PDA

View Full Version : Is everyone retired?

Jim Tabor
04-15-2013, 10:49 AM
At 9:43 there are 1149 users on line. I'm retired, but what about the rest of you? Are you at work and not doing you're job?.. On break?... What?:)

Ted Calver
04-15-2013, 10:50 AM
Retired and procrastinating on the honey do list:)

Michael Weber
04-15-2013, 11:02 AM
Break time here.

Jay Jolliffe
04-15-2013, 11:05 AM
Taking a break...My retirement will come when I die.....

Erik Loza
04-15-2013, 11:35 AM
Work from home, online all day.... :)

Erik Loza
Minimax USA

Von Bickley
04-15-2013, 11:58 AM
Retired and loving it...... Best job I ever had.

David Nelson1
04-15-2013, 12:15 PM
Nope I'm @ work. Glad I have a couple of computers!

Jeff Monson
04-15-2013, 12:21 PM
Working, BTW what does this word "retirement" mean??

Rod Sheridan
04-15-2013, 12:51 PM
Working, looking forward to retirement...............Rod.

Chris Padilla
04-15-2013, 12:56 PM
Probably 16+ years to go for me. :(

David G Baker
04-15-2013, 1:00 PM
Retired in 1999 at the age of 55. I retired because I read the statistics on people in my profession that retired at 65, the majority lived only 18 months after retiring.

Darius Ferlas
04-15-2013, 1:08 PM
The US has a a few time zones, and the site is available to pretty much the whole planet which has even more time zones. Some of those 1149 users on line just came back from work, some are about to go to work.

Keith Outten
04-15-2013, 1:08 PM
I retired a couple months ago however I am now working in my sign shop full time again. Since mine is a one person business I am the boss and I am the guy who sweeps the floor among other jobs so I can give myself a little rest period whenever I please :)

Charles Wiggins
04-15-2013, 1:18 PM
I'm at work. I check in from time to time to let my brain go in another direction for a few minutes and clear out the cobwebs. We have a 7 1/2 hours work day and I am RARELY here less than 8 hours and I RARELY claim any comp time. Often it will take me more than an hour to formulate a response because of work related "interruptions." I was "interrupted" 4 times while typing this response up.

Doug Richardson
04-15-2013, 1:31 PM
At work at one of my jobs. Have one of those "nobody knows (or cares) I exist unless something breaks" jobs. I spend SMC time planning for the few hours I have at home..... ;-)

David Weaver
04-15-2013, 1:35 PM
Retired in 1999 at the age of 55. I retired because I read the statistics on people in my profession that retired at 65, the majority lived only 18 months after retiring.

There are a lot of professions who say that (broadcast engineers, pilots, police, firefighters, ..), but fortunately, it is an OWT. It only takes the rumor plus "hey you guys remember ___ and ___...retired and died before they turned 66?"

Now, you'll probably live 10 years past when you wanted to!

John Coloccia
04-15-2013, 1:40 PM
I'm not even done being tired the first time yet.

David G Baker
04-15-2013, 1:43 PM
David W,
The statistics were compiled by our union that is responsible for paying out our pension checks. When one of us dies the pension now goes to the spouse in her name and a death certificate is required before the pension check is changed. The information is pretty accurate. Some broadcast engineers have been exposed to micro wave radiation over their careers. I was one of those but most of my exposure was low power and for short periods of time.

Jim Tabor
04-15-2013, 1:54 PM
I should have known that "Creekers", even at work, would still be doing their jobs. I feel bad for suggesting otherwise. :D

David Weaver
04-15-2013, 2:01 PM
There would have to be enormous pre-retirement mortality on grand scales for that to occur. Mortality just doesn't work that way. I'm not sure if the union may have used that as a bargaining chip (well, not so much a bargaining chip, but to get members mobilized) to get early retirement incentives, or if it was given out by a local (which means that it wasn't data based at all, but just given out either as well meaning suppositions or not so well meaning), but I'll guarantee that you wouldn't find even a quarter of retirees who retired on exactly age 64, 65 or 66 would become deceased within 18 months. If such a thing occurred even within a group of 500 people, it would be the most exciting topic in actuarial literature (not to mention, the govt. agencies would have a field day regulating the industries to stamp it out)

Like I said, it's a common OWT that has been peddled to members of many different fields, but there is no numerical proof of any of it for pilots (exposure due to changing sleep schedules and radiation), Broadcast Engineers (exposure to electromagnetic fields), police and firefighters (never heard of their causes, fill in the blank depending on who is putting together the story).

A pilot, Randy Sohn, once gave me a good explanation of how OWTs begin, and why they last so long. He's spent considerable effort trying to quash some of the ones that exist in the aviation world.

I'd love it if nobody believed the " most die within ___ years of retirement" argument, but it fits perfectly into the OWT target.

