PDA

View Full Version : Tattoo question

curtis rosche
04-11-2013, 4:26 PM
I have a question for those of you who have tattoos. I really dont want to hear any stories of "this friends i have" or "someone i knew once". Cause they are a dime a dozen. What I would like to hear is from those who have a tattoo, but not just some tribal or a plain tattoo. I mean a tattoo with meaning, like that one you got for someone close to you has passed, or for something you went through. One that has a connection to your life. Do you ever look at a tattoo like that and regret getting it, or wish you hadnt? Or do you see it and remember why you got it?

Im curious, cause Ive only heard stories from people who've never had any themselves. Or from a few people I know that got something just for the sake of getting one.

Andrew Joiner
04-11-2013, 7:18 PM
I got a tattoo when I was 14 years old. I'd been in jail and the cool guys had tattoos. I wanted to be tough and cool so I had an artist friend tattoo a skull and cross bones on my arm. This was in 1964 when it wasn't anywhere near as common as today. I felt I was "making a statement" that I was a rebel. I lived like a rebel and was in jail a few more times.

In 1975 I got off drugs and alcohol. I became an honest, hard working tax paying citizen.

Thankfully my tattoo must not have been deep enough to be permanent. After a year it seemed to grow apart and within 3 years it disappeared. I guess if God wanted to have a rebel symbol on me I'd have been born with one.

Bonnie Campbell
04-11-2013, 8:55 PM
I got a rose tattoo in my thirties in memory of my mom. I don't regret getting it, and I think of her every time I see the tattoo. It's a reminder to me to live 'happy'.

Joe Bradshaw
04-11-2013, 11:17 PM
Curtis, I have many tattoos and each one has some meaning to me. The last one I got was a phoenix to mark the start of a new beginning in my life. And no, I have not regretted a single one.

Mike Henderson
04-11-2013, 11:45 PM
Just remember that for many people, including some employers, tattoos are known as "Tramp Stamps". Depending on your profession, they could hinder your advancement.

Mike

Ken Fitzgerald
04-12-2013, 12:06 AM
Even the Armed Forces have new, stricter regulations concerning tatoos. Members of the armed forces can now be forced to leave the service if they have or get an illegal tatoo.

Plastics surgeons wouldn't be trained in the skill of using lasers to remove tatoos if there weren't a lot of people who later regretted getting them.

curtis rosche
04-12-2013, 12:17 AM
Plastics surgeons wouldn't be trained in the skill of using lasers to remove tatoos if there weren't a lot of people who later regretted getting them.

But what Im interested in is what percentage of those are "just tattos" i.e. naked woman, stereotypical skull and bones, girlfriends name, exwifes name, VERSUS a tattoo of your kids names, something signifying your heritage or the things that made you who you are, or something to remind you of a lost loved one.

Stephen Cherry
04-12-2013, 12:42 AM
Hey Curtis, just a comment from a non-tattooed old guy, you don't need a tattoo to remind you of your loss; memories will do just fine for that.

But who doesn't like a nice naked lady tattoo?

One thing to remember though is that the message you send is not necessarily the message received.

curtis rosche
04-12-2013, 12:48 AM
Hey Curtis, just a comment from a non-tattooed old guy, you don't need a tattoo to remind you of your loss; memories will do just fine for that.

But who doesn't like a nice naked lady tattoo?

One thing to remember though is that the message you send is not necessarily the message received.

Im not saying Im getting one,,, Im just curious cause every time Ive heard about tattoos, its either from someone who just got one, or its from someone who has never had one but claims that all of them are later regretable. I just want to hear the other side of the argument, from people whove had them for years.

mike holden
04-12-2013, 10:57 AM
My "uncle" had a tattoo. It was from Auschwitz. Tattoos are not happy things to me.
Mike

Point being: not everyone will have the same thoughts about them that you do.

Don Orr
04-12-2013, 10:59 AM
Disclaimer-I don't and won't have any tattos. Nothing against others having them, they're just not for me.

I'm an MRI tecnologist by trade and tattoos can and do cause burns during an MRI exam. This is not a joke-I have personally seen it. It is well documented in the MRI safety literature. It's not common, but it can happen. Supposedly the bright colorful inks contain metallic compounds that get heated by the magnetic fields. Any metal can be a hazard in MRI whether it is magnetic or not. All metals are conductors of electricity and heat. Body piercings have also become a significant problem.

I give you a lot of credit for asking about this subject. It shows you are thinking rationally before doing something fairly permanent to your body. What others have said about 1st impressions is true-you don't get a second chance at one. It is also true that laser removal is a long, expensive and painful process. You're a smart young man and don't need to rush into anything. While tattoos are very popular, it does not mean they are universaly accepted, regardless of their meaning to the bearer. If this has anything to do with your step-dad, ask yourself what would he think if he saw one on you.

And thanks for trusting in your Creeker family. Always here to help.

Myk Rian
04-12-2013, 11:34 AM
Im not saying Im getting one,,, Im just curious cause every time Ive heard about tattoos, its either from someone who just got one, or its from someone who has never had one but claims that all of them are later regretable. I just want to hear the other side of the argument, from people whove had them for years.
Probably should have asked somewhere else.

Brent Ring
04-12-2013, 11:39 AM
Disclaimer-I don't and won't have any tattos. Nothing against others having them, they're just not for me.

I'm an MRI tecnologist by trade and tattoos can and do cause burns during an MRI exam. This is not a joke-I have personally seen it. It is well documented in the MRI safety literature. It's not common, but it can happen. Supposedly the bright colorful inks contain metallic compounds that get heated by the magnetic fields. Any metal can be a hazard in MRI whether it is magnetic or not. All metals are conductors of electricity and heat. Body piercings have also become a significant problem.

I give you a lot of credit for asking about this subject. It shows you are thinking rationally before doing something fairly permanent to your body. What others have said about 1st impressions is true-you don't get a second chance at one. It is also true that laser removal is a long, expensive and painful process. You're a smart young man and don't need to rush into anything. While tattoos are very popular, it does not mean they are universaly accepted, regardless of their meaning to the bearer. If this has anything to do with your step-dad, ask yourself what would he think if he saw one on you.

And thanks for trusting in your Creeker family. Always here to help.

Ditto on ALL Don said!

Brent Ring
04-12-2013, 11:42 AM
One other note, I believe David Marks has a tattoo on his arm. In the episodes of Woodworks, he always wore long sleeves. I believe the producers of the show did not want to display his tattoo. Not everyone sees tattoos the same.

Andrew Joiner
04-12-2013, 11:47 AM
I'm an MRI tecnologist by trade and tattoos can and do cause burns during an MRI exam. This is not a joke-I have personally seen it. It is well documented in the MRI safety literature. It's not common, but it can happen.

I volunteered at a charity that did hepatitis research. There are many health risks for getting a tattoo. Getting Hepatitis C is one of the risks. I have lots of studies that I can show you. The truth is tattoo licensing in the strictest states is a joke.
Anytime you make a choice to have a your skin pierced you take a risk. Even hospitals, as clean and regulated as they are, have accidentally transmitted serious disease.

Brian Kerley
04-12-2013, 11:50 AM
Just remember that for many people, including some employers, tattoos are known as "Tramp Stamps". Depending on your profession, they could hinder your advancement.

Mike

A "tramp stamp" is only a tattoo that exists on a certain part of a woman's body. Most tattoos are not regarded as such.

Andrew Joiner
04-12-2013, 12:31 PM
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/images/misc/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by curtis rosche http://www.sawmillcreek.org/images/buttons/viewpost-right.png (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=2095829#post2095829)

Probably should have asked somewhere else.

I think it's a great topic. Tattoos have become very mainstream and accepted. I like the way you're looking at it, Curtis. Your asking good questions.

