PDA

View Full Version : Need advice on which 1/4" and 1/8" BS blades to buy...

Michael Dunn
04-11-2013, 12:47 AM
I finally got my bandsaw cutting nicely using a 1/2" woodslicer blade. I'd like to bear to do some right scroll work as well as resawing. I watched the Alex Snodgrass vid and was blown away. I don't recall him saying which blade he used.

What 1/4" and 1/8" blades are good? I've had a useless BS for over 3 years due to bad blades so please let me know what you use that tracks, and cuts well.

I'd like to make some bandsW boxes and those cool wiggley snakes. My kids will love them!!!

lowell holmes
04-11-2013, 7:23 AM
I order my blades from BC Saw in Canada. Michael Fortune recommended them in a bandsaw article he did for one of the magazines. I tried them and have been happy with them.

Julie Moriarty
04-11-2013, 7:57 AM
I'd stay away from Carter. I bought several in the narrow sizes. Some were fine, some weren't. The 1/8" cut a kerf wider than my 1" Woodmaster.

I was impressed with BandSawBlades.com but it looks like the narrowest blades they sell are 1/4". I called them for recommendations on a resaw blade for some big timbers and the blade they recommended worked great.

Prashun Patel
04-11-2013, 10:19 AM
Michael-
Check out bandsawblades.com. While a bargain-buy, I use their 3/8" 3tpi for green wood, and 3/4" for resawing with great results. I've bought about 15 blades from them in the past few years, and have had great experience with the quality and service.

Michael Dunn
04-11-2013, 10:43 AM
I order my blades from BC Saw in Canada. Michael Fortune recommended them in a bandsaw article he did for one of the magazines. I tried them and have been happy with them.

I believe I've read that same article. Tool setup from FWW? I checked out there website briefly. I'll have to check again. I ended up going with the HWW WS's for resawing.

The author said he had some other company weld them, right? Did you opt for the same?

Stew Hagerty
04-11-2013, 10:51 AM
For me there is no question... Timberwolf

I have a Grizzly G0555X with riser and I use them exclusively for all of the sizes that my saw can handle from 1/8" through 3/4". I realize you asked about the smaller blades, but I'd also like to say that I'd put their wider blades up against Woodslicer as well.

Actually, here is a list of the blades I get from them:

1/8" X 14HP
1/4" X 10RK
3/8 X 6PC
1/2 X 4PC
3/4 X 2-3VPC

That 3/4" blade is a wood eating monster.

Michael Dunn
04-13-2013, 9:03 PM
I just ordered some Grizzly 1/4" and 1/8" blades. I can't wait to see how they cut and track.

One more question...

Do I need a stabilizer for right scroll work on narrow blades? If so, what can I buy?

Stew Hagerty
04-13-2013, 9:31 PM
I just ordered some Grizzly 1/4" and 1/8" blades. I can't wait to see how they cut and track.

One more question...

Do I need a stabilizer for right scroll work on narrow blades? If so, what can I buy?

Carter... I upgraded to the Carter Micro-Adjustable Roller Guides and added on their Stabilizer. It works great with an 1/8" Blade.