PDA

View Full Version : Stock feeder and sliding table

Mark Woodmark
04-15-2013, 7:05 PM
In an effort to make my Powermatic model 27 shaper less scary and also to achieve better results, I am thinking of purchasing a stock feeder and I am also looking for a sliding table attachment. I am favoring the Powermatic model PF-41 stock feeder, But have not seen a sliding table that will work. I have my shaper on a wheeled cart so the table would have to move with the shaper. Any input?

Jeff Monson
04-15-2013, 7:14 PM
That should be a great feeder for you PM27. Not sure I have seen a sliding table that is added onto a shaper. With the depth of the table to the spindle, it would seem too far for a sliding table to work. I might be wrong but if just doesn't seem feasible. My sliding table is only a couple inches from the spindle.

Stephen Cherry
04-15-2013, 7:22 PM
Mark, what are you looking to make? If you are doing cabinet doors, I would consider just using a sled. I had a sliding table on my scmi t110, and for me it just got in the way. If you are doing entry doors, that may be a different story. My sliding table looks like it came off a robland combination machine (an auction score- just the table). If you want the table, I would recomend fabricating some sort of a tenoning plate- a heavy plate that rides on the sliding table and supports the stock closer to the cutter.

As for the feeder, I would also consider the maggi feeders. They are, in my opinion, a little better put together than the comatic. (the comatics are OK also). As for the mounting, you might to consider some weight in the base of the machine. I have a 3 wheel delta feeder on my delta hd shaper, and it is a little tippy when the feeder is swung back.

David Kumm
04-15-2013, 8:13 PM
I second the use of a sled or take a look at the Aigner shaper accessories. I've got sliding table shapers and think if you go slider you want an integral design that is not only close to the table opening but designed to not have any slop or play under the heavy cuts you make. An aftermarket is not a great choice on a shaper. Dave

Peter Quinn
04-15-2013, 8:20 PM
Any 1/2hp or above feeder should get it done for that size shaper for most things it will spin. The Jessum master slide is probably an ideal fit for that size machine but I think they stopped making them, might be worth a phone call. You could pull the front bolt on table and attach right to the main table, that would put you pretty close to the spindle. For 95% of what I do on that machine (at work) a miter gauge or coping jig gets it done for cheap, and you never have the slider in the way for non end grain work. To be honest that machine is not IMO worth the investment into something like a real bolt on format type table such as the one Laguna sells, and it might be too heavy for that shaper on a mobile base anyway. Not sure what you want to process with the slider, but you need a heavy shaper to counter balance the cantilevered work. I have a slider on my little t-40 that is a bit too big for it, I made an adjustable saw horse that acts as out rigger so it doesn't tip over, with that I've run medium sized tops, 80" doors, etc. solo, no problems.

You might be able to rig up one of those new grizzly or laguna (or a variety of others seem to be selling them now) sliding tables for TS. They do have fore and aft out riggers, but perhaps with creative use of angle iron you could run back to the cabinet to support the weight? It would be a frankenshaper for sure. On my t-40 when using the slider I swing the feeder to the back to act as a counter balance which works quite effectively! The manual shows a type of long steel angle iron bolted to the cabinet base to resist tipping, but mine is on a mobile base too so thats out.