Kevin Bourque
04-12-2013, 12:33 PM
FWIW- I was in a bar about 25 years ago when one of the regulars walked in to show off his brand new tattoos. One was the yin-yang symbol on his shoulder that he referred to as, "one of those Chinese ying-yang signs." The other tat payed homage to his favorite band and covered his entire forearm. There was a smiling skull with a lightning bolt on it and the words Greatful Dead emblazoned in huge letters for all the world to see. I noticed the mistake immediately, but didn't have the heart to tell him. I still wonder to this day how long it took him to figure it out. :D

Ted Calver
04-12-2013, 12:44 PM
I seriously thought about getting some body art years ago. There are beautiful examples out there, but quality ink work is very expensive and I would be careful in selecting the artist. I opted for some discrete piercings, not visible in work clothing and which can be removed for medical procedures. Piercing seems passe these days, but I still enjoy mine because they remind me of significant happenings in my life. I recommend any tattoo work you consider be discrete also. There are still old school employers around that can't see past the ink.

Brian Kerley
04-12-2013, 1:03 PM
FWIW- I was in a bar about 25 years ago when one of the regulars walked in to show off his brand new tattoos. One was the yin-yang symbol on his shoulder that he referred to as, "one of those Chinese ying-yang signs." The other tat payed homage to his favorite band and covered his entire forearm. There was a smiling skull with a lightning bolt on it and the words Greatful Dead emblazoned in huge letters for all the world to see. I noticed the mistake immediately, but didn't have the heart to tell him. I still wonder to this day how long it took him to figure it out. :D

Supposedly, many tattoo shops around army bases put up a sign that basically says, "Calvary is where Jesus died. Cavalry is an army unit"

Bryan Slimp
04-12-2013, 2:17 PM
I read a book a few years ago that was pretty good on this topic.

Tattoo Machine: Tall Tales, True Stories, and My Life in Ink by Jeff Johnson.

Mike Chance in Iowa
04-12-2013, 4:12 PM
Good question Curtis.

I have more than one tattoo. The one I had done for sentimental reasons is the one I am not happy with. I searched around to find an artist known for his fine inking skills. I had a graphic a friend had drawn that I wanted inked. It was fine and elegant. The tattoo came out looking thick and somewhat clunky. Comparing the drawing and the tattoo side-by-side ... you wouldn't know it was supposed to be the same thing other then the basic shape.

Most people have no idea I have tattoos. The people who have seen that sentimental tattoo all like it and think it's great. I don't like it, because to me, it's not "my drawing." I think it bothers me more because I did that tattoo for sentimental reasons and it came out not looking the way I wanted it to.

Over the years, I have talked to others about their tattoos and for the ones who did/do not like their tattoo, the common factor is it was not drawn to their expectations. The same thing happens in every field and aspect of our lives. Just because someone knows how to use a tool, doesn't mean they can do a good job. (Perfect example. Just because I know how to use a pencil, it still doesn't mean people can read my handwriting!)

Myk Rian
04-12-2013, 5:05 PM
I think it's a great topic.
Perhaps so. But the replies are mostly not what was asked.

Erik Loza
04-12-2013, 5:50 PM
My wife has a not-small, but discreet, tattoo on one shoulderblade. I think if you were to ask her, her advice might be, "If you choose to get one, make sure it is in an area that can easily be covered up".

Erik Loza
Minimax USA

curtis rosche
04-13-2013, 12:32 AM
Perhaps so. But the replies are mostly not what was asked.
Mike Chance's reply was exactly the kind of reply I was looking for.

Thanks Mike, and to the others.

Myk Rian
04-13-2013, 9:15 AM
Yeah, I'm just commenting on how answers to Qs get so "not what was asked for".
Life goes on.

Brett Robson
04-13-2013, 10:41 AM
I can second the suggestion to keep your tattoos under your clothing. I have several tattoos, all on my arms. The biggest was a design on my forearm which stretched nearly wrist to elbow. Out of all of them I have, it had the least meaning and I got it on a whim one night in Subic Bay.

Over the years I had it, it didn't age as well as my other ones and faded and spread and generally looked ugly. It even cost me a job offer. Eventually I had it removed.

I can tell you the laser removal process is no joke. The actual zapping with the laser isn't too bad, it goes fast and doesn't hurt all that bad, but the recovery is agony.

The laser breaks up the ink by heating it. Problem is that heat burns your skin in the process. So after leaving the clinic with an ice pack taped to my arm, I'd race home with my arm on fire and run cold water on it the second I walked in the door. Over the next several weeks I'd work with what amounted to a large burn on my forearm, which would eventually scab over, then crack and bleed and then scab and itch. After 6 weeks, everything would finally be healed up and I'd get to go back and do it all over again. I repeated this process 12 times at a cost of $250 per treatment to get rid of that ink.

