PDA

View Full Version : E.C. Atkins docking saw for Bell Systems

Michael Ray Smith
04-10-2013, 2:03 PM
I just bought this Atkins docking saw on the large auction site -- mainly because I wanted to study it. I have seen references to docking saws, but I had never actually laid my hands on one. Lee Valley has a nice description of docking saws on its website, focused particularly on the Disston version. http://www.leevalley.com/en/newsletters/Woodworking/4/5/collection.htm. The 1923 Atkins catalog says that this one is 18 gauge on the tooth edge taper-ground to 20 gauge. It's nominally 30 inches, 4 1/2 ppi, designed for cutting green wood with peg-shaped teeth (i.e., 45 degrees on each side of the tooth) beveled on the front side of the tooth like a cross-cut saw (don't know the fleam angle). Judging from the Bell System braces made by North Bros./Stanley, Bell didn't buy no junk tools -- or at least didn't allow its name to go any any junk tools. I suspect Bell linemen used them to trim tree branches out of the way. With the malleable iron handle as tight as can be, this is as rugged as I expected. I have a downed tree in my backyard, so maybe I'll try it out tonight. I hope it's not quite as dull as it looks.

Michael Ray Smith
04-11-2013, 2:10 AM
Sorry. obviously the teeth aren't 45 degrees on each side, but rather 30 degrees from vertical on each side. In other words, 30 degrees of rake. And since both sides of each tooth are actually beveled, I suppose that makes this saw work the same way on push and pull. The bevels are on the "inside of the set," meaning the teeth are bent away from the bevel.

Bryan Cowing
04-11-2013, 6:54 AM
most likely to cut lead sleeves to length for splicing. I can't remember the sizes, largest lead sleeve we had at work, maybe 12" diameter and came in lengths about 6 ft wrapped in cardboard tube ( large sizes). Saw I had was double cut, top / bottom with coarse / fine tooth, about 16 or 18" long blade. Tree work we had pruning saws, curved blade on a short pole ( also doubled as a wire raising tool) that you added sections for more height.

Jim Koepke
04-11-2013, 12:59 PM
My position at Pacific Bell in the early 1970's was as an installer. Our kits had a saw specifically for tree trimming or other light sawing needed to instal a phone or a new line to a residence. This in no way is to ignore the fact that the different trades involved with the providing of telephone service didn't have other uses for hand saws. Linemen would sometimes need to cut cross arms. As Bryan said, splicers had a need to cut lead sleeves. Other workers likely had other needs for a saw.

Judging from the Bell System braces made by North Bros./Stanley, Bell didn't buy no junk tools -- or at least didn't allow its name to go any any junk tools.

The name was on the tools as an identification more than a brand of pride.

During my employment at "the phone company" they were regulated by state Public Utility Commissions or other agencies which varied from state to state. They were allowed a fixed rate of return on their operating expenses. Better tools increased the cost of operations. Increased cost of operations directly effected the return on their investment.

10% of $1,000 is better than 10% or $100.

Back in the old days there were basically three divisions of one big company. AT&T was the all encompassing holding company and the long distance provider. Bell and Bell labs was the arm of acquisition of things made by outside companies. Western Electric (Northern Electric in Canada) was the in house maker and refurbishing arm. Then there were the "Baby Bells" which were the regional customer interface arms.

It all got broken up in an antitrust suit when outside companies wanted in on the long distance business. This dissolution is likely the reason "Bell System" tools are now a common site at flea markets and auction sites.

Please Note: The above is based on my memory of events from over 40 years ago, so some of it may not be fully correct.

jtk

Mike Holbrook
04-15-2013, 4:18 AM
Michael, I eyed a saw, maybe the same one at auction last week. I did not bid on that one but I scored two Atkins saws: 18" 12 pt and a 26" either 6 or 9 pt last week. I like those Atkins saws. Let us know how that saw cuts, after you get a chance to use it.