PDA

View Full Version : homemade Dust collector question

bobby milam
04-09-2013, 11:12 PM
I saw an ad

"Home-made cyclone dust collector based on plans from internet. 3 hp 15 amp 5000rpm direct drive motor, 10 inch impeller, 5 inch intake port, 30 gallon collection, Donaldson filters, plus extra 5 inch steel duct lines and one 5-4 inch reducer line. I don't know the airflow specifics but it works great and very little dust gets to the filters."

Isn't that pretty high rpm's for a DC and a little small on the impeller? It is so cheap that I am tempted to buy it and give it a try. I want a cyclone and a little larger than my HF, but there is no money for one right now. The filters and duct lines are probably worth more than he is asking. Does it sound like it's even worth looking at? If the impeller was larger and the rpm's were down closer to normal rpm's on most DC's I'd go ahead and take the leap.

Jim Neeley
04-10-2013, 2:49 AM
Bobby,

Run away.. or get mighty good ear plugs!! :)

The combination of 3hp, 15a and 5000 rpm tells me its almost certainly a universal motor.. like in a router or cheap shop-vac. If it's 120V the 3hp is a "miracle of modern marketing" and has little connection with reality, like my "6hp 10A Cra*sman shopvac) Much shorter life than the typical induction motor and louder than heck. Were it an induction motor, 3600 would be about max.

Jim

bobby milam
04-10-2013, 12:12 PM
Yeah, I just got a response and he used a motor from a tabletop saw