PDA

View Full Version : Buffing

chuck vernon
04-13-2013, 6:18 PM
Another novice question. What is meant by buffing? Can you buff wood to a gloss finish with no other finish? I am sure there are many buffing methods, but would like a few, that I might try, explained.

Thanks

Brian Kent
04-13-2013, 6:40 PM
I have used the Beall buffing system for years. The one drawback I have found is that I have damages a lot of pieces by holding them up to the spinning buffs at the wrong angle and having them fly from my hands onto the floor.

So most recently I have been sanding to either 400 or 600 - usually by holding the sandpaper to the spinning piece. If the piece is irregular or I am not erasing lines from coarser grits, I use the power sanding from Vinceswoodenwonders. I keep it slow enough that I can feel the grip of material being removed while sanding, and not using the sandpaper for buffing / burnishing.

Then I rub a little white diamond on a cloth and start actual buffing. I let the speed increase a little and watch the glassy look increase on the piece as it reflects the light source. Then I stop and make sure I can't see scratches. If so, I usually need to back way up and get through the grits more carefully. When there are no lines on the stopped piece and an even reflection on the spinning piece, I put some carnuba on a cloth and finish buffing.

When I do this with no other finish, it is smooth and beautiful without darkening the wood.

Thom Sturgill
04-13-2013, 9:17 PM
Can you buff wood to a gloss finish with no other finish?

Some woods. Especially hard, fine grained or oily woods. ebony and Rosewood will both take a shine without finish.

Usually people are referring to the Beall 3 wheel system applied either to an oiled piece or a piece with a hard finish like lacquer. The system I have uses three wheels, First wheel is, I believe linen and is loaded with Tripoli buffing compound, second is a combination of linen and flannel and is loaded with white diamond compound which is finer than the tripoli and will remove the residue left by the tripoli. The final wheel is flannel and is loaded with wax, or the piece is waxed and then the wax is buffed off on a clean wheel.

Wood buffing wheels are generally not sewn like metal buffing wheels are, but rather are much looser, and are used with lower RPMs than metal buffing.

chuck vernon
04-14-2013, 6:46 PM
Thanks; I think I will try the white diamond polish on the lathe. Is this product called white diamond metal polish or white diamond rouge? I found them both on e-bay