PDA

View Full Version : A Charmed Life?

John Hart
05-12-2005, 10:23 PM
A few weeks ago, I drove my girls to school as the usual daily routine in my Chevy Cavalier. The drive is 30 miles, mostly interstate and some neighborhood and business district roads and traffic. I pulled into the school parking lot and dropped them off, then went to pull out. Without any stress, turning, or bumps...my front wheel broke off. Now, this has never happened to me. I got out and looked at it in amazement. The entire assembly to the axle had broken off, but when the car fell, the tire caught it so nothing was damaged including the brake lines. The repair was a little over $200, which I thought was pretty good considering the situation. But more, I was amazed that it waited until the kids were out of the car and I was barely moving. "Coincidence", I sez.

Then, this week, I had our other car...a Plymouth Breeze. I had to do some shopping and get gas. I spent a lot of time on the interstate and business districts this time as well, then pulled in for gas. After filling up, I went to pull out and the car wouldn't move. I got out and looked... One of the front wheels was pointed sideways. What the...???!!! Ends up that the Tie Rod snapped off it's ball joint. This time, it cost $40 and I did the repair m'self.

Once again, I was amazed that it waited til I was barely moving.

So...are cars designed to break when they're not moving or do I live a charmed life?

Erin Raasch
05-12-2005, 10:30 PM
Hmmmm . . . if I had wheels falling off of two different cars, within a few weeks time, I wouldn't think I had a charmed life, I'd start wondering who was out to get me. I think that goes beyond strange coincidence and into the realm of downright eerie. :eek:

Glad that no one was injured, though!

Erin

Mark Singer
05-12-2005, 10:59 PM
John,

You are a lucky man! ....and really deserve it! I hope your luck continues....a lot of it is attitude...You have a great spirit and afect things around you in a positive way.

Jerry Olexa
05-12-2005, 11:04 PM
You are fortunate! Be Thankful! Could have been much worse!! You do live a charmed life and you were blessed!

Norman Hitt
05-13-2005, 1:40 AM
John, you really are leading a "Charmed Life", but just in case your "Charm" should fade a little, I believe I would get both those cars up on a Lift, and give them a VERY GOOD INSPECTION, not only Looking, but Pulling and Shaking Everything Underneath them. For some reason, Incidents like this Do Seem to come in "Threes" quite often. I do hope your incidents stop at TWO, though or your Charm keeps working.

Jeff Sudmeier
05-13-2005, 8:26 AM
John,

Did you go out and buy a lotto ticket after that??!?! Heck I would have bought ten!!

Glad to hear that you are okay and were very lucky.

David Fried
05-13-2005, 10:01 AM
You've been lucky.

I'm with Norm, do some preventitive maintenance, have someone take a gander under the vehicles. Don't push your luck!

I think most of us have had "good" or "lucky" cars. I had a Toyota Tercel that only ran out of gas as I was pulling into my driveway or a gas station. It started making a strange noise from the back and I drove it to the gas station. When they put it on the lift the rear wheel and suspension fell off - serious rot to the swing arm, but it never stranded me!

John Hart
05-13-2005, 11:46 AM
Thanks all for your kind words and insights. Just so you know, I did have both cars inspected by a pro. They say there's no worries, everything checks out ok...funny though, I'm still nervous about it now.

Thanks again

Roy Wall
05-13-2005, 11:57 AM
JOHN,

I have the pleasure of driving my daughter to school everyday. It's fun to see her run in the building - (she's in kindergarten) and see her friends. After school, we usually go to a park when weather permits...get a soda, have fun....

This is a charmed life!!! Glad you have a good ending to these car repairs...

Is you car garaged at night....you don't have any enemies do you!!!!:eek: :confused:

Per Swenson
05-13-2005, 8:13 PM
John, About that motorcycle.............

Per

Greg Mann
05-13-2005, 8:36 PM
JOHN,

I have the pleasure of driving my daughter to school everyday. It's fun to see her run in the building - (she's in kindergarten) and see her friends. After school, we usually go to a park when weather permits...get a soda, have fun....

This is a charmed life!!! Glad you have a good ending to these car repairs...

Is you car garaged at night....you don't have any enemies do you!!!!:eek: :confused:

Roy is right. When your children are growing it is a wonderful time of your life. John, you better see if Festool makes cars. :D

Greg

John Hart
05-14-2005, 6:47 AM
John, About that motorcycle.............

Per

Heh heh....Can you imagine? And, of course, it would have to be the front wheel!:eek:

Roy,

What's a garage? I know I have a building out back big enough for 2 cars that has a garage door but it's filled with junk. I agree with your thoughts on driving the kids to school, by the way. It's a 45 minute trip every morning that I get uninterrupted time with the kids..plus, they can't run off, so I can share my "wisdom" with them. hmmm...maybe THEY sabotaged the car! :rolleyes: