PDA

View Full Version : Shop wiring

Tom Mullane
05-12-2005, 12:41 PM
LOML has decreed that I can have the whole garage for my shop in the near future... WHOOOOPEEEEEE
That means moving a lot of stuff around and making sure that I can get power to them...
I was wondering about how you all go about it...
I just had 220 run into the garage and am getting ready to break out some 110 lines and 220 along that wall.... now it looks like I will need to get power to the middle of the garage for a tablesaw, bandsaw, etc....
I am thinking there are only 2 real options.. one go overhead with a drop line to the tools and the other is to run the cable on the concrete floor and have cover it. I think the overhead would get in the way on the table saw.
What do you guys recommend..

Rob Russell
05-12-2005, 4:28 PM
I guess my first question would be - "How are you going to run your Dust Collection piping?". Once you figure that out, the electrical is easy.

The order I'd lay stuff out is:

Layout machinery, paying attention to infeed and outfeed. Reuse of areas is fine.
Layout your Dust Collection piping/hose runs.
Layout your compressed air and electrical runs.
Add shop lighting.

Just my perspective.

Rob

John Hart
05-12-2005, 9:10 PM
I ran into the same question because my TS is in the middle of the shop. I have overhead outlets but not for the TS since the cabling would get in the way. Because I have matting over my concrete, it was a pretty easy decision to lay a single line on the floor under the matting to the saw. I put a Belkin 8 outlet protected power strip under the saw. In five years, it hasn't gotten in the way.

....Oh and...CONGRATULATIONS on the new shop!!!

Ted Shrader
05-12-2005, 10:00 PM
Tom -

Congratulations on LOYL recognizing the inevitable. The garage is really yours. :) :) (And that is it, too!). :)

I do have a couple of 110V drops from the ceiling out in the middle of my garage. One is over the workbench, the other over where the jointer or lunch box planer generally gets used. They are no end of handy. The 220V for the table saw and band saw are on the walls. The cord from either is run to the outlet along the floor and generally stays out of the way.

Have you thought about a sub-panel in the garage for future expansion?

Ted

Tony Falotico
05-13-2005, 6:38 AM
Tom, I put 4 110 outlets in the ceiling of my shop, put a hook by each one and got a retractable extension cord. All I have to do is place the retractable unit on the hook, plug it in and pull the other end out. When not in use it is up and out of the way, no dangling cords in the way.

As for the 220 to the TS, my dad had suspended his from the ceiling. It was workable, but a royal PITA especially when cutting sheet goods. Just one more thing you have to pay attention to, getting hung up in the cord. I ran mine along the floor covered with a rubber runner made for that purpose. It is not in the way and IMO much better.

Just my $0.02 worth. BTW Congratulations on obtaining the dedicated shop space -- it sure makes life easier and WW more enjoyable!

Jeff Sudmeier
05-13-2005, 8:28 AM
A drop from the ceiling will work, if it is in conduit and it drops to the right of the extension wing. This way, it won't get in the way at all. It would be just like having and overhead blade guard post their. (Great place to run the DC hose down too).