PDA

View Full Version : Black spot on lens. Tip

Mr Mike Mills
04-15-2013, 9:20 AM
I have a Universal VLS 6.60. This laser is used in a school setting. I was gone for a few days and when i returned I knoticed the laser lens had a black spot on it. I use the optics cleaner on it and was able to remove a small amount of the black spot. I tried for a few days letting the lens soak in the optics cleaner, and I even tried alcohol. Finally I tried some glass cleaner that was designed to clean fire place doors. I let the lens soak in the cleaner for a about an hour then rubbed the spot with q-tip and the spot was gone. The cleaner also removed some of the paint from the lens/mirror housing, but saved me from having to purchase a new lens kit.

I hope this may help someone in the same situation.

Thanks Mike

Dan Hintz
04-15-2013, 10:44 AM
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but you have screwed up that lens. Soaking in anything is a no-no... the anti-reflective coating has probably been irreparably harmed. On top of that, fireplace/stove glass cleaner has fine grit in it, which means you've also scratched the out of the softer ZnSe.

You need to replace it immediately...

Ray Beaty
04-15-2013, 8:53 PM
I have seen all types lens cleaner discussed in these threads but what is the best to use? Thanks in advance.

Braden Todd
04-15-2013, 11:11 PM
Epilog told me to use white vinegar for cleaning heavy residues that the normal lens cleaner has issues with. Told to use the white vinegar to clean and then use lens cleaner to remove the vinegar residue.

George M. Perzel
04-19-2013, 6:15 PM
Another opinion
Have soaked chinese lenses in oven cleaner for a few hours to remove heavy black deposits caused by a lot of wood cutting and insufficient air at the nozzle-lens still works fine with no apparent degradation. I quit using the mega buck mainstream ridiculously overpriced lenses two years ago and never looked back.
Best Regards,
George
Laserarts