PDA

View Full Version : Shop A/C - Gloat *pics*

Kevin Herber
05-12-2005, 9:57 AM
The summers down here in Central Texas are brutal. High temps and high humidity. In the past I have stayed out of the garage/shop pretty well from mid-April to September. I finally decided to do something about it. The problem is that I live in condo and cannot put any holes in the walls for a permanent A/C installation like I did at my last house where I put a window unit in the wall.

I ran across an installation of a ‘ductless, mini-split’ A/C setup at a local business. The system is similar to a full central system. It has an inside cooler/air handler and an outside condenser. In normal installations the units are separated by the walls of the building so I wondered “Why can’t the garage door be the wall?”

I had a mounting device put together that is like a very large hand truck (two wheeler). The bottom plate is 30” by 30” of ¼ inch steel. The upright is six feet tall and made out of 1 ½ inch square tubing and located along one side of the bottom plate. Picture a large ‘L’ shaped setup.

I mounted the outside unit on the front lip of the plate. The inside air handler is at the top of the upright. The garage door comes down between the two units creating the wall.

I catch the condensate in a five gallon bucket and use it to water plants.

When I am finished using the system I turn off the unit, unplug the power, open the garage door, tilt the whole thing forward and place a furniture dolly under it. Then I just roll it to it’s parking place in the garage until next time. It runs on 120volts. I put an outlet at the front corner of the shop and on its own circuit.

After the A/C guy charged the system we fired it up. The system works better than I expected. Yesterday the temp was mid 80’s with very high humidity. It pulled the shop temp down to 67 degrees and removed 3+ gallons of water over 5 hours. There is hardly any noise. The ouside unit is quieter than my my Fein vac. I can stand next to the inside unit and talk on the phone and the person on the other end cannot hear the fan – even on high.

I still have some door bottom seal work to do. The gap is a little too big. After that it should be even better. I am also putting together some filters to keep the sawdust from being sucked into the air handler. Rick Wynn at Wynn Environmental gave me some good advice on filters. I’ll post pics when I am finished.

I’m a cool and happy camper!!

-- Kevin

mike malone
05-12-2005, 10:22 AM
Kewl Kevin, very kewl!!
i will look into a similar unit for my shop...... 100 degree calif temps is good for drying wood, but tough on people.
regards
mike

Bill Lewis
05-12-2005, 10:22 AM
One word, Cool!

Jerry Clark
05-12-2005, 10:27 AM
Great idea-- give the guy a problem and he will find a way! :rolleyes:

Jeff Sudmeier
05-12-2005, 11:26 AM
That is a great solution to a hot problem! (Sorry bout the pun) :)

Dennis McDonaugh
05-12-2005, 11:32 AM
Kevin, real men don't need air conditioners! :D How much does something like that cost? Just out of curiousity you understand. ;)

Mike Tempel
05-12-2005, 11:39 AM
Very nice. Where did you come across this again? Oh yeah, how much does something like this run? Any idea as to the SEER or BTU ratings?????

Steve Stube
05-12-2005, 12:09 PM
Kevin, When the bottom door panel is up the thickness of the steel plate, (not sealed ), the top panel is already set back from the seal along the top of the door also (by design to give clearance) and you will likely have a gap to seal at that location and the wedge shaped space between that top door panel and the seal along the sides of the top panel. Some of the round calking backer rope may do the trick to fill the gap. I think you have a workable plan where your not allowed any alterations. At-a-boy's all around!

Kevin Herber
05-12-2005, 12:16 PM
I've seen off brand units on the internet for $300 - $500. This is a Carrier and it cost about $900. It is one ton - 12000btu. I don't know about the SEER on it. Haven't seen any specs for that.

I am not a welder so I had the frame built. That was $100. The A/C guy charged $200 to evacuate and charge the lines. He also did the unit electrical. I could have done the electric myslef but he was there soooo....

All said and done I have about $1350 in it. That's lots more than a window unit but I think this is higher quality and will last longer.

As for the installation design, I saw a standard permanent installation in the waiting room for an auto repair shop. I pondered for a while and came up with the portable design myself.

Thanks for the comments. -- Kevin

Dave Lehnert
07-20-2005, 11:22 PM
I kind of did the same thing but with a window unit. I purchased a clearance air conditioner for $35 at Home depot and just placed in under the garage door. Purchased some foam insulation that comes in large sheets. Cut it the same height as the air unit and as wide as the door. And then lower the garage door . The air unit is small but it does take the humidity off in the workshop.