PDA

View Full Version : Slow speed grinder - NO

Ken Garlock
05-12-2005, 2:32 PM
As I recall, there was a thread recently regarding the purchase of a slow speed grinder for sharpening tools. On the surface that sounds like a good idea.

Toward the end of the discussion, I posted that an experienced machinist, Forrest Addy, made a good argument against slow speed grinders. The discussion on grinders came up again on another site, second only to SMC. Forrest posted his comments again regarding the proper use of a grinder, and why a slow speed grinder was a waste of money. Those of you who might be interested in reading his comments can view them on Wood Central (direct link removed by moderator - TOS violation)

For those of you who know Forest, he is recovering from a mild stroke. He has his computer with him in the hospital and was able to post his thoughts regarding grinding speed.

Karl Laustrup
05-12-2005, 4:19 PM
Thanks for that article Ken. :)

Norman Hitt
05-13-2005, 2:50 AM
As I recall, there was a thread recently regarding the purchase of a slow speed grinder for sharpening tools. On the surface that sounds like a good idea.

Toward the end of the discussion, I posted that an experienced machinist, Forrest Addy, made a good argument against slow speed grinders. Forrest posted his comments again regarding the proper use of a grinder, and why a slow speed grinder was a waste of money. Those of you who might be interested in reading his comments can view them on Wood Central

There is "STILL" a good use for Slow Speed Grinders, as explained by Bill Tindall in one of the other Posts listed below Forrest's post, titled "A supplemental view of grinding - bill tindall. This post is a good read also and has Valid Points.

John Hart
05-13-2005, 6:49 AM
I'd really like to see this debate resolved because I have both grinders in the shop. Perhaps there's pros and cons to both... I do have a tendency to remove more material with the high speed grinder, although I've not noticed much of a difference in sharpness.

Ken Garlock
05-13-2005, 1:07 PM
It seems that grinders are becoming somewhat of a religious debate. Mine is always the best :D

I have a cheap Grizzly high speed that I bought before the speed debate. I plan to continue to use it, but I did buy a diamond dressing tool to keep it clean. Some day I may want to change to a slower speed, but for the present, I will hang in there at 3500 RPM.

My goal in posting was to give some information "from the horses mouth" :)

Carl Eyman
05-13-2005, 4:54 PM
Happened to pick them up out of my files today. For what it's worth they recommend a 3400 rpm machine. Their reasoning is the wheel manufacturers recommend 6000 - 8000 fpm surface speed and you can't get it with 1750 rpm. However, I'm going to stick with my slow speed job.