PDA

View Full Version : Grease for Shenhui rails?

Balsanu Gabi
04-15-2013, 1:24 PM
Hi to all owners of a Shenhui laser,

I need to know what kind of grease do you use for rails?

Thank you for your time
Gabi

john banks
04-15-2013, 2:18 PM
I use engine oil.

Balsanu Gabi
04-15-2013, 2:25 PM
Hi John,

I was hoping to chime in ... What kind of oil engine?

Thank you
Gabi

Gary Hair
04-15-2013, 2:25 PM
Most rail manufacturers recommend lithium soap based grease. I bought Lubriplate 1200-2 on amazon but a quick search only shows cases. You should be able to buy it from most auto parts stores.

Rodne Gold
04-15-2013, 2:51 PM
We use 3:1 lube oil.

Stoffel Odendaal
04-16-2013, 4:18 AM
Hi all,
I have been advised to use Vaseline and have been doing this for the last year with good results

George Carlson
04-16-2013, 5:25 PM
White lithium grease like Lubriplate is excellent. If you need a small amount, go to a sporting goods store and buy a tube of grease for fishing reels. That stuff is very good for small sliding and rolling bearings.

George M. Perzel
04-19-2013, 6:08 PM
Another George agrees with George-go with the Lubriplate-does not attract dirt as much as many oils.

Mark Smith61
04-20-2013, 12:57 AM
I have some lubricant that comes in a aerosol can that was recommended for my CNC. I don't have it in front of me and I don't remember the name, but it's one of those dry lubricants that doesn't collect dust. Seems to me like you would want that inside a laser with all the various particles that float around in there. Is there any issue with using that in the laser? My manufacturer recommeds the lithium grease so I don't want to go against their recommendations unless I know it won't mess something up.

Gary Hair
04-20-2013, 1:48 AM
My manufacturer recommeds the lithium grease so I don't want to go against their recommendations unless I know it won't mess something up.

I would go with the recommendations of the manufacturer of the rails and not necessarily of the laser manufacturer. The rail mfg should have years of experience with their product and should know how to best maintain it under various conditions. You'll find most rail mfgs recommend lithium soap based grease, not 3-in-1, not vaseline (seriously?), not engine oil.

David Somers
12-14-2013, 9:25 PM
I am curious. Has anyone tried using Boshield T9 to lubricate things in the lasers like the rails? I assume you do not want stuff to cling to the lubricant over time?

I use it on my wood lathe and love it because it doesn't leave any residue that can come off on my hands and get transferred to the wood. And wood dust and chips don't stick to it. It is quite durable, especially when you consider the lathe head stock and tail stock and banjo are being moved across the rails all the time.

I also use it on my bike chain for the same reasons. Unlike lubricants that stay moist it dries quickly and so dirt and stuff doesn't stick to it.

I also use it on our old boat. A trawler. It protects metals beautifully and doesn't leave things greasy.

You can get it as a liquid, as a pump bottle, and as an aerosol. It is all the same formula however.

Please keep in mind I don't own a laser yet and am asking out of curiosity and not out of oodles of laser experience.

Dave

Rich Harman
12-15-2013, 3:47 AM
I use air tool oil, only because I have a lifetime supply of it.

Dave Sheldrake
12-15-2013, 7:15 AM
I use white lithium grease on all of mine either in a suspension spray or from a small tube. It's a rolling bearing pressure situation not a metal to metal sliding situation so many lathe oils *may* not be suitable.

cheers

Dave