PDA

View Full Version : Holey Moley - it's done

Kathy Marshall
04-13-2013, 11:16 PM
Well it won't hold soup, M&M's, popcorn or even chips, but after, alot of hand sanding, it's finished. It did sand up easily, but it was time consuming especially working around the beads. I left it a little thicker than usual since the little hole on the rim is connected to the big hole in the bottom by a bark inclusion and I wanted to leave plenty of wood for strength. The void in the rim is also due to a bark inclusion.
I took my time turning it, not getting too aggressive and stopping often to make sure I still had plenty of solid wood. I also was listening to the wood and that let me know when I was far enough into a bark inclusion for the bark to want to come flying out (I prefer taking it out by hand and avoiding any flying missiles :eek:).
There's a little bit of curl and just a tiny bit of feathering on the bottom but it wasn't until I uploaded the pics that I realized I hadn't oriented it to capture the figure.
It's Carob and it's 11" x 3 1/4" finished with danish oil and antique oil. It still needs a couple more coats of antique oil to give it a nice sheen. It finished up alot darker than I thought it would based on other carob I've turned and how this one looked before the DO.

Thanks for looking!
Comments and critiques are welcome.

Roger Chandler
04-13-2013, 11:40 PM
That is a holey, moley, bowley! :D Nice work on this one Kathy......of course all your pieces are nice. I am surprised you put that much work into a non functional bowl. Won't hold soup so it must be art, as they say!;)

David C. Roseman
04-14-2013, 8:27 AM
Whooweee...! This must have been one white-knuckle turning! Beautiful result Kathy!

David

Doug W Swanson
04-14-2013, 9:01 AM
That looks a lot like Desert Ironwood. Love it!

Dennis Ford
04-14-2013, 9:27 AM
Nice work!

willis martin
04-17-2013, 11:44 PM
Kathy,great looking bowl.but from you no suprise of excellence.looks somewhat like a ww1 army helmut