PDA

View Full Version : Going to the Woodwright's School

Glenn Samuels
04-15-2013, 9:22 PM
I just signed up for a one day class with Roy on dovetails and tenon joints. I was just wondering who has gone to one of the school's classes and your experiences.

Bryan Schwerer
04-16-2013, 7:58 AM
I was there in the first year it opened, it may have changed a bit, but I don't think so. First, there is no celebrity worship that seems to go on things like TV Network shows. Roy acts just like a guy who would be a store proprietor. He's friendly and entertaining and he is there to help you learn the skills. At the time I was there, there was literally nothing I could buy there. You were just there for the class. No T-shirt or Roy snow globes, or anything like that. I was impressed but almost disappointed. I would have loved to buy an autographed copy of one of his books. Now the Ed has opened the tool store, it may be different, but I am sure it still adhere's to some of Roy's basic philosophies about making rather than buying and it is more about the knowledge and history than about him. Quite frankly I am amazed at how cheap the classes are.

Joe Cowan
04-16-2013, 8:40 AM
I went to a one day class last year taught by one of the instructors other than Roy. It is in a old store in downtown Pittsboro. I enjoyed the class, and Roy comes in about halfway through to work on a foot petaled table saw he had in the shop. He was very nice, humble and did not try to take over or be a big shot. All in all, I will try to go back for another class asap. Worth it!!

Pinwu Xu
04-16-2013, 11:59 AM
Or bring a Roy's book and ask him to sign?

Check out the store on the 2nd floor if you have any need in your mind

linke combs
04-17-2013, 1:29 PM
I was there in February for the Howarth Bow Saw class that Bill Edwards taught. The classes are well thought out and everything you need is waiting at your bench for you. The tools were razor sharp and the first aid kit is very handy if needed. (Don't ask me how I know this. I never even noticed I touched the spokeshave blade as I set it down...). Ed's store on the second floor was great as well and I left with a very nice beading plane and bag full of miscellaneous plane parts and blades that would be very hard to purchase anywhere else. (Think Stanley 46 and 48 knobs, blades, depth stops, etc. ). I chose to stay in Chapel Hill which looks farther away on the map than it really is.

Maurice Ungaro
04-17-2013, 2:43 PM
Glenn,
I took that class last year, and really enjoyed it! You'll have a good time, and will enjoy Roy's instruction and company. Everyone get personal attention and each class seems to gel pretty well.

Glenn Samuels
04-18-2013, 10:29 AM
I am really looking forward to the class. I decided to start with a one day class to make sure that I am not over my head. If all goes well, I'll probably go for a class on making molding planes. I am fortunate that I only live 40 minutes away. Until recently, I thought that the show came from Massachusetts so I was pleasantly surprised to see that it was in my backyard. Thanks for everyone's thoughts.