PDA

View Full Version : rescued from the wood pile?

steven c newman
04-15-2013, 4:06 AM
Needed a small board for a project. Got to looking around in the scrap pile, figured it might work as a back.259956Black spots from cut nails:eek: Got all of those out, and gave a plane a try at it259957A Hibbards True Value #3, to be exact. Started to see some strange looking grain259958so decided to clean up the other face, just to see what was under all the black dirt259959 Hmmm, been nice to find a stack of these. 1" by 5" by 20" long. Planed down to 3/4" thick. Took awhile to clean the edge grain, and the FrankenBailey #5 was plum wore out259960and decided to take a nap. If I recall, this was a piece of a rafter that I was resawing down last year. This MIGHT be the last of it.....:mad:

Tom Vanzant
04-15-2013, 7:36 PM
Very nice piece of oak... I can understand why you wished for more. I have refinished Stanley totes with the heavy dark finish to find a beautifully grained piece of rosewood, and I refinished the handle of a hardware store backsaw and discovered it was birdseye maple. You never know what's lurking under the rough exterior. I may have to reconsider my FIL's offer of oak 2x4s.

Peter J Lee
04-15-2013, 8:18 PM
That's pretty.