PDA

View Full Version : Leaving your mark?

Keel McDonald
05-12-2005, 7:19 AM
Good morning all. I have been thinking a long time about different ways to mark my projects with my name, date, etc. Usually what it comes down to for me is a Sharpie pen. I have really considered buying one of those wood branding irons, but am not sure. Does anyone have any experience using one of those. I am also open to any other ways to "leave my mark." Thanks for sharing.

John Hart
05-12-2005, 7:24 AM
I wanted the same thing Keel, but I wasn't willing to pay the money for a custom made branding iron so I took a piece of brass and a grinder and made my own. It's just a heart (to go with my name) that fits on my wood burner. Some day, I'm going to try a more complex signature.

Ken Salisbury
05-12-2005, 7:34 AM
I have a branding iron which I use to use (no longer). I use a Sharpie on some things, but mostly I use:
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=3112&stc=1

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=3113&stc=1

I am also experimenting on casting my own medallions (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=19857)

Bob Winkler
05-12-2005, 7:58 AM
The people I build for (family) want to see my actual signature and any personal comments I care to add. Because of that, I use a Sharpie, but always epoxy a coin with the correct year next to the message. I often use a "special" coin such as buffalo nickel or dollar coin. For me, it's one way to add instant value :D.

Bob

Charlie Jones
05-12-2005, 9:22 AM
I use a branding iron and sign and date.

Steve Aiken
05-12-2005, 9:38 AM
My darling kids bought me the Lee Valley branding iron for Christmas this past year. http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&p=32191&cat=1,43456,43462 I heat it up with the propane plumbing torch and it takes about 2 - 3 minutes. It takes a little practice on some scrap to get the right balance between too long and not-long-enough to leave a nice clean impression. I really like the branding iron myself.

Bob, I like the idea of the coin. I think I'll start adding that for future projects. Do you recess the coin with a Forstner bit, or just epoxy it on the surface?

STeve

Donnie Raines
05-12-2005, 9:54 AM
As cocky as this may sound, I sign every thing with a sharpie and date it. You never no what the future will hold...maybe I will be famous one day for "something" and the items I have made will be more valueable to the loved ones they were built for.

You just never no..... :D :cool:

Kevin Herber
05-12-2005, 10:17 AM
On a recent project I used a fine Sharpie to sign my name, date and the name/brand of the finish.

- Kevin

Darren Ford
05-12-2005, 10:59 AM
I carve my initials into glue squeeze out.

Jason Tuinstra
05-12-2005, 11:06 AM
Keel, if you do a search for "branding iron" you'll find quite a bit of information from previous posts.

Ellen Benkin
05-12-2005, 11:50 AM
As an old history teacher, I believe that all our work should be signed, dated, and, if possible, commented on. I think it's exciting to look at furniture or cabinets and find a maker's mark and a date. I try to remember to use a Sharpie before finishing, but usually forget. I think I may have to invest in a branding iron. After all, that's what Sam Maloof uses!

Daniel Rabinovitz
05-12-2005, 11:59 AM
I use an electric branding iron with date attached
Boy 5's and 2's sure are different when reading upside down and backwards. :D
Daniel

Frank Parker
05-12-2005, 12:05 PM
I use a electric engraver the kind that are used for marking tools and such, there under $20.00 you can get them at amazon or most hardware stores with a little practice you can use them just like a pen.

Frank

Keith Outten
05-12-2005, 12:18 PM
Building on Franks electric engraver idea you can use a round blank made from aluminum or copper. Engrave the blanks and insert them using a forsner bit. You can add your signature, comments, date and any other information you prefer and it will last through the ages.

Another option is to use low stress metal stamps on the metal blanks. Of couse you can contact any of the SMC members who own laser engravers and have custom medalions made with your signature and custom logo, if the piece is valuable the price of a custom medalion is not significant.

Lee Schierer
05-12-2005, 12:26 PM
My Mom purchased my branding iron for me as a Christmas gift. I've used it ever since. I also embed a penny from the current year next tothe brand. A penny isn't likely to be removed by anyone in the future for the value of the coin itself.

