PDA

View Full Version : More adventures in eucalyptus

Brian Kent
04-12-2013, 1:05 PM
I picked up a couple of legitimate log splitters and a legitimate sledge hammer to try to split the pieces of eucalyptus trunk. The creator of this wood had a big-time sense of humor.

The grain is so twisty that when I started in a pre-existing crack and tried to split it into pieces that can fit in the bandsaw, the crack followed the grain sideways and then removed a shallow chunk.

This experience gets me to saying to myself, "Chainsaw! I really NEED a chainsaw!" But do I really want to learn to use a chainsaw on this stuff? :eek:

Dennis Nagle
04-12-2013, 2:47 PM
Is that normal for that wood???

Roger Chandler
04-12-2013, 3:13 PM
Chainsaws Brian? Some people are averse to them, some people embrace them [ only at arms length, of course! :rolleyes::D] and they are like any other tool.......a healthy respect for them and the proper use of them can do wonders in certain situations. Improper use can be, well lets just say, dangerous! :eek:

Of course, I am certain you know all this already, and I am preaching to the choir, but I said all that just to say that I have found them very useful.......I have 3 myself [not gloating here! :o] but somewhere deeply recessed in my genetic makeup, I think there is a latent logger trying to come to the surface at times and be set free! :D:D

I would say you will find many useful situations where a chainsaw will come in handy.......in fact, as far a most woodturners are concerned........a chainsaw is about as standard equipment as is a bowl gouge! Good luck! :)

Brian Kent
04-12-2013, 3:15 PM
Yes, it is normal for eucalyptus, especially for the trunks. The branches have irregular grain, but straight enough that they can be split.

There is a great lore of eucalyptus in Southern California, imported from Australia for furniture - but it twisted and split and shifted around too much for furniture. Then they tried it for railroad ties and it twisted so much that the steel tracks were ruined and sometimes the spikes pushed out of the wood. Now it is just tall and pretty, but it requires a lot of maintenance so there will be a lot of it available in the coming years for turning - as long as you are ready for twists and turns, cracking and warping.

So I am really enjoying it, as long as I keep a sense of humor and stay completely away from the pith.

Jamie Donaldson
04-12-2013, 10:17 PM
Actually Brian you need at least 2 chainsaws, one electric for use indoors, and a 20" or more gas model for road trips!

Kyle Iwamoto
04-13-2013, 12:22 AM
Only 2 chainsaws? I have 4. I do need an electric for indoors. When I trim blanks on the lathe. Oh, I didn't mean to say that.:eek:

Reed Gray
04-13-2013, 1:08 AM
Well, if you are going to turn bowls, you need a chainsaw as much as you need a hand truck. Both essential. I have 2 chainsaws, well, 3 actually, but I don't use the electric one since I got my Laguna 16HD bandsaw. It cuts straighter. It really helps to have some one walk you through using a chainsaw. It is probably the most dangerous tool we use. Lots of exposed teeth.

robo hippy

Brian Kent
04-13-2013, 1:12 AM
Yup. I have a local Stihl and Husqvarna dealer that will spend some introductory time with me. I don't want to learn from the tree trimmers in my area. I have a total of 2-3 hours on chainsaws and I have safer techniques than they do.

Jon Lanier
04-13-2013, 1:59 AM
Might I suggest, a membership at the local Gym and a private trainer? ;-)