PDA

View Full Version : Cultured Marble

David Nelson1
04-15-2013, 10:16 AM
I recently finished the master bath and had a back splash left over that wasn't needed. I would like to make a few soap dished out of it since it will match the sink and the corner shelves in the tub/shower.

Anyone have a clue what type tooling I'll need. I would like to dish it out to mimic a fluted shell with a larger oval shape for the overall design. I suppose it would also break the sharp edges.

I glanced around Google with a few key words for working with cultured marble but came up a bit short.

Thanks,

d

Dan Hintz
04-15-2013, 10:48 AM
Diamond bits... and don't breathe in the dust, so you must use a wet process.

Jamie Buxton
04-16-2013, 10:42 AM
Cultured marble is acrylic or polyester resin, with powdered marble mixed in. I'd machine it with ordinary carbide-tipped woodworking tools. I'd wear a respirator -- plastic dust and marble dust aren't good for your lungs.

Chris Padilla
04-16-2013, 11:53 AM
Ask any stone or tile dealer what they cut it with.

Jerome Stanek
04-16-2013, 1:11 PM
I machine with a carbide bit.

Curt Harms
04-17-2013, 6:34 AM
Cultured marble is acrylic or polyester resin, with powdered marble mixed in. I'd machine it with ordinary carbide-tipped woodworking tools. I'd wear a respirator -- plastic dust and marble dust aren't good for your lungs.

That sounds a lot of solid surface material such as Corian. I wonder what the difference is?