PDA

View Full Version : Poly for leveling, rubbing out

Alex Horvath
04-15-2013, 12:47 PM
Hi all,

I'm refinishing a veneered dining table and I have dones leveled, rubbed out finishes before (on cheap solid tables) and I really liked the results. Even in reflected light the surface is almost like plate glass and no dust nibs whatsoever.

I used box store water based poly and I did not see any witness lines but not sure if I just got lucky.

I was thinking to go with General Enduro var poly.
However, I have no problem going with a laquer if the results will be noticeably better since the table will not see heavy use.

I have spray equipment but I think its easier just to brush it on because of the large number of coats.

Thanks

Andy Pratt
04-16-2013, 12:07 AM
Poly is generally considered to be a poor choice for rubbing out due to its high abrasion resistance and the need to let it dry/cure for a long time before starting the process. I have done it before and it can be brought to a high enough shine to be acceptable in most applications, but it just isn't going to be as convenient as a lot of other equally priced options. I use behlen's rock hard for this type of work and it is a much better solution in my opinion.

Alex Horvath
04-16-2013, 3:26 PM
Andy,
I'll go with the rockhard.

After stripping the table, I would really rather not sand it unless I have to since the veneers run in diffrent directions and there is no damage to the top.
I have read that cleaning with paint thinner after stripping should be good enough.

Is this adequate?

Thanks

Scott Holmes
04-16-2013, 10:35 PM
Most likely cleaning with paint thinner will be fine. You did not tell us what type/brand of stripper you used; best bet is to check on the can for cleaning after use.

Rich Engelhardt
04-17-2013, 4:04 AM
Poly is generally considered to be a poor choice for rubbing out due to its high abrasion resistance and the need to let it dry/cure for a long time before starting the process. I have done it before and it can be brought to a high enough shine to be acceptable in most applications, but it just isn't going to be as convenient as a lot of other equally priced options. I use behlen's rock hard for this type of work and it is a much better solution in my opinion.

Behlen's Rock Hard is now a poly.

Scott Holmes
04-18-2013, 12:55 AM
I noticed that at the Woodcraft store a week or two ago... does not look like the original still available...

I'll take that off my list of go to varnishes... Wonder if there is still phenolic resin mixed with the urethane...

Andy Pratt
04-18-2013, 8:22 AM
Darn, when did they change rockhard? Does it still rub out well? How do you tell if you have the old or new based on the can?

Rich Engelhardt
04-18-2013, 9:24 AM
OI can't answer 1 & 2 - but - the new can says Urethane right on the lable.

Alex Horvath
04-18-2013, 2:42 PM
Scott, I used a Methyl Chloride stripper, Kleen Strip 15 min or 30 min. Says to use mineral spirits or their de-activator for clean up.

Table tops are really easy to strip but I'm also stripping a couple of complex painted dressers and the stripper will get into corners and under the face frames.
I once had some old stripper residue left on the edge of some flooring and when I refinished and the poly touched it, it reactivated and the poly wrinkled. Some articles imply that the residue is no longer active but I have not found that to be the case.

Probably OK if clean out the corners and edges with a chisel but might also be a good idea to de-activate in this situation. I will be spraying the dressers with Campbell Magnaclaw.

I'm thinking of going with General Enduro water based laquer for the table top although thy don't recommend brushing it. I don't know if this is just because it's a professional product or it dries too fast to brush.

Thanks

Scott Holmes
04-18-2013, 10:39 PM
A urethane resin varnish will not rub out like phenolic resin varnish. If they still have some phenolic resin in the new varnish, (I can't tell from the Tech sheet) it MAY rub out better then a lesser poly.

Alex Horvath
04-19-2013, 5:44 PM
I noticed Campbell sells nitrocellulose laquer and they have a dist near me.
Only downside to campbell is that they only sell gallons but they seem to have a better shelf life than most.
Recoat time is only 30 mins. I'll probably have to spray but at that rate I won't have to clean my gun between coats.