PDA

View Full Version : Trend Airshield Pro

William Tanner
04-10-2013, 11:11 AM
Most of my work is done on a lathe. I was thinking about purchasing the Trend Airshield. I have a neck injury and was wondering if the weight of the gear would likely aggravate my injury. Overall, I was wondering if Creekers have been satisfied with this produce. Specifically, has anyone with a bad neck had problems with the Airshield.

Wade Lippman
04-10-2013, 11:51 AM
I have the pro. It does a good job and is not particulary heavy, but I rarely use it because you can't really use earmuffs with it.
So if you don't use earmuffs with your lathe it should be fine for you. Well, the pro; never used the other one.

Brian Tymchak
04-10-2013, 1:12 PM
... but I rarely use it because you can't really use earmuffs with it.

There are clip-on ear muffs available for the Pro (http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?site=ROCKLER&page=31972). I don't have them so I can't say how good they are.

Alan Lightstone
04-10-2013, 10:37 PM
There are clip-on ear muffs available for the Pro (http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?site=ROCKLER&page=31972). I don't have them so I can't say how good they are.

They don't work very well. A reason why I rarely use my Trend Airshield Pro.

John Coloccia
04-10-2013, 11:20 PM
Most of my work is done on a lathe. I was thinking about purchasing the Trend Airshield. I have a neck injury and was wondering if the weight of the gear would likely aggravate my injury. Overall, I was wondering if Creekers have been satisfied with this produce. Specifically, has anyone with a bad neck had problems with the Airshield.

It will depend on the injury. It's not light but it's not heavy. I've worn mine for hours at a time. I originally got it when I was doing a lot of turning. I don't do any turning anymore, but I find it hyper convenient for all other machine work because I can put it on and completely forget about eye/face/lung protection and just move from machine to machine and get my work done. I will say that after an hour or two of wearing it, I'm glad to have it off, but it's not uncomfortable.....but it's not light as a feather either.

re: ear protection
I buy ear plugs by the box...the kind with the cord around them so one set lasts me the entire day.

Where do you live, William? Anywhere remotely close to Hartford, CT? If you do, let me know and I will be happy to invite you over to my shop to try out my Airshield Pro. Either way, list where you live. If not me, perhaps there is some other member near you that will let you try one out.

Bill Edwards(2)
04-11-2013, 8:21 AM
There's one for sale in Deals and Discounts... Oops.. Classifieds

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?201872-Trend-Airshield-Pro-Ear-Protectors

Wade Lippman
04-11-2013, 11:55 AM
They don't work very well. A reason why I rarely use my Trend Airshield Pro.

That's what everyone says; hard to see why they coudn't do better.
I use the in ear plugs when I use the Airshield with something noisy; but I sure don't like it.

William Tanner
04-11-2013, 11:29 PM
I live in Washington State John. I tried one today. It will be ok unless I lean over too much. It will then strain my neck. Thanks for the comments.

Andy Pratt
04-11-2013, 11:51 PM
I have one and have always liked it. I have the earmuffs and they are a close fit to work right but they do work OK as long as you have the head harness properly positioned. Maybe it's a head size/shape thing. If you wear the head harness high on your head you will get a much better earmuff fit. If things are off they may not seal perfectly and I would imagine in that case you only get 15-20db protection. I never find the weight noticeable unless I am doing a lot of work with my head pointed right down (chin to chest kind of thing) and it has only bothered me after multiple hours in those cases.

I've since upgraded to a 3m version with HEPA and organic filter capability, but that was much pricier and has a belt mounted filter which comes with its own pros/cons.