PDA

View Full Version : Black Gesso Question

Glen Blanchard
04-14-2013, 11:29 AM
Does black gesso (or any gesso for that matter) need a finish? I presume it does.

Dan Forman
04-14-2013, 12:42 PM
Black gesso has is very matt appearance when dry, and has a slightly gritty feel, but is quite durable. It's main use in art is to cover canvas or board surfaces prior to painting on it, to provide a barrier to protect the canvas from the oils in oil paint and provide a mechanical bond (the grit or tooth) for the oil to bond with - oils can't form a chemical bond to acrylic.

Whether it needs a finish will depend on what the desired result is, and whether you want a contrasting (matt vs. glossy) surface.

Dan

Glen Blanchard
04-14-2013, 2:42 PM
Thanks Dan. Actually I rather like the very matte finish and was wanting to prevent glossing it up with a finish.

Jamie Donaldson
04-14-2013, 8:29 PM
The black gesso makes a very nice interior surface for objects like hollow forms, and it levels with enough thickness to hide a somewhat rough surface where sanding to 400 is not an option!

Chip Sutherland
04-14-2013, 9:15 PM
Gesso will take just about any finish. I have used WOP satin with good effect. I have also just burnished it with shavings to soften the surface grit. The appeal gesso to me is the matte finish. Like Jaime says it is great on insides of HFs too.

Greg Just
04-14-2013, 9:53 PM
Black gesso is great stuff, but have you ever tried clear gesso and tinting it with acrylic paint? You can make a really nice durable finish in almost any color you want.

Bernie Weishapl
04-15-2013, 12:32 AM
Like Chip I have used WOP on top of gesso with good luck. I like it best on the inside of HF's also.

Chip Sutherland
04-15-2013, 9:12 AM
Clear Gesso???? Never heard of it...Intriguing opportunities. I know about white, black & the shades between. I have thought about tinting white gesso but never executed on it. Oh this just got more fun.

robert baccus
04-15-2013, 10:37 PM
Sounds interesting--black gesso in the hollowform. I assume you mix it thin and pour in??

Kathy Marshall
04-15-2013, 10:55 PM
Sounds interesting--black gesso in the hollowform. I assume you mix it thin and pour in??
When I use it on the inside, I don't thin it, I just pour a little bit in and use a small foam brush to spread it around.

robert baccus
04-15-2013, 11:30 PM
Thanks Kathy!

Matt Owen
04-15-2013, 11:38 PM
When I've used black gesso on the outside of a piece I apply the first coat, sand, then apply a light second coat. Then I spray on 2 coats of clear flat acrylic. It seems to be a very durable finish that looks really nice. The photo shows my poor attempt at duplicating a piece Carol Valentine did a couple years ago. While not a great piece, I think the finish turned out nicley. 260049

Greg Just
04-16-2013, 10:52 PM
Clear Gesso???? Never heard of it...Intriguing opportunities. I know about white, black & the shades between. I have thought about tinting white gesso but never executed on it. Oh this just got more fun.

Chip:

Liquitex makes a clear gesso and I got it at Michaels.