PDA

View Full Version : W&H 206 or Shop Fox W1812

Mark Woodmark
04-15-2013, 7:00 PM
I am thinking of buying a moulder and have narrowed it down to either a Williams & Hussey 206 variable speed ($2795.00) or a Shop Fox W1812 ($1450.00). I have read many reviews and seen a head to head comparison between the two. I just cant figure how one can seem to be as good as the other (according to the reviews) and be almost half the price. What does everybody think? Recomendations between the two?

Rich Riddle
04-15-2013, 7:44 PM
I just cant figure how one can seem to be as good as the other (according to the reviews) and be almost half the price.

From the W&H website: We proudly manufacture our molders, in-stock knives, custom knives and various accessories in Milford, New Hampshire.

http://www.williamsnhussey.com/pages/about-us

Shop Fox is an Asian model.

You can bet the price difference reflects the countries of origin. I am NOT saying the American one is better, just certainly more costly to produce. To some the countries of origin matter and to others they do not matter. I own some American, Asian, and European tools and select the best tool for the job and also consider cost into that calculation to determine "best tool for the job."

Peter Quinn
04-15-2013, 8:36 PM
I've used them both, I own the older model shop fox model (the basic machine is the same, minus the longer cast iron table). Mine gets occasional use, so I would't say I have battle tested it. I think it comes down to how hard you want to ride this pony. Word I've heard is the Hussey gear box is better made, and the baldor motor is hard to beat. But IMO the table on the shop fox is actually an substantial improvement over the Hussey design for straight work, the steel cabinet it more rigid, its not a bad unit at all. From a results stand point, I could not tell you the difference. Casings I've made on my shop fox look as good as anything I've seen made on a Hussey. If you are planning to run custom curved trim as a full time occupation for a decade or more, the Hussey might be a clear favorite just for the CS regarding parts and service that will inevitably be needed. I hear they really support their product well. For me, the choice was simple, they were closing out the old model, It was cheap as dirt, I wanted it for occasional use, It has been fine and functioned flawlessly since I got it. And it arrived well packaged and in good order.