PDA

View Full Version : Chipped HSS Shaper Cutter

Bob Coleman
04-10-2013, 11:12 PM
One of my shaper cutters has a chip on the very tip of one of the wings. I use it on an old Delta LD shaper. Should I have any concerns about using it? Will the surface be smooth or will I need to do a lot of work to it? Any risk of it shattering on me?

Looking for a little peace of mind - thanks!

Leo Graywacz
04-11-2013, 12:05 AM
Looks like it's a steel cutter and not a carbide cutter. It also looks like it is more of a squish than a chip in the picture to me. Like someone dropped it on that corner.

If it is a steel cutter then you shouldn't have an issue. Of course I don't 100% guarantee this as your picture is lacking.

Mark Wooden
04-11-2013, 7:38 AM
Lay the flat sides of the cutter down on a waterstone, oilstone or some wet/dry paper on glass and hone the faces flat to remove any burrs. Should be good to use after the touch up; I've had a bunch of those cutters for years that I use from time to time. You can still buy them from Corob Cutters new.

Bob Coleman
04-11-2013, 12:42 PM
Yes, HSS cutter - forgot to include that.

It is a chip rather than a dent or smush. I'll check for burrs and give it a whirl. Thanks!

Jeff Duncan
04-11-2013, 2:20 PM
I'm wondering who manufacturers that cutter of yours? Maybe it's just the pic but it appears to be very little body around the rim? Aside of that I'd just clean it up and run it....only way to know for sure is to give it a test cut;)

good luck,
JeffD

Mel Fulks
04-11-2013, 3:13 PM
Looks to me like one of those cutters commonly used before they went to carbide. If it is for a 3/4 inch spindle ,I don't think they are still being made. They will hold up the best at 8000 rpm. They still turn up and are usually cheap.

Mike Delyster
04-12-2013, 12:32 AM
Looks very smiler to some old Delta 1/2" cutters I have.

Peter Quinn
04-13-2013, 7:31 PM
I'm wondering who manufacturers that cutter of yours? Maybe it's just the pic but it appears to be very little body around the rim? Aside of that I'd just clean it up and run it....only way to know for sure is to give it a test cut;)

good luck,
JeffD

Looks to me like somebody took a 1/2" steel cutter and bored it out to 3/4". Maybe its the angle of the photo, but that looks scary to me too. I wouldn't worry about the tips shattering, but I would worry about the whole thing warping under load. For what it is I'd scrap it and replace personally, probably with carbide.

Bob Coleman
04-13-2013, 10:12 PM
Its actually just counterbored for a stub spindle screw. The other side is the correct thickness.

Chris Fournier
04-13-2013, 11:12 PM
That's one of three wings. I'd go ahead and use it on a trial piece, not ideal but likely workable.