PDA

View Full Version : I need experience

Timothy Powell
04-13-2013, 6:02 PM
Hello folks. My name is Tim and I am new to woodworking. I have watched many woodworking shows and read many woodworking magazines. The trouble is that I live in an apartment and I have nowhere to put large power tools. I am looking to get some hands on experience and was wondering if anyone on here lives in the central Illinois region. I would love it if someone could help show me the ropes. If you have a business, I can work for free on the weekends. Feel free to send me a PM if you don't want to make your location public.

Erik Loza
04-13-2013, 6:04 PM
Classes at the local Woodcraft?

Erik Loza
Minimax USA

Timothy Powell
04-13-2013, 6:10 PM
Unfortunately the nearest Woodcraft is 250 miles away. I would defiantly like to take some of their classes, but 250 miles is just too far away.

Bill ThompsonNM
04-13-2013, 6:49 PM
1. Add your location to your profile, notice how mine appears in the upper left.
2. I googled "woodworking clubs Central Illinois". Lots of hits including the Central Illinois Woodworking Club. Bet you can find a club that meets nearby. Woodworkers are usually very friendly and would love to share their shop with you.

Timothy Powell
04-13-2013, 6:57 PM
Thanks Bill.

John TenEyck
04-13-2013, 8:14 PM
You don't need large power tools to be a wood worker. Long ago, journeymen wood workers traveled from town to town with nothing more than what they could carry in a sack on their back. It's a slower process, to be sure, but there are still many people who work almost exclusively with hand tools and make beautiful furniture. Some, like you, are stuck in an apartment, but they don't let that stop them.

John

paul cottingham
04-13-2013, 8:41 PM
Do some reading about Jim Tolpin or Tom Fidgen. They are both basically hand tool woodworkers and I know Fidgen spent some time (a lot of time?) working in an apartment.

Wade Lippman
04-13-2013, 8:57 PM
If I were in your situation I would try wood turning. Doesn't take up much room or make much noise.
I took a turning course at a local HS's adult ed.

The local vocational ed school near me lets people use their tools one night a week for a reasonable fee. Thats another option; people seem to like it.

Joe Shinall
04-13-2013, 9:50 PM
If I were in your situation I would try wood turning. Doesn't take up much room or make much noise.
I took a turning course at a local HS's adult ed.

+1 on this. Buy a small mini lathe and setup an outside table (pretty heavy duty) and take the lathe outside and clamp down when you wanna play. I did this at my old house just because I liked to be outside and figured it was an easy way to play with tools and enjoy the outdoors.

Dan Davis
04-13-2013, 10:30 PM
Maybe a junior college course or a night course in your local school?

Dan

Chris Fournier
04-13-2013, 11:10 PM
This was my exactly my situation over 20 years ago when I got started. I hooked up with a guitar maker and worked for free until I realised that I was better off building my own shop and doing what I wanted. Look for co-ops in your area where you can rent a bench perhaps. Ultimately I begged a garage space from my father and bought machines. In this setting I really could put in time and develop my chops. Should call up my dad and thank him again!

Timothy Powell
04-13-2013, 11:30 PM
Thank you all for your helpful tips. All I need to do now is make some sawdust.

John Piwaron
04-14-2013, 9:37 AM
Check out www.chicagowoodworking.net

Their email is info@chicagowoodworking.net (773)275-1170

I have no affiliation with them. I got a card from them while at the woodworking show in Milwaukee last February. My interest in them is that they have some Felder equipment. I was invited to come to their shop to get a hands on with the Felder stuff before deciding on buying. I don't know how far they are from you but their classes and the friendly owner may be of some help to you.

Jim Matthews
04-14-2013, 8:00 PM
Have a browse at the Neanderthal forum, here.

If you have plans for something you want to build, a decent hardwood purveyor can mill your lumber to desired thickness for an additional fee.
You can do the fun parts with hand tools (for less money than a good table saw, etc.) so long as you sweep up after yourself.

If space is at a premium in your apartment, consider a modular approach to woodworking.

I would be on the lookout for a co-op, these are frequently found in conjunction with a college or Art school that teaches crafts.

I'm a big fan of Josh Finn's workbench (http://www.woodfever.net/2009/12/new-workbench-completed.html), which is two sturdy sawhorses and a padded torsion box for the top.

Remember, you don't need powertools for most operations, they're just substitutes for muscle power.

Myk Rian
04-14-2013, 9:01 PM
I knew a fellow that lived in an apartment. His bathroom was the shop.
Used the tub/shower for a dust collector for his miter saw. :eek:

Anyway, look for local WW clubs. I belong to 2 of them.

Lee Schierer
04-15-2013, 8:47 AM
I did a google search for "woodworking classes Peoria, IL " and got quite a few hits that might prove interesting for you.

Mike Wilkins
04-15-2013, 8:58 AM
Adding my 2 cents in here. If I were starting over again, I would get some hands-on training with hand tools. Learning the basics of hand tool woodworking will give you great knowledge into what the power tools are doing. That said, just start making something with whatever tools you do have. I started in my kitchen in the apartment me and my family lived in. Just had to clean up the mess before the wife and kids got home. Simple microwave stand using a cheap jig saw and pine lumber. Very few of us started out with a spacious shop and heavy duty tools to use. And read everything you can get your hands on. The local library and bookstore will be your friend. Good luck and watch those fingers.

Jeremy Hamaker
04-15-2013, 3:51 PM
If you're looking to get into power-tool use, then it depends if you have a balcony or some common space that you can make noise and a little dust in. Instead of a table saw, you could get by with a handheld circular saw. A hand drill instead of a drill press, etc... At least to start...
And as mentioned, some stuff can be done rather quietly indoors: small table-top drill press. Small lathe. Hand saws to cut lumber, and lumberyards or big box stores to cut your sheet goods at 25 cents a cut before bringing them home. Where there's a will, there's a way.