PDA

View Full Version : What is it?

Mark Wyatt
04-11-2013, 10:39 PM
I found these inside a woodworkers tool chest I recently purchased. The chest had mostly chisels and carving tools. Any idea what they could be for?

Dan Hahr
04-11-2013, 11:41 PM
Sockets for square head bolts/nuts?

For an interchangeable head wrench.

I have no idea..
Dan

Jim Koepke
04-12-2013, 3:33 AM
They remind me of drapery weights, but those are usually made of lead and do not have different sizes.

Could they be markers for tenon cutting?

The size doesn't seem to have anything to do with the size of the hole.

Not sure of the URL, but there is a person who has a "what is it" web site.

jtk

Chris Griggs
04-12-2013, 6:16 AM
No idea BUT...my curiousity got the best of me so I put some of my mad research skills to work. I did a search for chicago mfg. company. It looks like they made a number of things but the search brought up more plumbing tools than anything else. Including this image from an old ebay auction

Its labeled as a plug wrench and I'd venture to guess that those little are templates used to size whatever this fits.

Another search for plumbing stuff showed me square head pipe plugs.

I could be wrong. I don't know a thing about plumbing, but I think its a safe bet that these are all related.

Jim Matthews
04-12-2013, 7:06 AM
No idea BUT...my curiousity got the best of me so I put some of my mad research skills to work. I did a search for chicago mfg. company. It looks like they made a number of things but the search brought up more plumbing tools than anything else. Including this image from an old ebay auction

Its labeled as a plug wrench and I'd venture to guess that those little are templates used to size whatever this fits.

Another search for plumbing stuff showed me square head pipe plugs.

I could be wrong. I don't know a thing about plumbing, but I think its a safe bet that these are all related.

Just don't ever search "What Jim did in High School..." you won't like what you find.
Anybody remember "Flock of Seagulls"? Like that only much, much worse...

Jonathan Clement
04-12-2013, 7:18 AM
Used with this tool?

Chris Griggs
04-12-2013, 7:46 AM
Just don't ever search "What Jim did in High School..." you won't like what you find.
Anybody remember "Flock of Seagulls"? Like that only much, much worse...

I think you're going to need to post a photo of that!

Charles Wiggins
04-12-2013, 9:41 AM
I have no idea, but I find it interesting that the holes seem to be approx. 1/4 of the marked size.

Chris Vandiver
04-12-2013, 10:16 AM
It seems as though the stated size on the "tool" is referring to pipe diameter. The "tool" may fit into some kind of universal holder/handle, making the unit into some kind of wrench, used for installing/removing pipe plugs?

Mark Dorman
04-13-2013, 7:59 AM
It seems as though the stated size on the "tool" is referring to pipe diameter. The "tool" may fit into some kind of universal holder/handle, making the unit into some kind of wrench, used for installing/removing pipe plugs?

Chris hit it. Checkout 151015265469 on the eBay.
A seller had an item I was interested in and I checked the rest of his stuff and bingo.

Jonathan Clement
04-13-2013, 8:15 AM
Great. What threw me was that the things looked flat in Mark's photos.

Andrew Kertesz
04-13-2013, 9:12 AM
If you look closely at Mark's photos the items are flat maybe an 1/8" - 1/4" thick at the most. If they were like the ebay item they would stand proud of the table top. They may be related but it isn't the same thing. I don't have a clue myself.

Mark Wyatt
04-13-2013, 10:29 AM
I could see them fitting into the wrench on e-bay to turn different sized nuts. They are about 1/8" thick.

Per my newly invented rules for "what is it?" items, if you want/need these shoot me a PM and I will send them to you, free!

harry strasil
04-14-2013, 9:57 PM
The bay item looks more like a wagon or buggy wheel wrench that ratchets, The items on here are all about the same outside diameter with different sized internal holes, that could be slipped over a smaller square stub so it could be turned with the bay item. JMO