PDA

View Full Version : Whiteside new ultimate router bits

Shawn Russell
04-12-2013, 3:42 AM
Has anyone purchased and evaluated the new Whiteside flush trim bit and/or pattern trim bit?

The model numbers are
UDFT9112 Flush Trim
UDP9112 Pattern Trim

Was there anything about the bits that were a disappointment? Do you feel they are worth the expense of 139/149 dollars?

Cheers

Stephen Cherry
04-12-2013, 10:28 AM
Shawn, I use the spiral whiteside cutters in my pin router pretty regularly. If you do a lot of pattern router, you might consider taking a look at a cr onsrud 2003. These machines are very out of style, so sometimes they sell used for super cheap prices. One advantage is that you can use bits without the bearings.

Anyway, the whiteside spiral cutters give a fantastic cut, in my opinion superior to strait router bits, so these should give a very nice cut. My only concern would be the cost. I'm not saying it is not worth it because it looks like there is some serious machining on it and it could make a lot of parts.

If you have a shaper, you could consider something like this:
http://www.oellasawandtool.com/products/Byrd-48301202%252d3--Shelix-Shaper-Cutterhead-with-rub-collar%7B47%7D-bearing-3-x-3-x-3%7B47%7D4%22-bore-.html

This would be a long term tool that might last a lifetime. I have one of these in a larger size, and it can rough out parts very nicely.

Shawn Russell
04-12-2013, 3:46 PM
I have to laugh... a shaper... I am in the process of downsizing my shop size...

I have never really thought about having a shaper. I always considered that to be industrial equipment and way beyond what I do as a hobbyist. But, the more I am reading these seem to be a better investment than a router. The only downside is they are a real investment.

Stephen Cherry
04-12-2013, 4:26 PM
Shawn- there is a shaper for everyone. Deals for delta HD shapers pop up that are cheaper than a nice router table. Just something to consider.