PDA

View Full Version : Quick Bowl Repair

Hayes Rutherford
04-11-2013, 11:27 PM
I knew there would be cracks in this customer supplied Russian Olive when I roughed out several bowls over a year ago. It sat in firewood lengths a long time before I received it and when I told them their roughed out pieces had some cracks they still wanted bowls because it was from the family homestead. Some low cost repairs were needed and here is how I went about it.
259756Using a slotting cutter mounted in a drill press, I slowly pushed the bowl into the cutter. I chose not to go all the way though.

I turned a side grain disc the same dimension as the cutter(2") and test fit while still mounted.

The grain was oriented slightly off the bowl grain so the wood movement would be close but maximize strength, then it was pre cut slightly oversize.

Glued in with Titebond II, then scraped flush with the surface.

The repaired bowl ready for final sanding and finish. Thin shellac was used as a sanding sealer. It works well for me on Russian Olive in general and helped keep the glue from spreading.

I hope someone might find this informative. I have used a biscuit jointer as well in this manner but they can be difficult to use depending on the repair location.

Bernie Weishapl
04-12-2013, 12:19 AM
Hayes I like that idea. I have a couple of bowls with the same problem. Thank you for sharing.

Steve Schlumpf
04-12-2013, 12:30 AM
Now that works! Great idea! Thanks for sharing!

James Combs
04-12-2013, 12:40 AM
I will also be keeping that method in mine. As said by the others, thanks for sharing.

Dan Forman
04-12-2013, 3:36 AM
Very resourceful!

Dan

Richard Jones
04-12-2013, 5:32 AM
Great idea! I have some slotting cutters that I got for hinges on boxes, will give them a try.

thanks for sharing