PDA

View Full Version : Dial Indicator Guage

Jerry Thompson
04-15-2013, 6:38 PM
I am attempting to set the new blades on my 8'' jointer. I zero the dial guage to the outfeed table, lock it and set it on the knife. When I lift up the plunger and let it back down to the table it does not go back to zero. It may be off one way or another by as much as .010.
It seems to me it should go back to zero again.
I am very careful in setting the plunger to zero and I tighten the setting knob tight but not in a ham handed fashion.
This is an inexpensive tool and maybe it is time to get a new one?
Thank you

glenn bradley
04-15-2013, 6:54 PM
If I am reading you right, you lift the plunger off the surface of the table and return it to the table, zero the ring (or move the marker), raise and lower again and the reading is different. If this is correct, I would say the indicator is not reading well. What is the gauge mounted to? Is it a known rock solid base like a 1-2-3 block or some such?

Jerry Thompson
04-15-2013, 7:01 PM
It is supported by a magnetic base but I do not activate the magnet. I should add that I used it several weeks ago and as I recall it went back to zero when the plunger was back on the refferance surface. I am going to give Harbor Freight a visit tomorrow. They have one with a lug on the back that will fit my arm.
Thanks.

David Kumm
04-15-2013, 8:16 PM
I'd go with a gently used Starrett than a cheap Asian indicator. They go for 50-100 and are worth the price. Dave

Jerry Thompson
04-15-2013, 8:43 PM
I may do that later. Right now I need the jointer. If I am not making the 5 clock cases I need to I will be mowing the lawn and pruning trees. So I have to hold out until the week end so my grandsons can to the drudge work.

Myk Rian
04-15-2013, 10:15 PM
The HF indicator is OK. The Starretts are very heavy duty compared to them, but both are accurate.

I've never had luck using an indicator. I drag a rule 1/8" across all knives in 3 places.

Joe Scharle
04-16-2013, 7:40 AM
The HF indicator is OK. The Starretts are very heavy duty compared to them, but both are accurate.

I've never had luck using an indicator. I drag a rule 1/8" across all knives in 3 places.

Has worked for me for nearly 60 years. Even a foot long piece of lumber works well. Just measure how far the hand rotated knife drags the gauge piece. Mark the distance on the wood and set the knives the same on both ends. Note: a wooden gauge piece with travel farther than a steel rule because the blade bites into the wood earlier than a steel rule. The steel rule is what your grandfathers used...

Jerry Thompson
04-16-2013, 9:18 AM
I think I will give the steel rule a shot. I have seen a demo on You Tube and I'll go back and review it.
Thank you.

Mark Burnette
04-16-2013, 9:47 AM
One "gotcha" with any dial indicator is a loose tip.
I calibrate gauges and instruments and in my experience any dial indicator that moves freely will return to zero repeatably as long as it's held in position tightly. Accuracy is determined by the "teeth per inch" of the rack & gears and is rarely off more than .001" over the entire range. For the extra expense of a Starrett or Mitutoyo you get better finish & smoother operation, not more accuracy.

Harvey Melvin Richards
04-16-2013, 10:22 AM
I've never liked using magnetic bases for aligning jointer blades. There is always a cantilever issue which you can't account for. I have 2 odd bases which were given to me by a friend. Both of them straddle the knives, one works on the bed surface, and the other works on the knife head. The knife head one I prefer, but you have to make sure that your knife head is concentric. I have seen bed straddle devices that are home made, so it's some thing that could be fabricated.

http://i811.photobucket.com/albums/zz35/HarveyMelvinRichards/Indicators/P4162484Large_zps878fd0ea.jpg (http://s811.photobucket.com/user/HarveyMelvinRichards/media/Indicators/P4162484Large_zps878fd0ea.jpg.html)

Myk Rian
04-16-2013, 12:04 PM
I calibrate gauges and instruments and in ......
Not to hijack, but;
Where at, Mark? I did that job for 20+ years out of the Ford Rouge plant.

Jerry Thompson
04-16-2013, 2:32 PM
Using a straight edge I set both tables dead even. The with a 1/4'' plate glass applied downward pressure until the glass was as far as it would go. My wife tightend the gib bolts. They all came out .001-.002'' high. That is close enough for me. I measured the tolerances with a feeler guage that belonged to him when he was a mechanic many, many years ago. I like to think of him smiling down at us using his old tools one more time.
I have yet to fire the old beast up as it is nap time.
Thank you every one.

Mark Burnette
04-17-2013, 10:07 AM
Not to hijack, but;
Where at, Mark? I did that job for 20+ years out of the Ford Rouge plant.
An independent test facility in Troy.
Got any connections at the Romeo engine plant? It would be great to do my job 2 miles from home rather than a 50 minute commute...
:)