PDA

View Full Version : Avocado Southwest Form & repair recommendation.

Brian Kent
04-10-2013, 11:59 PM
I was using a recess on this piece of avocado to hold it onto the chuck and it broke off.

I was going to toss it and start over when my wife asked me to try to fix it and let her have it. I can use the 5" ROS to reshape the foot and get rid of the shallow chip out.

My question is about the 1/4" x 1" chip in the rim. I could either cut it clean, epoxy on a small piece, fill it with epoxy and something?, or turn it back 1/4". The question is the change in form vs. the appearance of a repair.

Any recommendations? Thanks.

Brian Kent
04-11-2013, 2:12 AM
I got it. Turned a new tenon, got rid of the flare, narrowed the foot, and finished the inside. This is one coat of de-waxed shellac. It looks surprisingly similar to some mahogany. In the light of the pictures I can tell the insides need some smoothing before I continue with a finish.

charlie knighton
04-11-2013, 7:27 AM
glad you were able to save it, looks like a southwest form now, do not let SS see it, very nice

Fred Belknap
04-11-2013, 8:40 AM
Brian I like your save, I think your wife will be proud of it. I like how the grain seems to bend over the top section. I do lots of bowls and am always looking for a variety, may just steal that design.

Jerry Marcantel
04-11-2013, 9:04 AM
Good save, Brian. Good looking form......... Jerry (in Tucson)

Dennis Ford
04-11-2013, 9:43 AM
This turned out to be a "design opportunity". I really like the finished product.

Jamie Donaldson
04-11-2013, 2:53 PM
Brian, using a chuck in expansion mode rather than the much more secure compression on a tenon is just asking for an accident to happen.