2013, 2:57 PM
I stash all of the short cutoffs in a small box... when I have a blowout, want to replace a centerband with wood, or just add in some color with segmenting, I grab the box and rummage through it.

I second this. I also have this grand idea that I'll use the bits to make a 'segmented' pen or two, if I don't need the parts for blowouts.

Jim Burr
04-16-2013, 7:46 PM
Exactly! You may need that extra half inch for a repair. If not...stack 'em up and make a puzzle pen!

Bernie Weishapl
04-16-2013, 11:34 PM
I generally cut mine at about 7". Gives me some room if I mess up which I never do.:rolleyes:;)

Dan Hintz
04-17-2013, 6:25 AM
Interesting to see so many cut to 7"... it makes sense for kitless, but I haven't met a kit yet that has required more than 5-1/4".