PDA

View Full Version : tooling gloat

Harry Robinette
04-12-2013, 8:20 PM
Well I finally did it,ordered a VFD and Motor for my General. I've had a DC drive on it running thru the reeves drive and has been working very well but it's just not enough power and theres to much messing. I have to adjust the reeves drive to a certain speed then adjust the DC drive to get the right amount of torque. I ordered the stuff from Automation Direct 2hp system the VFD has a removable key pad built in thats wireless I really like that, I can use it anywhere around the lathe and it will work for a emergency stop. The cost wasn't as bad as I thought, because I went with the removable key pad remote the VFD and Motor was $417.00 and FREE shipping. It should get here Monday or Tuesday then the installation fun will begin.
I guess it's a good thing I have a couple extra lathes just in case,my mind just might decide not to understand the instructions.
That has been known to happen before.
Wish me luck and I'll try to keep you posted.
Motor=Ironhorse 2hp 3ph 1800 rpm MTR-002-3BD18 $166.00
VFD=AD 2hp 1/3ph in 3ph out GS2-22PO $251.00

charlie knighton
04-13-2013, 7:48 AM
Harry, take some pictures as you upgrade, would like to see the changeover from reeves drive, i am not going to attempt it, but i started out on a delta reeves drive and now turn on the jet 1642

Bernie Weishapl
04-13-2013, 10:52 AM
Congrats Harry. That ought to make a big difference in your turning.

Brian Kent
04-13-2013, 11:35 AM
As you perform this major upgrade it will be very interesting to hear about differences in noise and smoothness, as well as your performance.