PDA

View Full Version : Choosing a saw set

Matt Ranum
04-12-2013, 9:58 PM
I have very limited experience with sharpening saws, only done 2 so far. Since then I have mysteriously seem to have acquired a couple more saw sets. I have a Miller Falls 214, a Stearns 101, and a Dunlap. The only one I have used is the Miller Falls. The MF and the Dunlap each have numbered anvils to help with setting, the Stearns does not.

I have a couple miter saws that need sharpening as well as a carcass saw project coming up.

I know the Stanley 42x is the king of the hill out there but I don't have one and don't plan on buying one if I can decent consistent results with what I have. Is there one of these that I have thats any better than the other?

(The posted pics are not mine but are representative of those in question.)

Joe Bailey
04-12-2013, 11:34 PM
The Millers Falls 214 does not take a back seat to any saw set -- having used both, I put it on a par with the 42X.

Jim Koepke
04-13-2013, 1:17 AM
In the case of saw setting, most of them can get the job done. Some are much more convenient for a wider variety of jobs.

If the saw set has a huge plunger it might be difficult to set teeth at 15 ppi.

I haven't done it to either of my saw sets, but I have thought of modifying the plunger on one for use on smaller teeth and keeping the other as is for the larger teeth.

Sold off all my other saw sets after buying a 42X. Liked it so much I jumped at the offer when my brother offered me one he found at an estate sale.

I must be bipolar since I like to have two of everything.

Well, not wives. One is more than enough.

jtk

Jessica Pierce-LaRose
04-13-2013, 8:16 AM
The only saw set I've used are the blue and gold ones that Lee Valley (http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/page.aspx?cat=1,43072,43086&p=32956) and Tools For Working (http://www.toolsforworkingwood.com/store/item/MS-SAWSET.XX/Saw_Sets) wood sell. I bought mine from TFWW, but I believe what LV carries are the same model. - I've got the blue one for smaller teeth - anyone who's used those care to compare to the 42X or one of the other nice old ones that get mentioned so frequently? Am I missing out, should I try and pick up one of those?

The one time I tried to use mine (on an 11 pt. saw) I had a heck of a time getting results - the plunger kept sliding off the tip of the tooth rather than bending it, if I remember correctly. It worked out okay in the end. I'm tempted to try hammer setting next time after reading a post here.

Matt Ranum
04-13-2013, 8:23 AM
Sounds like my MF-214 will be the one to use, but I guess I'll have to play around a bit with the others. The Stearns, with nothing really to guide the adjuster might be a trick to learn.