PDA

View Full Version : Odd Tote on a Stanley #3

Bob Coleman
04-10-2013, 10:05 AM
I started working on a type 11 #3 I picked up a while back, and noticed as I was putting it back together, that the lateral adjust was rubbing on the top of the tote. So I fiddled with it for a little while without success before it occured to me to compare it to the tote on my other #3. And lo and behold its about an eighth of an inch too tall. The rest of the dimensions seem pretty close. The hole for the screw is a little off as well - it looks like it was bored from both ends, but didn't meet on a straight line in the middle so there's a bend about halfway down. The screw fits, but I had to tap it out.

Anybody seen something like this? Maybe a user-made replacement? (If so, its very well done except for the height.) Is there a plane it should fit? It doesn't have a hole for a screw at the toe.

Looks like I can't post pictures from work - I'll post some this evening.

Jessica Pierce-LaRose
04-10-2013, 10:54 AM
Is the lateral adjust lever bent? That's a problem I've come across frequently. Does the wood of the handle match the species used for the time period of plane? It could be a replacement pulled from a similarly sized plane that doesn't quite match. (I know I've made Stanley handles fit on Millers Falls planes, for example; but things were just a bit off, I have no idea how it would work the other way round.)

Actually - there isn't a hole in the front of the tote for another screw, or any signs of reshaping is there? In that case, they may have grabbed a handle from a number 5 and tried to make it fit... the templates at Lee Valley show starting with a stock size 1/8" taller for the #5 and up totes compared to the #3/#4 totes, and the #5 and up totes, the hole is listed at 27 degrees for the larger totes compared to 26 for the #3/#4 totes . . .

There may be a better example of the measurements on these, but Lee Valley's templates are the first ones that sprung to mind. (And I have 'em bookmarked)

Have a look: might point you towards and answer:

Lee Valley plane handle templates (http://www.leevalley.com/us/wood/page.aspx?p=63262)

Bob Coleman
04-10-2013, 10:29 PM
Here are some pictures. Its just sort of slightly larger all the way around. No second screw hole as for a #5. Its rosewood and the finish is fairly dark, but not as heavy as some of the later stanley totes. It might fit a #4 better than a #3 since the plane is slightly larger. Tote in question is behind in the first, to the left in the 2nd and 3rd.

Adam Cruea
04-11-2013, 8:24 AM
Stupid question. . .

Are the two #3's you're comparing the same type? It could also be that maybe that's an "oops" tote or something that slipped through.

I've swapped totes on planes before with no problem (due to one having a chipped horn and aggravating my thumb webbing).

Is it possible the frog is slid back too far or something?

[edit]I was just reading this: http://www.leevalley.com/us/html/16j4010j.pdf

LV says that there may be slight differences from type to type.

It should be noted that Stanley planes have been manufactured for many years and there are small differences from type to type. The template is for a typical handle; however, it is best to measure the existing handle and adjust the template accordingly, particularly with regard to the relative sizes and locations of the mounting details.

Bob Coleman
04-11-2013, 12:46 PM
The large tote is off a type 11 plane, the smaller off a later type (13 or 14 probably, keyhole not kidney shaped lever cap with stanley embossed on it)

I'm thinking its homemade - but done quite a while ago. I'll see if I can get it to work with a useful frog position, or swap it out on a #4 I've got laying around somewhere.

Thanks for the input guys!

don wilwol
04-12-2013, 9:02 AM
Stanley had a habit of just using up whatever stock it had left over even after changing design, so seeing situations like this is common. It may be impossible to tell if the tote is original or not. Remember the type studies are not an exact science and tend to melt together at times. When making replacement totes, its often required to "customized" it for the plane at hand.

Zach Dillinger
04-12-2013, 9:06 AM
Stanley had a habit of just using up whatever stock it had left over even after changing design, so seeing situations like this is common. It may be impossible to tell if the tote is original or not. Remember the type studies are not an exact science and tend to melt together at times. When making replacement totes, its often required to "customized" it for the plane at hand.

How dare they use up stock like that! Didn't they realize that it would confuse Stanley collector / type-ologists in a hundred years!! :)

don wilwol
04-12-2013, 9:11 AM
How dare they use up stock like that! Didn't they realize that it would confuse Stanley collector / type-ologists in a hundred years!! :)

It sure makes life interesting. "type-ologists" - I like that!

Zach Dillinger
04-12-2013, 9:19 AM
It sure makes life interesting. "type-ologists" - I like that!

It's a whole lot less confusing than "typists" :)

Brian Myers
04-12-2013, 9:24 PM
Bob ,
Is the tote of your type 11 about 4-3/8" tall (at it's tallest point)? Your's looks identical to mine right done to the hole for nub on the casting .

Bob Coleman
04-13-2013, 10:13 PM
Yep, 4 & 3/8.

Brian Myers
04-15-2013, 7:39 PM
Bob ,
I have a type 11 , type 13( has a small depth adjuster though) , and what looks to be another type 11 but with a sweetheart blade(assume it's a replacement). All have the same tote but the knob is a different matter. The first type 11 has a squat knob. The type 13 has a tall knob but the the second type 11 has a short knob but not as squat as the first type 11.