I'm not aware of any groups that have mortality like that (unless you make a cohort of people who are already known with terminal cancer or something), though there are definitely groups by occupation who have increased mortality (coal miners / black lung, etc), certain trade workers who have a lot of exposure to asbestos, etc, like electrical workers. But it is not as drastic as people like to suggest. It's more like, expecting to live 15 or 16 years after retirement instead of 22 or 23, for example (I don't know exact numbers for those, just a for instance).

ray hampton
04-15-2013, 2:47 PM
I retire early because of health problems , I've been retire over 15 years

curtis rosche
04-15-2013, 3:12 PM
College student

paul cottingham
04-15-2013, 3:20 PM
Forced retirement (health reasons) for past 10 years.

Steve Meliza
04-15-2013, 3:30 PM
At work. They don't care what I do as long as it is legal, doesn't consume excessive bandwidth, and I get my work done. Usually I limit my activities to lunch, but some times I just need a break from work for a few minutes which can actually help my productivity if I'm good about getting right back to work.

In my mind retiree mortality has a lot to do with what you do after you retire. If you stop moving and sit in front of the TV all day then don't expect to be with us for long.

David Helm
04-15-2013, 6:30 PM
Retired (past tense) definition: Got tired all over again. I'm retired without benefit of pension. Self employment for whole life keeps one from getting frustrated with bosses, but there is no one but yourself to put money away. Looking for a job where I can sit on my backside and get paid lots of money for doing nothing.:rolleyes:

Kevin Bourque
04-15-2013, 6:52 PM
I'm tired, so thats a start I guess.

Fred Perreault
04-15-2013, 7:13 PM
For many, retirement is a frame of mind. I was self employed also, but as I have for the past 45+ years, i get up and do what I enjoy every day.... which is all kinds of things. Bulldozing part time, volunteering part time, yard work part time, gardening part time, flat woodworking and turning as often as possible, repaires to the kids' homes once in a while, afternoon napping part time..... heck, I don't have time for retirement. :) :)

....it's only work if you'd rather be doing something else

Shawn Pixley
04-15-2013, 9:58 PM
At 9:43 there are 1149 users on line. I'm retired, but what about the rest of you? Are you at work and not doing you're job?.. On break?... What?:)

Different time zones???? That would be 7:43 in California. 6:43 in Alaska....

Not retired here.

Ryan Mooney
04-15-2013, 10:00 PM
I'm tired, so thats a start I guess.

Yep I got the tired part down as well! I figure that puts me half way there.

I reckon if the question was "are you all retired or just work on computers all day" the hit rate would be close to 85-90% :D

Harvey M. Taylor
04-16-2013, 2:05 AM
retired 21 years ago. do what I want most times except the eternal circle of fertilizing, mowing, watering, vert-- you get the idea. Max

'Jacques Malan'
04-16-2013, 4:01 AM
In my case a different time zone mostly. But at this moment it is 10 o'clock in the morning and teatime at work.

mike holden
04-16-2013, 10:41 AM
I'm retired, but dont forget about the different time zones! The creek is a world wide forum.
Mike

Raymond Fries
04-16-2013, 10:58 AM
I retired 03/29/2013 and am loving it.

Steve Peterson
04-16-2013, 12:30 PM
At work. They don't care what I do as long as it is legal, doesn't consume excessive bandwidth, and I get my work done. Usually I limit my activities to lunch, but some times I just need a break from work for a few minutes which can actually help my productivity if I'm good about getting right back to work.

That is the same mode I am in. I scan a few threads in between simulations at work. I am definately looking forward to retiring in around 10 years or so.

Steve

Steve Rozmiarek
04-16-2013, 2:06 PM
I wish, just giving the mind a break between boring office jobs here.

Thomas Hotchkin
04-16-2013, 2:52 PM
Retired, on the Oregon coast with friends forr a week weather great. Tom

Chris Padilla
04-16-2013, 4:31 PM
I was just thinking that if "everyone" was retired, you retired folks would have to go back to work on a account of no one working to pay in!! hahaha :D

Gordon Eyre
04-17-2013, 11:43 AM
Retired and loving it.

Glenn Vaughn
04-17-2013, 2:24 PM
Retired (April 1st this year) - still adjusting. Waited until my wife turned 64 - I am 71.

Waiting for the weather to get better and warmer (it is snowing) so I can start assembling my CNC Router.

Larry Whitlow
04-18-2013, 12:37 PM
Retired and busier than ever. I would normally be in the shop or yard this time of morning, but have to go see the Doc in a few.

Gary Hodgin
04-18-2013, 12:48 PM
Retired Dec. 2011 and enjoying it. Certainly not bored. More to do than I can get done.

David Dalzell
04-19-2013, 7:13 AM
Well retired, but too busy for a long response

tony cook
04-19-2013, 2:36 PM
i'm retired, but now work from home doing what i want to & not what some-one else tells me to do, except for the wife, bless her