I still have one on the underside of my forearm which I've considered getting removed but to this point haven't committed to the idea. Fortunately all the other tats I have are under my
sleeves where they're not seen, plus I still like them.

At the time I got the one I removed, I loved it and thought it'd be a part of me forever. I never considered my opinion of it might change or it's size and location might present a problem. If you decide to get inked, do your future self a favor and keep them confined to locations under your clothes.

Biff Johnson
04-13-2013, 1:18 PM
I waited until my mid 30's before getting inked. Not out of any moral dilemma, just that I couldn't decide what to get! Now I have two that can easily be covered up and I don't regret them. However.... I am still not thrilled that my wife and eldest daughter have tatoos. I reserve the right to be a little sexist now and then!

While I didn't get mine out of rebellion or to take a stand on any issue, it does seem that nowadays everybody has a tattoo and it has lost a little of the impact. You certainly should get the ink done for solely your enjoyment but it was kind of nice to stand out from the crowd a little. Now if every Tom, Dick and Harriet has a tattoo then you really aren't that individual, are you? Just thoughts to consider...

Andrew Joiner
04-13-2013, 9:09 PM
. Now if every Tom, Dick and Harriet has a tattoo then you really aren't that individual, are you?

Yes, good point. Today one could show individuality by not getting a tattoo.

Greg Peterson
04-14-2013, 12:00 PM
No regrets for me. But then I do not have any ink. Leaving my options open.

Jeremy Hamaker
04-15-2013, 2:15 PM
I have one tattoo, of a gargoyle, on my back left shoulder. I named him Cyril. I tell people "He watches my back."
I got him because I wanted a tattoo and I like gargoyles. My understanding is they were historically erected in stone form to keep bad spirits away. So having a gargoyle on my back, that 'watches my back' kind of ties it all together for me. No, I don't really believe that a picture of a gargoyle does anything in the real world to protect me, but I like the subject matter, and I like the story. That's about as deep as the meaning goes for me. I don't regret it a bit, and continue to think about what other ink I might like to get (when I get a few spare dollars that don't go toward the woodturning vortex). I don't believe any other tattoo I get would have any 'deep meaning' either, but I do like things to have at least some connection in my mind. When Cyril gets old and splotchy and looks like a vaguely egg shaped blob, I still won't regret it because I can just imagine what my own face and body will look like by that time. Who am I to criticize how Cyril looks then?!
I wasn't willing to have my tattoo in the more visible places because I didn't want to risk the 'consequences'.

curtis rosche
04-15-2013, 3:10 PM
When Cyril gets old and splotchy and looks like a vaguely egg shaped blob, I still won't regret it because I can just imagine what my own face and body will look like by that time. Who am I to criticize how Cyril looks then?!
That has to be the best awnser I have ever heard as an argument to that point

Chris Padilla
04-15-2013, 5:55 PM
I've enjoyed this topic and the thread. I am not a tattoo person and have only had fleeting thoughts of getting one but I seriously doubt I'll ever get anything. Kids today go overboard with full arms and shoulder inked up. I always wonder what they think and how they look 20, 30 years later. A lot of basketball players go pretty crazy, too.

My father was in the Navy for 20 years. He has no tattoos. I recall a friend of his who had a small curly-cue line on his shoulder. I asked him about it and he said he had the artist stop because it hurt too much! LOL My father said he simply didn't like them nor did he want to spend the money on them.

We all have ways of celebrating our individuality: body art, jewelry, clothing, hair style, etc. Humans have done this as far back as any records show.

Mike Chance in Iowa
04-15-2013, 8:29 PM
I wasn't willing to have my tattoo in the more visible places because I didn't want to risk the 'consequences'.

.. in other words ... "I'm afraid mom will find out." :D

Jim Matthews
04-15-2013, 9:26 PM
If you're under twenty - the only name you should consider is "MOM".

