PDA

View Full Version : Question about refinishing Baby crib and changing table

David Huston
04-11-2013, 6:08 PM
My wife just bought a changing table that she wants repainted white. It has a wood grain appearance now but I am pretty sure it is made of some sort of particle board with a very thin veneer, if it is even real wood veneer. Should i just lightly scuff sand to help with adhesion? I am worried about sanding through the veneer. Also I have a crib that I would like to repaint. My first son chewed it up pretty good so it will need some filling and sanding around the edges. My question with it is what should I use to strip the stain off of it or should I just lightly sand it as well. Is there any paints I should stay away from since it will probably get chewed on again? I am looking into buying a Earlex 5500, would like to buy a Fuji Mini mite 3 but I dont think the wife will go for that price tag! Will the earlex spray EM6000 lacquer by target coatings? Is that safe for a crib? Can the EM6000 be tinted white?

Any input is greatly appreciated!

John TenEyck
04-11-2013, 7:35 PM
Target, GF, and Crystallac (and I'm sure others) make white WB polys. I would make any repairs you need to to fill any defects, lightly sand everything with 220 grit or similar, and then spray BIN or the manufacturer's primer on them. Then fix any defects you didn't see before, prime one more time, and then shoot the topcoat.

Sorry, I know nothing about the Earlex.

John

David Huston
04-12-2013, 11:04 AM
I looked at the Target coatings website and I didn't see any white WB polys. All that I saw listed was clear, do they tint those?

John TenEyck
04-12-2013, 2:48 PM
Sorry, it's a WB lacquer: http://www.targetcoatings.com/products/sealers-primers-a-grain-fillers/em6500-white-base-coat.html

John