PDA

View Full Version : segmented vase

Frank Parker
05-12-2005, 6:29 PM
Here's one of my first segmented projects, It's Paduak and maple, with goncalo base. It wasn't supposed to have a goncalo base but when I parted it off I miscalculated how deep it was and ended up with a nice round hole in the bottom, so I glued on the goncalo and turned to match.
There are 20 segments per ring, 11 rings, and 2 bases,for a total of 220 pieces. It's finished with poly.

Frank

Chris Daigh
05-12-2005, 6:40 PM
That is very cool and the base looks like it should be there. How long did it take to joint and glue all those pieces. I would like to learn how to turn, hopefully someday soon.

Kent Parker
05-12-2005, 7:07 PM
Very nice. I really like the shape of the vase.

I made a cabinet out of padauk once. Very vibrante wood and then in twenty years it has now mellowed and appears more of a cinnimon brown.

Great job!!

KP

Frank Parker
05-12-2005, 7:08 PM
It took me about 6hrs to cut and prep the pieces, but it took me 4 days to glue it together, that's the worst part waiting for the glue to dry. first you glue them into these rings, I use radiator clamps, and than you glue the ring together. I use a home made press

Keith Nielsen
05-12-2005, 7:13 PM
Very Nice, Did you use Tight bond II or some other glue? I like the bottom it sets the Vase off and real looks nice

Keith

Frank Parker
05-12-2005, 7:22 PM
I used tite-bond 2 on this one but I've started using titebond3 on projects that are likely going to come in contact with liquids.