It bears mentioning that neck tattoos, face tattoos or the like will be grounds for rejection in many HR departments.
If you're going to wear colors - be prepared to wear long sleeves, in all weather.

http://www.careerealism.com/hiring-discrimination-tattoos-piercings/

Brent Hull
04-23-2013, 10:13 PM
i have 7 tattoos. the first one is a snake wrapped around barbed wire encompassing my right upper arm. i got it because my unit at the time was known as Vipers. the second is a bald eagle holding an American flag in its mouth. it also encompasses my left upper arm. i got it because i have served this flag and great Nation for a long time. the third is tribal on my back....just because it looked cool. the fourth is a grim reaper holding a smoking machine gun. this is for all the dark/evil things i have witnessed/participated in during my career. 5 an 6 is picture of the humvee i used while in baghdad, iraq in 2004. on top of it is apache helicopter. i chose that because they were our support when driving around the city and my son in law is a mechanic for them.

I have been serving for 21 years now and still love my job. i am planning for retirement soon and am fully aware that not every employer appreciates tattoos. i will never get rid of them. so i will wear long sleeve shirts to cover them. i have been wearing long sleeves everyday for the last 21 years. dont think another 20 will hurt.

Bill Cunningham
04-25-2013, 11:11 PM
'Americas worst tattoos' ... watch a few episodes before you get one

http://www.tlc.com/tv-shows/americas-worst-tattoos

Biff Johnson
04-25-2013, 11:48 PM
'Americas worst tattoos' ... watch a few episodes before you get one

http://www.tlc.com/tv-shows/americas-worst-tattoos

To be fair to tattoos, that show mostly involves teenagers that think it is a great idea to have their boyfriend's cousin give them a tattoo in the basement while they all smoke something psychedelic. The "artist" usually has all the artistic caliber of a 1st grader and his tattoo kit consists of a magic marker and one of grandma's sewing needles.

It is pretty amazing how a professional artist can turn a demonic My Little Pony into a tasteful design though!

Gene E Miller
04-28-2013, 10:06 AM
Greetings & Salutations, I know that we have a number of women here on the Creek so this is more for them than the guys but it could be applied across the board. "Just remember when you have a Eagle on you back when you are young it will become a buzzard in your crack when you are old." :D:D:D

Frank Trinkle
04-28-2013, 1:23 PM
I have one tattoo on my lower right leg. It is a unique one that I got a number of years ago as a senior executive with the Sea Shepherd Conservation Society. (Yes...the one on Whale Wars on Animal Planet.) I have never regretted getting the tattoo. It is out of sight when wearing long pants, and solidifies my continued support of an organization committed to ocean wildlife conservation issues. (Not PETA or money-grubbing Greenpeace). I can't imagine having it removed. It is a reminder of my three years helping to guide the organization that continues its mission today.

Andrew Joiner
04-28-2013, 2:02 PM
"Just remember when you have a Eagle on you back when you are young it will become a buzzard "

That's so true. Unfortunately it's almost impossible for a young person to believe it or accept it. When I got my skull and bones tattoo I truly thought I'd be a rebel forever.

Jon Shank
04-30-2013, 7:11 PM
I've got a couple of tattoos, each one is for a part or person in my life I wanted to remember. I'll probably get more at some point. I don't regret any of them. I did make a considered desicion to not get any that I couldn't cover in long pants and a polo shirt so they wouldn't cause me job problems later on, and that's a good idea for most folks I would say. If your a tattoo artist or motorcycle mechanic it might never cause you any problems, but for alot of professions it might give the HR folks pause.

Jon

Kevin Jenness
12-02-2022, 7:40 AM
No Regerts.

Bill Dufour
12-02-2022, 6:08 PM
I see a lot of high school girls and guys with tatoos and more with Tee shirts with pictures and sayings. They seem surprised people stare and try to read them and figure them out. they complain to their friends some guy asked them what they mean. Some guy was staring at my chest etc. like they think the meaning should be obvious.
Bill D

Frederick Skelly
12-02-2022, 6:11 PM
You guys realize this thread is 9 years old, right?
:) :) :)

Bruce Page
12-02-2022, 6:20 PM
You guys realize this thread is 9 years old, right?
:) :) :)

It was reopened by a spammer yesterday.

Closing it now