PDA

View Full Version : 3 sided Ash Bowl

Roger Chandler
04-11-2013, 3:25 PM
This piece of ash gave me fits. It cracked while on the lathe, repaired it, cracked in other places......Trust me it has copious amounts of CA glue holding it together, and I had to use debonder to unglue my fingers! :eek:

I had to do the base differently than I had wanted because even the tenon broke on me .....twice! :eek: This one was a real pain, but since I had gotten it about 2/3rds done when all the cracking began.......I just persevered through it and did what I had to do.

I speculate that this particular piece of ash [which was a cut off from a crotch piece given to me from Jeff Bartley] came from a tree with some significant windshake, because the cracking just followed the path of the grain layers and then across the grain as well.......did I mention this was really a pain? :rolleyes::D

Glue stains show through the finish on this light wood, so this one is not stellar, and you know me, I show the good, the bad, and the ugly! :D:rolleyes:

IMHO......it turned out okay, but nothing to write home about........good enough to post on SMC, however! :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::p This is about 6.5 inches across.

259729259730259731259732259733259734 Your comments are always welcome! :)

Mike Golka
04-11-2013, 3:43 PM
Roger, good save and good looking bowl.

Roger Chandler
04-11-2013, 7:12 PM
Roger, good save and good looking bowl.

Thanks Mike......appreciated! You know, seems like I have been on a run of bad wood lately! This piece of ash was in the shape of a cube and had no apparent cracks in it. It just cracked as it was being turned.......I thought I had a pretty stable piece of wood with this one, but boy, was I surprised!

Mike Koble
04-11-2013, 7:25 PM
Really nice. Ive never turned anything like that as of yet but sure looks like it could be a knuckle buster :eek:

Roger Chandler
04-11-2013, 7:49 PM
Really nice. Ive never turned anything like that as of yet but sure looks like it could be a knuckle buster :eek:

Yep, Mike......sanding this form can be a real adventure! ;)

Brian Kent
04-11-2013, 9:38 PM
The super glue will hold your flesh together where the propeller chopped it up.

Bernie Weishapl
04-12-2013, 10:09 AM
Great save Roger and the bowl is a beauty. Going to have to try one of those.

Roger Chandler
04-12-2013, 11:35 AM
Great save Roger and the bowl is a beauty. Going to have to try one of those.

Thank you Sir! Hope you get to try one soon......I'm sure you still have peppermills and other items to make for the Buffalo Bill park first! :)

bob svoboda
04-12-2013, 1:38 PM
Good job making a nice piece from a difficult piece of wood!

Roger Chandler
04-12-2013, 3:03 PM
Good job making a nice piece from a difficult piece of wood!

Thanks Bob! This one was a real challenge .......the form is not as easy as a regular bowl that is for sure, but then the wood had to all wonky on me, so that made this one even more difficult. Thanks!

Steve Vaughan
04-12-2013, 8:53 PM
That's a neat looking bowl there Roger, not sure I've ever seen one before. Gonna have to save that idea and give it a shot.

Roger Chandler
04-12-2013, 9:42 PM
That's a neat looking bowl there Roger, not sure I've ever seen one before. Gonna have to save that idea and give it a shot.

Good luck with it Steve!

Jeff Bartley
04-13-2013, 7:43 AM
That's a neat form Roger! It's really cool to see what you've done with some of that ash! I hope the rest of that crotch holds up, the slabs I cut have checked at the ends but I haven't pulled them out to really take a look. There's plenty more walnut of you're interested. Good save!

Roger Chandler
04-13-2013, 6:15 PM
That's a neat form Roger! It's really cool to see what you've done with some of that ash! I hope the rest of that crotch holds up, the slabs I cut have checked at the ends but I haven't pulled them out to really take a look. There's plenty more walnut of you're interested. Good save!

Thanks Jeff! This was the last piece of that ash I have......perhaps a very small piece I could make a pen blank or two from, but that is all I have of it. I have not gotten into the walnut I got from you as of yet........on my to do list for sure, but I have it in my back building for storage.

We are going to have to get together and make that spalted maple bowl we have been talking about for your client..........I hope to be able to do that in about two weeks, if everything goes well! I will send you an email!