PDA

View Full Version : General Metalworking Does anyone know the maker of this machine?

David Larry Smith
04-09-2013, 3:03 PM
HI i HAVE THIS MACHINE THAT HAS NO IDENTIFICATION ON IT EXCEPT A TAG RIVETED ON RIGHT WITH A LARGE 225 ON IT. IT WAS SETUP TO CUT KEYWAYS IN SHAFTS, BUT I DON'T THINK IT IS ALL IT WAS MADE FOR---THE SPINDLE HAS 1 1/2 X 8 THREADS AND THE INSIDE OF SPINDLE TAKES R8 COLLETS, SO IT IS MAYBE A HORIZONTAL MILL. IT HAS A THREE DOVETAILED AXIS FOR THE TABLE. THE MOTOR RUNS A V-259460 BELT TO A LOWER SHAFT INSIDE AND IT DRIVES THE SPINDLE SHAFT BY SPROCKETS AND CHAIN. I'LL TRY LOADING A PCTURE OF IT----ANY HELP IN IDENTIFING IT WILL BE APPRECIATED THANKS DAVE

David Larry Smith
04-09-2013, 4:56 PM
HI i HAVE THIS MACHINE THAT HAS NO IDENTIFICATION ON IT EXCEPT A TAG RIVETED ON RIGHT WITH A LARGE 225 ON IT. IT WAS SETUP TO CUT KEYWAYS IN SHAFTS, BUT I DON'T THINK IT IS ALL IT WAS MADE FOR---THE SPINDLE HAS 1 1/2 X 8 THREADS AND THE INSIDE OF SPINDLE TAKES R8 COLLETS, SO IT IS MAYBE A HORIZONTAL MILL. IT HAS A THREE DOVETAILED AXIS FOR THE TABLE. THE MOTOR RUNS A V-259460 BELT TO A LOWER SHAFT INSIDE AND IT DRIVES THE SPINDLE SHAFT BY SPROCKETS AND CHAIN. I'LL TRY LOADING A PCTURE OF IT----ANY HELP IN IDENTIFING IT WILL BE APPRECIATED THANKS DAVE
the collet is shorter shank and taper than an r8 and has coarse threads for drawbar--an r8 would fit but not seat in full taper. The two collets that came with it would hold cutters with 1/2" shanks Dave

John Aspinall
04-12-2013, 10:31 AM
The biggest single collection of old machinery pics is probably at http://lathes.co.uk/ . But that's a needle-in-haystack business if you don't have any other identifying marks to narrow the search.
(My first guess was Benchmaster, but I didn't see any match.)

Rather than ask at a woodworking site, you're probably better off asking at one of the many machinist sites - you're just more likely to have your picture seen by someone who might have owned/worked on that model.

David Larry Smith
04-16-2013, 2:43 PM
John I have asked on machinist sites also but no one has been able to identify it--someone had a picture of a small hardinge mill that was similar but different headstock and spindle setup. I think it is was made in USA but that's just a guess on my thinking. Thanks for interest Dave

ray hampton
04-16-2013, 9:15 PM
is it possible to contact all of the companies that produces milling machines