PDA

View Full Version : Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments.....

Dennis Peacock
04-15-2013, 8:21 AM
15 Apr 2013

Good Morning Everyone,
Well, I am finishing up another oncall week. The weather is warming and I'm ready for the garden to get under way. Seems like life gets so busy with family and work that I just can't wrap my head around everything. All I know to do right now is just take it one day at a time.

The LOML and I are really busy with getting everything ready for my #2 son to graduate from high school in 4 weeks. I have a lot to do and a short time to get it all done. So, here's to trying to get it all done before the happy day arrives.

No woodworking for me this past weekend, just oncall duty and getting a couple of things done inside the house while waiting on work stuff.

That's it for me, so what did YOU do this past weekend?

Best of weeks to you all.

Matt Meiser
04-15-2013, 8:46 AM
Saturday changed the oil on my wife's car and did all the spring maintenance on our Kawasaki Mule. What a pain. I can see everything. I can get one hand on everything. But no way I'm getting both hands on anything which makes it tough. Once that was done and all cleaned up we took 5 gallons of waste oil from cars, tractors, mowers, generators, etc. to recycling, went to Costco, and went to dinner. Then I laid on the couch as I was pretty sore from crawling around on the cold concrete the better part of the day.

Sunday, did some straightening and "weeding" in the shop and cut a sheet of plywood for my mom. My wife and daughter went to my daughter's first volleyball tournament with another mom and daughter (I was un-invited when the other mom offered for my wife and daughter ride with them :)) Mid morning my wife texted me the picture of the car behind the other mom's fully engulfed. The whole back half of her car seemed to be engulfed but had amazingly little damage--just some deformed plastic on the bumper and license plate area (and some scratches from the firemen's gear squeezing between the cars.) I guess her car smelled pretty bad too but with a couple hours airing out it mostly went away.

Depending on the weather I'll either get started on a small cabinetry project for them or work on yard work over the next couple weeks. Except this week as we have family coming in from out of town starting on Thursday. Grass is almost green here so it won't be long before I need to mow the first time too.

Jim Tabor
04-15-2013, 9:54 AM
This was an easygoing weekend. Didn’t spend a lot of time woodworking, I did spend a few hours working on a rocking chair. I sold the Unisaw that I restored over the past couple of months and helped Joe (the buyer) load it on his tilt mower trailer. I had put it on a Shop Fox mobile base so that made loading an easy job. He drove away with a big grin on his face. Other than the Air Force blue I painted it (Joe’s retired Army) he felt he got a good deal. In fact he got a better deal than I had planned. I forgot to take the new $55 Freud saw blade off that I had used for testing, Joe had already seen that pretty red blade and I didn’t think it would be right to not include it. But it was never about making a profit; it was intended to be a fun, change of pace project, which it was.
Then the wife about ruined my weekend Saturday night when she reminded me the taxes had to be mailed Monday.

David Nelson1
04-15-2013, 10:39 AM
Shop and basement clean up has been on the agenda for the last couple of weeks. It's amazing all the cardboard boxes you can hoard or a year. Dump run on Saturday.

Sunday was out in the shop. Practiced sawing to a line again for dovetails. I'm getting better :-) After that I goofed with a few overhead lights that went out over the winter. Changed both ballast. I had to settle on something that was not even close to the ballast installed which required gutting the fixture. 4 hours to figure it out (actually more like 45 mins without the side tracks)and I had one working the other one took about 15 mins from start to finish.

Grilled a pork loin on indirect heat with hickory. Started making augratin potatoes and sliced and diced my dang thumb. I told myself be careful but I didn't use the knob to hold the food. Bled for a round 4 hours, lesson learned again the hard way LOL

Jamie Lynch
04-15-2013, 10:47 AM
I hauled 200+ bf of hickory into the shop friday. I had planned on doing some cleanup in the shop Saturday morning, but we awoke to find the garage door halfway open and the car and truck ransacked. We're just glad the thief didnt come into the house. The rest of saturday was spent cleaning out the garage so the truck can fit. The door remote was missing from the truck, so all the remotes had to be reset. My first weekend off in over a month and it sucked!

David Nelson1
04-15-2013, 12:00 PM
I hauled 200+ bf of hickory into the shop friday. I had planned on doing some cleanup in the shop Saturday morning, but we awoke to find the garage door halfway open and the car and truck ransacked. We're just glad the thief didnt come into the house. The rest of saturday was spent cleaning out the garage so the truck can fit. The door remote was missing from the truck, so all the remotes had to be reset. My first weekend off in over a month and it sucked!

Wow that does suck. Sorry for your luck.

Charles Wiggins
04-15-2013, 1:27 PM
Got the garden space prepped, FINALLY. And I learned an important lesson about tillers: If it skips, jumps, bounces around, and won't cut into the ground, check to make sure that the blades aren't on backwards. The joys of borrowed equipment!

Doug Richardson
04-15-2013, 1:35 PM
Tore the carpet out of the living room like the LOML asked. She's at home today removing the stuck padding and cleaning the flooring. Damn, I wish I was there to help! 8-)

Michael Dunn
04-15-2013, 2:44 PM
I began to repair a set of 5 mahogany chairs for a friend. Fortunately, this is a paid job and not a pro-bono type deal. I mounted my cyclone and began to install some duct work before I began to rethink some aspects of my DC system. I'm back on track today though.

Jeremy Hamaker
04-15-2013, 3:18 PM
Finished putting my motorcycle together that was damaged last summer when I sailed off the road into a drainage ditch. All the new parts came in last week.

Joe Shinall
04-15-2013, 9:36 PM
Had a yard sale Saturday and sold my old sliding makita 10" miter saw, old riding lawnmower, and a bunch of other useless stuff. Made $1400 off of all of it! Then blew that and then some and bought my new 12" Hitachi sliding miter saw, new 48" 22HP Husqvarna mower, and of course, since I did that, a new rug, ottoman, and pillows for the living room... :rolleyes:

Totally worth it for the new toys. Then Sunday we played a hell of a baseball game and won 16-6. Good weekend all together!

Shawn Pixley
04-15-2013, 10:19 PM
Saturday we divied up the work. I took care of the dogs and LOML took care of the cat who's been to the vet twice in the last two weeks. Afterwards, I prepped a box for finish. I also repurposed a dozuki blade that had some broken teeth. I snapped the blade and built a couple new handles for very small work.

Sunday, the three of us went to the Rose Bowl flea market (after walking the dogs five miles to wear them out before we left). Dear son came down with the flu while we were there. He went to bed when we got home and didn't get up until mid morning. I disassembled and cleaned the plane I got. (See post in the Neanderthal section for details). I spent a couple hours prepping for this work week. All in all, I'm tired.