Bob Winkler
05-12-2005, 12:42 PM
Bob, I like the idea of the coin. I think I'll start adding that for future projects. Do you recess the coin with a Forstner bit, or just epoxy it on the surface?

STeve

Steve, I do recess the coin with a forster bit. I scuff up the back of the coin with sandpaper and use 5 min. epoxy to glue it on. I often use the current "state quarter", but have been known to use other coins that I like. On the bookcase I'm currently building, I'm using a "walking liberty" silver dollar. Because this coin is beautiful and also relatively valuable (about $22), I'm mounting it using a clear plastic case, attached to a "secret" false bottom compartment underneath the bottom shelf.

The coin is secondary. I believe that when I'm long gone, my family will treasure my signature and message more than a piece of metal with a date.

Bob

Martin Shupe
05-12-2005, 3:35 PM
I have used a penny before, but not a sharpie. I am considering a branding iron, like Jason's, but have not pulled the trigger yet.

For those that use a sharpie...

I am assuming you sign before you start to finish. How does BLO and Varnish affect the sharpie ink? Does it ever smear? Has anyone tried this on cherry? I am wondering if it will show up after the cherry darkens? Those are the reasons I have not tried this yet, but as I complete more projects, I feel the need to do something besides the coin.

Donnie Raines
05-12-2005, 3:57 PM
I have used a penny before, but not a sharpie. I am considering a branding iron, like Jason's, but have not pulled the trigger yet.

For those that use a sharpie...

I am assuming you sign before you start to finish. How does BLO and Varnish affect the sharpie ink? Does it ever smear? Has anyone tried this on cherry? I am wondering if it will show up after the cherry darkens? Those are the reasons I have not tried this yet, but as I complete more projects, I feel the need to do something besides the coin.

I sign in a location that is not directly visable...say the backside of a cabinet or the bottom of a drawer. These areas ar rarely finished in something that will adversely effect the sharpie.

Jim Becker
05-12-2005, 6:36 PM
I went with an electric branding iron, although I use pyrography for my turnings.

Steve Inniss
05-12-2005, 7:25 PM
I carve my initials into glue squeeze out.

Darren -too funny. -Steve

Alan Turner
05-13-2005, 4:43 AM
I wipe a bit of shellac on, and use india ink in a nib pen, with my name printed, and the date and "Philadelphia".

Mike Hedges
05-13-2005, 7:18 AM
I use a branding iron and put on the date..

Jason Tuinstra
05-13-2005, 10:52 AM

Martin, I have signed over dried BLO and there is no problem with that. The spot that you choose to sign, will probably not see much sun light, so don't worry about darkening. And even the piece did darken, I can't imagine that it would matter all that much. If you're worried, sign an old scrap of cherry that's darkened in the shop and see what you get.

Robert Johnstone
05-13-2005, 11:38 AM
Christmas 2003 brought me an electric signature branding iron. I love it and it should last more years than I've got years. I use an electric wood burner to add the date.

Randy Meijer
05-14-2005, 12:05 AM
I'm surprised that no one has suggested using a "Dremmel" type tool with a very fine burr. Anybody ever tried that??

I wonder if a "Sharpie" signature will still be legible after a 150 years??

Mark Singer
05-14-2005, 1:59 AM
I have been telling LOML leaving her Mark....is not a good idea

lou sansone
05-14-2005, 7:38 AM
I have never signed my pieces, but have been giving it some thought. I would use a branding iron to do it. The question is what to sign. After some carefull consideration I thought that what J.S. Bach signed almost all his music with would be appropiate for me personally...

"Soli Gloria Deo"

regards
lou

Kent Parker
05-14-2005, 10:53 AM
I have an electric pen sized soldering iron that I've used. I've also tried a metal engraving tool with good sucess. Yes you have to free hand it but thats what "hand made" is all about.

KP

Keith Christopher
05-15-2005, 2:12 PM
I have never signed my pieces, but have been giving it some thought. I would use a branding iron to do it. The question is what to sign. After some carefull consideration I thought that what J.S. Bach signed almost all his music with would be appropiate for me personally...

"Soli Gloria Deo"

regards
lou

Lou,

I like this. I really do.